Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:44 AM   #76
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
New image of proto-type controller. Looks a bit better from this angle.
yep, but only by just a bit ;-)

Seriously though it just looks like such as small surface area I just can't see it being used very much (like six axis was barely used).....
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:59 AM   #77
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
yep, but only by just a bit ;-)

Seriously though it just looks like such as small surface area I just can't see it being used very much (like six axis was barely used).....
Yep, it really does look next to useless. I hope I eat my words, but cannot see it being used for anything other than right side for start and left side for select.

Only decent thing they could do with it is use it to manipulate maps. Even then it is a bit on the small side.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:05 AM   #78
-SD-
macrumors 6502

When I first heard of a touch screen on the controller I was initially imagining something halfway between a Vita and a Upad...

Then it turns out the screen is, in fact, just a Vita-style touch pad... ok, I'm cool with that, I think the rear touch is a nice addition to the handheld.

And now it turns out it's not a rear touch pad, but one that's the size of a postage stamp, squeezed in between the D-pad and buttons that more than likely isn't multi-touch.

Yeah, it does seem a little pointless.....

This one occasion when I would have loved for Sony to have been 'inspired' by Nintendo, and then shown them how to do it properly.

-SD- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:04 PM   #79
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SD- View Post
When I first heard of a touch screen on the controller I was initially imagining something halfway between a Vita and a Upad...

Then it turns out the screen is, in fact, just a Vita-style touch pad... ok, I'm cool with that, I think the rear touch is a nice addition to the handheld.

And now it turns out it's not a rear touch pad, but one that's the size of a postage stamp, squeezed in between the D-pad and buttons that more than likely isn't multi-touch.

Yeah, it does seem a little pointless.....

This one occasion when I would have loved for Sony to have been 'inspired' by Nintendo, and then shown them how to do it properly.

To me it seems more like an additional navigation thing. Did you ever have an official BT keyboard for the PS3? It had a method of moving the cursor by using the keys as (effectively) a low-resolution touchpad.
Thing is they could stretch out the controller quite easily depending on how important they want to make the touchpad.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:57 PM   #80
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

How is everyone going to watch it on Wednesday?
I'm thinking IGN, they are going to do a sort of build up beforehand, can make a night of it. I am so excited.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:00 PM   #81
-SD-
macrumors 6502

I didn't realise it was quite as late as 18:00ET. I was thinking it would be more along Apple's schedule so it would be on at around 17/18:00 here in the UK, so I could watch it whilst eating me t...

Anyway, I'll be sat here at 23:00 watching on the iPad via Engadget or Joystiq I assume.

-SD- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:12 PM   #82
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Is there a feed direct from Sony?
peskaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:52 PM   #83
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskaa View Post
Is there a feed direct from Sony?
I believe that it is going to be streamed on your regional Playstation site.

However, I am sure that your preferred gaming site will be doing something too.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:08 PM   #84
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yep, it really does look next to useless. I hope I eat my words, but cannot see it being used for anything other than right side for start and left side for select.

Only decent thing they could do with it is use it to manipulate maps. Even then it is a bit on the small side.
I think developers can do some exciting things. Just like you, I'm not sure whether or not it is going to be used a lot or whether or not it is even useful but we can see quite a lot of changes if these pictures turn out to be accurate:

- New, moderner design [taste, you like it or you don't]
- Bigger, longer handles too [something a lot of people have been asking for]
- Improved controls: analog sticks improved (more Xbox 360-like, better grip), not visible in picture but there are claims it has better (L2/R2) triggers, more spacing between the famous four PS-buttons (for those with bigger hands)
- Improved d-pad: more Vita-like, which gamers really seem to enoy

These are just some of the improvements I immediately see. It's what people have been asking for: not something entirely new, like that boomerang-controller we saw with PS3, but definitely an improved dualshock 3.

Then there are also some things that catch my eye:

- Headphone jack
This generation, headphones for gamers have become more and more popular. The cheap ones usually have to plugged in somehow and the more expensive ones are usually wireless, but experience more lag. An integrated headphone jack allows you, as a gamer, to connect it with your gaming-headphones without long, sluggish cables.

- Speaker (+ microphone?)
I have doubts if developers are going to use this, but if integrated correctly, it can add to the experience

- Touchpad
Well, as some here mention, we should wonder whether it is going to be useful. That said, I am really excited Sony is actually trying out improved or new ways of input for gaming. It means Sony is trying out new stuff, looking to improve games. This touchpad might be used by developers a lot - or maybe not. To me it indicates that Sony is at least trying to innovate; trying to improve the gaming experience.

- Integrated move functionality?
Again, questions here. Is it going to be useful? And do we want to have a glowing controllers in our hands all the time? I don't know, but let's not forget we're talking here about a prototype. Again, we don't know whether or not it is going to be useful, but to me this indicates Sony is trying to improve the gaming experience.

-------------------------------------------------
I see potential for the touchpad. I see potential for the integrated speakers. I see big improvements on the d-pad, sticks and over-all design.

It's a prototype, but Sony is at least busy trying to somehow improve the gaming experience. I'm excited, and we'll see what next week's event will bring.

----------

Quote:
I didn't realise it was quite as late as 18:00ET. I was thinking it would be more along Apple's schedule so it would be on at around 17/18:00 here in the UK, so I could watch it whilst eating me t...

Anyway, I'll be sat here at 23:00 watching on the iPad via Engadget or Joystiq I assume.

European customers are more loyal to brands. That is why, even though the Xbox 360 launched almost 1.5 year sooner, the PS3 has done better in Europe then the Xbox 360 (with, however, the notable exception of the UK).

Sony needs to get the American market back. Also, let's not forget Sony is a Japanese company. I believe this event is perfectly timed for Sony: a late-afternoon event in the United States (so enough time for the media to talk about it the entire day), while in Japan the event starts at 8 AM - just when a regular day is about to start. Again, enough time for media to talk about it all day.

In Europe, the event will take places at 11 PM UK time or 12 AM Central European Time. It doesn't really matter if European customers are sleeping when they are livestreaming the event, because media outlets will talk about it in the morning and, again, European customers are more loyal so there is no real _need_ for an all-day hype.

Last edited by ThatsMeRight; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:38 PM   #85
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
European customers are more loyal to brands. That is why, even though the Xbox 360 launches almost 1.5 year sooner, the PS3 has done better in Europe then the Xbox 360 (with, however, the notable exception of the UK).
Brand loyalty is personally something that interests me. And I think you make a good point by flagging it up. Sony have been slated for their (lack of) Playstation marketing this entire PS3 generation. Maybe as a result of the PS2's popularity.
Regardless, I think that brand loyalty is key for Playstation, especially now. All of the Xbox owners I know here in the UK do not appear to be brand loyal at all. Not something I can say for my Playstation owning friends.

People need to be reminded why they loved the playstation/Playstation 2. Maybe that is why Playstation have began this 'evolution of Playstation' campaign - https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:58 PM   #86
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Brand loyalty is personally something that interests me. And I think you make a good point by flagging it up. Sony have been slated for their (lack of) Playstation marketing this entire PS3 generation. Maybe as a result of the PS2's popularity.
Regardless, I think that brand loyalty is key for Playstation, especially now. All of the Xbox owners I know here in the UK do not appear to be brand loyal at all. Not something I can say for my Playstation owning friends.

People need to be reminded why they loved the playstation/Playstation 2. Maybe that is why Playstation have began this 'evolution of Playstation' campaign - https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
Sony recently hired a new advertising agency (I believe just a few weeks ago) and dumped the one responsible for all PlayStation 3 ads, so hopefully that's an area that will improve.

Last time I saw a PlayStation-ad on TV must have been more than a year ago.

The 'evolution of PlayStation'-campaign is just a way to get everybody 'hyped up' for next week's event, but maybe you are right: it might be Sony trying to bring up some old 'happy' feelings about PlayStation. I was surely excited when I saw the first Evolution of PlayStation-video yesterday.

About the brand loyalty thing: I think I'm quite brand loyal as well. To give an example:

- Windows user
I like Windows. A lot. If Apple wanted to convince me to go for OS X, than they would have a really hard time. Not only would they need to convince me to get acquainted with an entirely new operating system, but they would also be asking to give up the OS I grew up with.
I'm not saying it is impossible, but it's not easy either.

Last edited by ThatsMeRight; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:39 AM   #87
ThE.MeSsEnGeR
macrumors 6502a

I can't stream it... low bandwidth here.... so I'm pretty sure engadget will have a live blog, just like any other event... I can't wait!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:46 AM   #88
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Only two more days, and still no substantial leaks except for the dev kit controller photos. I'm impressed, Sony, way to keep the lid on this time!!
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:08 PM   #89
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Well there is an artical in the Times (a British paper) claiming that the PS3 will cost 300 in the UK. This apparently comes from leaked documents.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/busine...cle3691304.ece
You cannot read the whole article without an account.

Now I absolutely hate reading gaming news from non-gaming media. So here is a pile of salt.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:05 PM   #90
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Well there is an artical in the Times (a British paper) claiming that the PS3 will cost 300 in the UK. This apparently comes from leaked documents.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/busine...cle3691304.ece
You cannot read the whole article without an account.

Now I absolutely hate reading gaming news from non-gaming media. So here is a pile of salt.
Maybe will come in at $299, because it's a STREAMING device?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57...t-says-report/

Does that mean you will REQUIRE an Internet connection to play, and you are merely sending controller inputs to a server, and you're just watching the video gameplay on the server? ISP with data caps will love this...

Would make sense - Sony will be able to control DRM and backwards compatibility since everything's is now running on their servers. Buying a disc - it will only have license info...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:30 PM   #91
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post

Does that mean you will REQUIRE an Internet connection to play, and you are merely sending controller inputs to a server, and you're just watching the video gameplay on the server? ISP with data caps will love this...

Would make sense - Sony will be able to control DRM and backwards compatibility since everything's is now running on their servers. Buying a disc - it will only have license info...
Streaming games is only any use to people with fibre broadband. Something that I cannot get where I live.
I just don't think we are ready for that yet.
I think there will be multiple SKU's, and if there is any truth to a 300 PS4, then it will have a tiny hard drive.

I am still hoping Sony let us upgrade the specs
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:38 PM   #92
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post

The streaming rumours are only for PS3 backwards compatibility, not new games. $299 for a streaming box would be way too much anyway!
peskaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:06 PM   #93
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
Quote:
I am still hoping Sony let us upgrade the specs
But most likely they will continue to lower the specs, and make it look/feel cheaper ;-)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:47 PM   #94
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
Quote:
That much for a PS3 even after the PS4 comes out? I feel bad for you guys... I would expect a major price drop for the PS3 at that time.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:35 PM   #95
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
That much for a PS3 even after the PS4 comes out? I feel bad for you guys... I would expect a major price drop for the PS3 at that time.
Oops, I'm just so excited I'm all over the place.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:32 AM   #96
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Assuming that's real, my guess is that the light on the top serves the same basic function as the globe on the move controller: allowing its position to be tracked with a camera.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:55 AM   #97
saotomefirst
macrumors regular

LOL I just came in to the forums to ask if it was worth it buying the old PS3 or if it was better to wait for the PS4! Didn't realize the launch day was TODAY! :P

Anyway, does anyone know if Sony pretends to keep backward compatibility with PS3s blu-rays?
saotomefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #98
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saotomefirst View Post
LOL I just came in to the forums to ask if it was worth it buying the old PS3 or if it was better to wait for the PS4! Didn't realize the launch day was TODAY! :P

Anyway, does anyone know if Sony pretends to keep backward compatibility with PS3s blu-rays?

Today is the reveal - don't expect it to launch before winter!

I wouldn't expect full PS3 compatibility, as the processing architecture is very different. Rumors say the PS4 will stream PS3 games using the acquired Gaikai technology. But it's only rumors and speculation at this point.

Hopefully we'll know more tonight!!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 AM   #99
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taustin Powers View Post
Today is the reveal - don't expect it to launch before winter!

Hopefully we'll know more tonight!!
Winter starts December 21... I expect it to be in stores before that day.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #100
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Winter starts December 21...
Feels like it starts a lot earlier where I live...

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games