Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yano729

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
cracking with the case, I had it replaced once a couple of years ago but the seal is broken and I wanted to get it fixed again. I was just curious if anyone still knows if they still do these repairs or if these machines are considered "retired". Thanks in advance for any advice.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They'll still replace the top case for free and do other repairs, but only on the mid-2007 and newer models. The 2006 models are in the "Vintage" stage and will not be serviced anymore.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
cracking with the case, I had it replaced once a couple of years ago but the seal is broken and I wanted to get it fixed again. I was just curious if anyone still knows if they still do these repairs or if these machines are considered "retired". Thanks in advance for any advice.

do u have apple care?

yano729

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
No I don't have apple care, and that sucks cause my comp is a late 2006, what would the difference be in replacing the top case?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
No I don't have apple care, and that sucks cause my comp is a late 2006, what would the difference be in replacing the top case?

They cannot service "vintage" machines - after 6 or so years they stop producing parts for them - so even if the top cases are the same, if they were to break anything else whilst doing it, they couldn't repair it.

You can get the top case yourself though - it's really not a difficult repair.

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I went to a premium reseller in Belgium and they told me that they do it for Macbooks of 2008 and 2009, so a 2008 Macbook I brought in was still eligible. They changed the keyboard and display bezel for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.