Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

Apple upgraded my iPad from 3rd to 4th gen!

Hello macrumors,
I was one of the launch day buyers of the 3rd generation iPad, since then, I've had to replace it many (12-13) times, I've had ones crashing left and right, hardware glitches, dead pixels, hair under the screen, as well as one where parts of the backlight bar had died. I took the one that I had thought had the least problems, then, I was at my apple store on Friday, and was talking to the manager that had helped me from march-may, he said bring it in and I'll see what I could do (I hadn't done a swap in 9 months) so, yesterday, I went back in (also needed to get my rMBP fixed too, which that had another story all together) and I showed it to the manager, he got on the phone with AppleCare and processed an exchange, a little while later, he came out of the back with a brand new iPad 4th gen, we did the swap and first one was fine, so I took it home, very happily! I wouldn't try to do this, I had A LOT of problems, so I would think I have a very unique case.

Now, about the MacBook, I had no appointment, but the same manager went and got his best genius, immidatly the genius started to check out my computer, I told him about the crash that was eventually fixed, checked console logs and found a ton of crashes in my system, ran a diagnostics, screen was indeed bad as well as my thunderbolt port was broken too, this, coupled with the fact my computer creaked and the logic board made a hissing noise, he didn't even want to try to fix it, they said they want to replace my entire machine, the manager went and brought me a brand new computer, this also had an LG screen, and showed signs of IR. I told him about it, he undid the swap, gave me my computer back until a BTO order directly from the factory mare with a Samsung screen arrived in store, so there is also a possibility ill be getting the early 2013 edition to replace my 6 month old 2012. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM THEM!
7 PowerPC's: 5 iPods
Macdude2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Infinite Jest
macrumors regular

I need to come to your apple store. The guys in my area told me that having a slightly darker, yellow corner and strip running along the edge of one side of my iPad's screen was "within spec". I'm glad your months of headache have come to a satisfactory resolution.
Infinite Jest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:47 PM   #3
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I too experienced hell trying to get a perfect screen iPad 3. But retail swaps instead

I wonder if iPad 4 qc is as bad. If so, I'll be much less tempted to upgrade.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdude2010 View Post
Hello macrumors,
I was one of the launch day buyers of the 3rd generation iPad, since then, I've had to replace it many (12-13) times, I've had ones crashing left and right, hardware glitches, dead pixels, hair under the screen, as well as one where parts of the backlight bar had died. I took the one that I had thought had the least problems, then, I was at my apple store on Friday, and was talking to the manager that had helped me from march-may, he said bring it in and I'll see what I could do (I hadn't done a swap in 9 months) so, yesterday, I went back in (also needed to get my rMBP fixed too, which that had another story all together) and I showed it to the manager, he got on the phone with AppleCare and processed an exchange, a little while later, he came out of the back with a brand new iPad 4th gen, we did the swap and first one was fine, so I took it home, very happily! I wouldn't try to do this, I had A LOT of problems, so I would think I have a very unique case.

Now, about the MacBook, I had no appointment, but the same manager went and got his best genius, immidatly the genius started to check out my computer, I told him about the crash that was eventually fixed, checked console logs and found a ton of crashes in my system, ran a diagnostics, screen was indeed bad as well as my thunderbolt port was broken too, this, coupled with the fact my computer creaked and the logic board made a hissing noise, he didn't even want to try to fix it, they said they want to replace my entire machine, the manager went and brought me a brand new computer, this also had an LG screen, and showed signs of IR. I told him about it, he undid the swap, gave me my computer back until a BTO order directly from the factory mare with a Samsung screen arrived in store, so there is also a possibility ill be getting the early 2013 edition to replace my 6 month old 2012. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM THEM!
I'm glad for you, really... But gosh my rMBP is driving me nuts... Got it fixed for dead pixels 1 month ago. They changed the screen, but i'm still having the same issue. My unibody is bent, the computer won't close properly. Probably one of my worst Apple buy ever.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
throAU
macrumors 68030

Maybe you guys in the US get shipped the seconds or something, at work here (australia) we have a fleet of over 150 iphones, probably 15 ipads and 5 ipad minis, and I'm yet to see a defective product out of the box.

not saying it can't happen, but for people to need to do multiple returns on a single item... something wrong...
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:40 PM   #6
tonyy
macrumors 6502

12 iPads with issues. Wtf.

I've never ever seen anyone find issues in every ipad 12 times in a row. Either you have bad luck with Apple or umm...
tonyy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyy View Post
12 iPads with issues. Wtf.

I've never ever seen anyone find issues in every ipad 12 times in a row. Either you have bad luck with Apple or umm...
ya, i was just as surprised, my iPad 4 is fine though, so i'm happy!
Macdude2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:47 AM   #8
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

This both makes me want and not want to take my ipad 3 in for the damage the Smart Cover caused to the aluminum.
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorntoy View Post
This both makes me want and not want to take my ipad 3 in for the damage the Smart Cover caused to the aluminum.
As I had said before, I think my case is really unique, mostly because I had so many problems, I think they will give you another 3rd gen
Macdude2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:00 AM   #10
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
I wonder if iPad 4 qc is as bad. If so, I'll be much less tempted to upgrade.
I went through 3 that had uneven tints at a level that I thought was unacceptable. 4th replacement is great though.

Last edited by syd430; Feb 19, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:32 AM   #11
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
I went through 3 that had uneven tints at a level that I thought was unacceptable. 4th replacement is great though.
Same story here with yellow tints. It took 4 tries, but my iPad 4 is perfect and customer service was excellent. They replaced 3 iPads with no questions asked.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:55 AM   #12
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
ya, i was just as surprised, my iPad 4 is fine though, so i'm happy!
That statement was not meant to support your OCD and need to return 12 times.

Its just IMPOSSIBLE that 12 random units were defective. You all must be complaining about some things that in normal operation have no effect on usage. Otherwise, everyone would be returning them

I get that there have been some issues, but you getting 12 of them. The problem is not the device.
ZipZap is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
RenoG
macrumors 6502a

12!! thats crazy. Good thing we have actual apple stores, could you imagine if you had to ship these off somewhere and deal with customer support only over the phone. I'm sure the rate of exhange would be much much less.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
he came out of the back with a brand new iPad 4th gen
That is good customer service, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if it's standard procedure. After. all, Apple makes money on people running around buying Lightning accessories, so if the price for a 3rd gen and 4th gen are more or less the same for them anyways, it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
That statement was not meant to support your OCD and need to return 12 times.

Its just IMPOSSIBLE that 12 random units were defective.
Not necessarily. Law of large numbers; while the chances of it happening is slim, it will still occur.
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:31 PM   #15
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
...Not necessarily. Law of large numbers; while the chances of it happening is slim, it will still occur.
Not to mention, a production flaw will happen to a particular batch, not just one, and if that batch was delivered to a store, then many of the iPads from that store will be flawed.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #16
RJCP
macrumors 6502

Buying Apple products as of lately seems to be a complete gamble. Their QC is uneven and some situations and just ridiculous.

My first ipad 3 had 4 or 5 dead pixels, really bad light leaking and impurities under the screen. Replaced one day after buying. The next one had 1 dead pixel, nick in the enclosure and impurities under the screen, but I kept it so I could get it exchanged later. The 4 launched a few days later and I read here that some apple stores were giving a 1 month window for costumes who got an ipad 3 within that month to replace them free of charge with the new one. I went to the reseller where I got it, he called Apple and I got a 4 as well. No problems whatsoever. Perfect screen and no nicks on the aluminium.

This is why, to an extent, I think there is benefit in getting a refurbished product: it's cheaper and it goes through extensive testing and very likely more effective than the QC at the Chinese factories.
RJCP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad