Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I would be ok with this myself as I am diligent with data use, but my son's 4s went haywire and used 5gb in one month, even with WIFI always on and connected. I would be in the poorhouse after one month!

You wouldn't be in the poorhouse because you prepay. They don't send you a bill after the fact. If your son's phone went haywire and his account had $15 on it, then you'd only be out the $15.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
You wouldn't be in the poorhouse because you prepay. They don't send you a bill after the fact. If your son's phone went haywire and his account had $15 on it, then you'd only be out the $15.

True, but I tend to prepay (recharge) more than I need to not forget. I imagine it would have consumed the whole year's charge!

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Thanks bohhot16!

I was looking at ST but AirVoice even works better for me. I've pushed most of my communication to email and text. If anybody needs to talk to me for more than 5 minutes, I know is a circular conversation and I lose interest.

People on a budget - Here's the way!

What? You never talk more than 5 minutes? I'm sure you know your usage but normal business calls last longer than 5 minutes.. That's not even including talking to someone you're in a relationship with.

Sorry babe! It's been 5 minutes. Our conversation is circular now. Gotta go. Lol

Whatever... I just couldn't help but laugh at the fact that you probably spent more than 5 minutes reading a rumor forum but limit your human contact to 5 minutes of circular talk. Thanks for the smile. :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I can't see an employed person using such little minutes. It could work for students though. I dont know of any jobs that communicate through only text and emails.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the smile. :)

Am blessed to have one of those jobs where all business calls are made in the office. Once am out of the office, it's my own time. I know in this date and age most people are "married" to our jobs, but am just blessed, what can I tell ya. Glad I was able provide some entertainment here though. :)

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Am blessed to have one of those jobs where all business calls are made in the office. Once am out of the office, it's my own time. I know in this date and age most people are "married" to our jobs, but am just blessed, what can I tell ya. Glad I was able provide some entertainment here though. :)

Are you being paid hourly?

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
And that has to do with what exactly?

Being that once out of the office, it is his own time. If he is paid by the hour, I can see why. But for salaried folks, work tends to not end once you go home for many high tech companies in the US

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Being that once out of the office, it is his own time. If he is paid by the hour, I can see why. But for salaried folks, work tends to not end once you go home for many high tech companies in the US

Well it depends on the job. If this plan had free night's then I could use it. I do a lot of talking on the weekend with family and friends. I could talk to my brother for 2 hours at night, thats 120 min of $4.80 on this plan. Not feesible for me.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

My "job" is a little different than most. I'm on call at all times. Comes with being a pastor. But my contact with people is definitely not circular after 5 minutes. ;)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
My "job" is a little different than most. I'm on call at all times. Comes with being a pastor. But my contact with people is definitely not circular after 5 minutes. ;)

What does it take so long? God good, Devil bad. Done. :D

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I have been looking for something for my Mom to use with my old iPhone 4. She felt the StraightTalk $45 plan was too much. She uses a cell phone very little for VOICE and has been using a Tracfone for years, paying about $100 for the year. So the AirVoice plans intrigue me.

I was able to activate a $10 plan on AirVoice without having to call.

1. Ordered a pre-cut nano SIM card for iPhone from Amazon for $4.99 (probably cheaper on eBay but the risk wasn't work saving a few bucks).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1IK6P0

2. Registered for new activation (Selected the $10 plan also know as 250 TALK or 500 TEXT 30 DAYS)
http://www.airvoicewireless.com/new-activation-2/customers/

3. Purchased $10 PIN from Calling Mart (got the PIN via email in minutes)
http://www.callingmart.com/products...-Plan?rf=dc71eb4f-1308-4cf6-bff2-dc8e065200a9

4. Waited about 10 minutes for the phone to register AIRVOICE WIRELESS instead of No Service and then added PIN through iPhone by calling 611 and following the voice prompts.

5. Used http://www.unlockit.co.nz from the iPhone (through WiFi) and selected "Create APN" and selected AirVoice profile for the Carrier in order to use data.

Worked like a charm!

I haven't decide for her if the $10 plan is best since she would have to add $10 a month every month, or getting the Pay-As-You-Go plan and put $100 on it and it be good for a year, as long as there is a balance on it to cover the $1 month fee. The $10 plan you get cheaper per minute/text rates, but it is convienent not to have to add something every month. I don't think she will be using much DATA, which is good because at $0.33 a MB you can go through your balance pretty quick.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Worked like a charm!

I haven't decide for her if the $10 plan is best since she would have to add $10 a month every month, or getting the Pay-As-You-Go plan and put $100 on it and it be good for a year, as long as there is a balance on it to cover the $1 month fee. The $10 plan you get cheaper per minute/text rates, but it is convienent not to have to add something every month. I don't think she will be using much DATA, which is good because at $0.33 a MB you can go through your balance pretty quick.

I recommend showing her how to turn cellular data on and off in settings so she'll have data access if she really needs to use it, but would normally leave it off to avoid extra charges.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I recommend showing her how to turn cellular data on and off in settings so she'll have data access if she really needs to use it, but would normally leave it off to avoid extra charges.

Thanks. Yeah that is what I'm thinking. The only issue I've found is when you are not on WiFi and you have cellular data off and someone texts you and it thinks it can use iMessage it takes a long time to go through (~5 minutes to figure out iMessage fails and to resend as TXT). If they are sending from an iPad it won't go through until they are on WiFi.

So to get around that you have to either not set it up to iMessage at all (which then means every text is a charge instead of being about to iMessage for free on WiFi) and people can't text you from an iPad, or leave the cellular on, or just live with that first message delay and it delaying if someone texts you from an iPad and you are not WiFi.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If u have to tell some one, "remember to turn off cellular data!" then I recommend NOT pre- paying for the whole year, coz messing up can be costly, vs month-to-month wont be so bad.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Finally signed up, ATT-free!

Curiously when I do speedtest.net, it automatically picks up a server in Cocoa, FL, is that where the AirVoice APN is?

Can someone give me a quick explanation of APN, and is all my data comm going to go through this hub? I am on the West Coast. Will it matter for performance-wise if the APN was physically located closer to me?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Finally signed up, ATT-free!

Curiously when I do speedtest.net, it automatically picks up a server in Cocoa, FL, is that where the AirVoice APN is?

Can someone give me a quick explanation of APN, and is all my data comm going to go through this hub? I am on the West Coast. Will it matter for performance-wise if the APN was physically located closer to me?

The fastest APN you can use is att.mvno. You can install it by going to http://unlockit.co.nz and selecting Create APN -> AT&T MVNO.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
AV update: They have an annoying balance notification AFTER EVERY CALL that can't be turned off. Sometimes, they even notify you if whatever transaction it went cost you $0! :eek: Major annoyance.

MACchica

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
AirVoice Wireless

AirVoice Wireless totally rocks! I discovered them years ago, after being fed up with the endless BS of every other major carrier. I get a live person, & any issue is dealt with immediately by that same person (vs being passed along endlessly and on the phone for hours). They're the best! :)

MACchica

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
I don't have that problem with AV

AV update: They have an annoying balance notification AFTER EVERY CALL that can't be turned off. Sometimes, they even notify you if whatever transaction it went cost you $0! :eek: Major annoyance.

I have Airvoice's unlimited plan for $30...only get a notification the last couple days before it expires...which I appreciate very much.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.