Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:30 PM   #26
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
Soon enough,India will come charging up the charts-thanks to 1.2 billion of us and growing
I'm in the U.S., but was just going to say this. Emerging markets are where the growth is now. I think this is why you saw Blackberry launch in UAE and UK first, even though they are offering the excuse of carrier testing requirements in the US as the reason. The US is saturated with competition but it really is fair game across the world to Apple and the rest of the competition. I think the competition in the US will continue to drive technology improvements though which everyone will benefit from.
GuitarDTO is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:36 PM   #27
leon44
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
It seems a lot of Europeans are still satisfied with their Nokia dumb phones or can't afford smartphones (over 50, immigrants, etc.). Here in the US, a lot of people have upgraded to a smartphone, including many over the age of 50.

Edit: Forgot, this applies to iOS.
Well you say that but 43m in the UK is actually one for about 72% of people, 220m in the USA is 1 for just 70% of people

Last edited by leon44; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
leon44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:39 PM   #28
cosmichobo
macrumors 6502

Not that it matters, as Australia is a third-world-Apple country, barely allowed to even continue to buy Apple products for daring to question Apple over their prices... But Australia has 14-19% more smart phones per capita than the US, and at least 23% p/c more than China.

Of course, that's only around 4 - 5 million iPhones...

Last edited by cosmichobo; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
cosmichobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:49 PM   #29
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devianter View Post
not true.
what is not true?
AmpSkillz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:00 PM   #30
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
I'm in the U.S., but was just going to say this. Emerging markets are where the growth is now. I think this is why you saw Blackberry launch in UAE and UK first, even though they are offering the excuse of carrier testing requirements in the US as the reason. The US is saturated with competition but it really is fair game across the world to Apple and the rest of the competition. I think the competition in the US will continue to drive technology improvements though which everyone will benefit from.
The main thing is population in emerging markets is huge,India itself has 4 times as many people as US,so even if 25% people own smartphones,it will be more than US population,vast markets !

And US itself is an exception when it comes to population in developed world,other countries don't even come fractionally close (not that am proud of our population back home ).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:27 PM   #31
b0fh
macrumors member

Not true?

Quote:
not true.
And you base your claim on...?
b0fh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:32 PM   #32
dpinchot
macrumors newbie

Really?

Another suspect posting from Flurry that is getting mass posted around the world. Take a close look at the data. Does it make any sense? How could iOS and Android loss users for three months in 2011 and remain flat for three quarters in 2012? Flurry has a long history of questionable data, but the tech blogs seem hell bent in reposting without fact checking.
dpinchot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:45 PM   #33
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
not true.
Nope, you're wrong.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:55 PM   #34
dpinchot
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
do you see temporary dips or temporary peaks?
If it's peaks, it can possibly be the iphone 5 in late 2012, the middle peak can possibly be the release of 4S & holiday season -- the following mini hump, around march 2012 is probably iPad 3 US release.
The first one is a slower ramp up, can possibly be the ipad 2 (or maybe combined with the Galaxy S2).

But, if this is a graph of active users, how could they go down, even after a major release? That would mean a massive amount of people just stop using their phones and tablets. Very unlikely. The data looks highly suspect to me. There is no way that 2011 and early 2012 were that flat.
dpinchot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:59 PM   #35
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
I think he was simply being sarcastic of how come the world's biggest country become the world's largest market cannot be more OBVIOUS
Yeah I know, haha.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:34 PM   #36
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
It's one of those statistics that catch people by surprise, like when you point out that more people in the World speak Chinese than English.
China was a major civilization if not world power for over 2000 years until the late 1700s; the country has only been in decline for ~300 years, with most of its major defeats in the mid-1800s; a short time in history.

It's not all that surprising China would ascend again; what comes around goes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
I think he was simply being sarcastic of how come the world's biggest country become the world's largest market cannot be more OBVIOUS
Not necessarily, look at India, it is poised to be larger than China, but several factors have been impeding its economy: casted based system, corruption, poor infrastructure, education, poverty, etc. China is by no means perfect, but at least it has its economic house and government policies somewhat in order.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
It seems a lot of Europeans are still satisfied with their Nokia dumb phones or can't afford smartphones (over 50, immigrants, etc.). Here in the US, a lot of people have upgraded to a smartphone, including many over the age of 50.
In Europe, there are restrictions on phone subsidizations... therefore it is cost prohibitive to buy a smartphone outright. In the US, everyone buys on credit - and in this case, a long term, locked in cell contract.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
I'm in the U.S., but was just going to say this. Emerging markets are where the growth is now. I think this is why you saw Blackberry launch in UAE and UK first
Tee hee hee, the UK is now an emerging market!

----------

Quote:
not true.
It's true - sorry to burst your bubble but in the grand scheme of things, there are actually quite few English speakers. They just happen to be clustered in some of the wealthiest nations and English is the de facto language of business (but that may change in the future... who knows):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ative_speakers

Take a look at Wikipedia, the numbers may shock you.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 PM   #37
dpinchot
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
China was a major civilization if not world power for over 2000 years until the late 1700s; the country has only been in decline for ~300 years, with most of its major defeats in the mid-1800s; a short time in history.

It's not all that surprising China would ascend again; what comes around goes around.

Not necessarily, look at India, it is poised to be larger than China, but several factors have been impeding its economy: casted based system, corruption, poor infrastructure, education, poverty, etc. China is by no means perfect, but at least it has its economic house and government policies somewhat in order.

----------

In Europe, there are restrictions on phone subsidizations... therefore it is cost prohibitive to buy a smartphone outright. In the US, everyone buys on credit - and in this case, a long term, locked in cell contract.

----------

----------

It's true - sorry to burst your bubble but in the grand scheme of things, there are actually quite few English speakers. They just happen to be clustered in some of the wealthiest nations and English is the de facto language of business (but that may change in the future... who knows):

I guess Europe knows what's best for their people, clamping down on those silly phone subsidies. I love to have my nanny tell me what to do.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 PM   #38
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinchot View Post
I guess Europe knows what's best for their people, clamping down on those silly phone subsidies. I love to have my nanny tell me what to do.
... Better than how it's now illegal to unlock a phone in the US, whereas in Canada (soon to be) and Europe there are provisions for unlocking?
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:53 AM   #39
92jlee
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
So much hate between Americans and Europeans. Don't you guys see that its the Chinese and Indians we should be concerned about? Look how many there are, they will take us over soon especially with the USA's debt to China. They own you and they are in the process of taking us over too.
But then again this is an apple forum so you people only care if apple gets money and market share.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:47 AM   #40
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92jlee View Post
So much hate between Americans and Europeans. Don't you guys see that its the Chinese and Indians we should be concerned about? Look how many there are, they will take us over soon especially with the USA's debt to China. They own you and they are in the process of taking us over too.
But then again this is an apple forum so you people only care if apple gets money and market share.
Actually, the robots will "win" in the end.

China still owns less sovereign US debt than Japan. And, more significantly, the largest owner of sovereign US debt are US citizens (by a very large margin).

India and China both have major issues to overcome. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Not sure where you are getting a sense of "hate" between the US and Europe.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:24 AM   #41
leon44
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinchot View Post
It's nice to have your government on your side actually, looking after you if you're sick, it's nice to be able to trust policemen and go to school without fear of being shot in the face
leon44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:20 AM   #42
dpinchot
macrumors newbie

Quote:
... Better than how it's now illegal to unlock a phone in the US, whereas in Canada (soon to be) and Europe there are provisions for unlocking?
I like the ability to make the decision myself to enter into a contract or not. My choice, not the governments. That's called freedom.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
It's nice to have your government on your side actually, looking after you if you're sick, it's nice to be able to trust policemen and go to school without fear of being shot in the face
We all want that. But I don't know what that has to do with ones ability to make a choice to enter into a contract with a carrier or not.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:37 AM   #43
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
i wonder how many of those 221 million are ios ...
~15%
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:17 AM   #44
devianter
macrumors member

Quote:

----------

----------

----------

We weren't talking about native speakers. We were talking about speakers in general. There are so MUCH MORE people who speak English.. You wouldn't believe if i told you.
devianter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:04 AM   #45
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
China still owns less sovereign US debt than Japan. And, more significantly, the largest owner of sovereign US debt are US citizens (by a very large margin).
Your facts are a bit sketchy. China and Japan both hold about 1 trillion in US debt, but it is acknowledged widely that China is the largest foreign holder of US debt.

Foreigners hold 47% of US debt while Americans hold 53%. Not such a wide margin - 6% in the grand scheme of things isn't much.

----------

Quote:
We weren't talking about native speakers. We were talking about speakers in general. There are so MUCH MORE people who speak English.. You wouldn't believe if i told you.

I'm still correct where I stand; it is estimated that there are only 500 - 600 million fluent English speakers. If you throw in anyone with a grasp of English, it is <1 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_population

There are over 1.2 billion Chinese in China that speak Mandarin... and a hundred or two more million around the world.

So by far, Chinese is still the most spoken language.

You only think that English is popular because it is the de facto language online, in business, and in the media, but in reality there are whole other worlds (Chinese, Spanish, French, etc.) out there.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:45 AM   #46
scottie2345
macrumors newbie

What i want you to do is look at a globe see how big the US is and then China, then go find the UK, yup its that tiny little island, I would not call us a developing nation :-) we are waiting for you boys to catch up

Scottie
scottie2345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:46 AM   #47
devianter
macrumors member

Quote:
Your facts are a bit sketchy. China and Japan both hold about 1 trillion in US debt, but it is acknowledged widely that China is the largest foreign holder of US debt.

Foreigners hold 47% of US debt while Americans hold 53%. Not such a wide margin - 6% in the grand scheme of things isn't much.

----------

I'm still correct where I stand; it is estimated that there are only 500 - 600 million fluent English speakers. If you throw in anyone with a grasp of English, it is <1 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_population

There are over 1.2 billion Chinese in China that speak Mandarin... and a hundred or two more million around the world.

So by far, Chinese is still the most spoken language.

You only think that English is popular because it is the de facto language online, in business, and in the media, but in reality there are whole other worlds (Chinese, Spanish, French, etc.) out there.
don't link me to wikipedia, naive guy. http://d.pr/i/KEyR get your facts straight. come back when it's 2050 and maybe i'll say "you're right". oh, and yes, business , INTERNET (HUGE) and media COUNT.

Last edited by devianter; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
devianter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:19 AM   #48
HarmoBoy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
not true.
It is true. Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world
HarmoBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:40 AM   #49
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
don't link me to wikipedia, naive guy. http://d.pr/i/KEyR get your facts straight. come back when it's 2050 and maybe i'll say "you're right". oh, and yes, business , INTERNET (HUGE) and media COUNT.
Your own link proves that I was correct... There are already more Chinese than English speakers in the world... And by 2050 there will be even more.

And that slide is a joke... 2011 - 1 billion broken english speakers. 2015 - 3 billion. Yes, in the span of 4 years 2 billion people will learn English - I think not.

Thank you???
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:48 AM   #50
faizanshakyboy
macrumors member

impressive stats
faizanshakyboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion