Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
To make them the same price you could either upgrade to 3.4 i7 or get the Fusion Drive. Anyways the i5 is 3.2 GHz on the iMac where the i7 on the rMBP is 2.4 GHz, and there's barely a speed difference between i5 and i7s (there's one extra thing you can do to an i7, its either hyper threading or overclocking or something of the nature, I'm nor 100% sure right now) so still I'm pretty sure the i5 in the $1999 iMac is more powerful in the i7 in the rMBP.

That being said, if I were to get the iMac, I would get the i7 and a 1TB Fusion drive - if you're spendin $1999 you're already trying to get the top of the line, might as well throw those on for long term endurance and resale value.

Yeah you got a point I'm just confused on which I should get. How bad is the iMacs screen compared to the retina Mac?

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Yeah you got a point I'm just confused on which I should get. How bad is the iMacs screen compared to the retina Mac?

Its not bad at all, its actually great. If you're going with the retina because the iMacs screen is bad, then that's not a really valid point. The iMac screen is great! Especially with the new viewing angles and colour contrast and what not.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Its not bad at all, its actually great. If you're going with the retina because the iMacs screen is bad, then that's not a really valid point. The iMac screen is great! Especially with the new viewing angles and colour contrast and what not.

I've been hearing mixed reviews on which machine performs better. Since the macbook supports 3 external screens I mean just buy a monitor and you have an iMac. Then unplug it and take it where ever you want to so I don't know. I guess I would have to drive to an apple store to finalize my decision.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I've been hearing mixed reviews on which machine performs better. Since the macbook supports 3 external screens I mean just buy a monitor and you have an iMac. Then unplug it and take it where ever you want to so I don't know. I guess I would have to drive to an apple store to finalize my decision.

I suppose, but once you take the rMBP itself ($2200) and add three decent monitors, you're probably going to end up reaching about $3200. But if you could find a good, cheap monitor and pair it with the rMBP I think that would be the ultimate combination.

Man, Sony has a "PS3" 3D 1080p LED display, and it was on sale for $99 on Black Friday and Boxing Day. It has dual HDMI inputs, which would be perfect for this machine. If only I was able to get one....they sold out way too fast. :(

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I suppose, but once you take the rMBP itself ($2200) and add three decent monitors, you're probably going to end up reaching about $3200. But if you could find a good, cheap monitor and pair it with the rMBP I think that would be the ultimate combination.

Man, Sony has a "PS3" 3D 1080p LED display, and it was on sale for $99 on Black Friday and Boxing Day. It has dual HDMI inputs, which would be perfect for this machine. If only I was able to get one....they sold out way too fast. :(

Well like I said before this guy is selling me his sealed retina mac 2.6 i7 with 16gb ram for 2K. I don't want 3 monitors lol for 100 I can find a used cinema display. I just want the fastest machine since this is the first time I ever spend more than 1k on a Mac lol. I bought a 4S then traded for an iPad then traded the iPad for a 06 Mac pro and sold it for 900. Then traded an iPhone 5 for a macbook air 2010 then added 100 and traded for 2012 model then sold it for 1000 11 inch. Which leads me to this haha the 4S and 5 combined costed me 400 lol and I ended up with 1900. $1500 profit :) gotta love craigslist.
The ps3 monitor is small lol I convinved my friend to buy it lol. Its OK 3D is good just hate it doesn't come with a small remote so u have to get up and switch inputs. On Craig around my area they're like 90 bucks

jcgr96

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
My experience

i have both of that computers, the base rMBP and the top iMac in retail stores. So from my experience, i got to say i love my retina, its light and somewhat portable, but mainly fast. But i think nothing is more pleasurable than using an iMAC at home, and at the long, you can upgrade it, while in the rMBP you can´t.
My recommendation is that you go for the iMAC and keep that laptop with you, you still have enough horsepower in that computer and a powerful iMAc at home to mach. good luck with your decission!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.