Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Man you've been unlucky. I can't believe how some seem to get faulty hardware over and over. Personally I have never received one single bad product from apple... Despite the fact I've bought a lot and I've been very aware of any defects.

I had never had so much bother before until now. This is my 6th Mac since Xmas. 4 Airs and 2 iMacs. My current iMac has dust under the screen which is distracting, the magic mouse is also distracting because the aluminium stucks out underneath, both the imac and keyboard came with scratches/marks an dents. Doesn't feel new.

I have tried over the last week to just ignore it but I'm just not enjoying using it at all. It's been such a hassle and it will be a further hassle taking it to the store. Either they won't do anything or they will give me a replacement which will, knowing my luck, have problems of it's own.

I really love Apple's products and it's the only reason I've stuck with them the last 2 months. I just want a product that has no issues and is a pleasure to use.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I had never had so much bother before until now. This is my 6th Mac since Xmas. 4 Airs and 2 iMacs. My current iMac has dust under the screen which is distracting, the magic mouse is also distracting because the aluminium stucks out underneath, both the imac and keyboard came with scratches/marks an dents. Doesn't feel new.

I have tried over the last week to just ignore it but I'm just not enjoying using it at all. It's been such a hassle and it will be a further hassle taking it to the store. Either they won't do anything or they will give me a replacement which will, knowing my luck, have problems of it's own.

I really love Apple's products and it's the only reason I've stuck with them the last 2 months. I just want a product that has no issues and is a pleasure to use.

I would send it back. Dust inside screen, yellow glare, retention or scratches, fan noise ... Whatever! Nothing of this is acceptable. It's just interesting to see one person getting so much faulty hardware while others, like myself, has never experienced any of this.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I would send it back. Dust inside screen, yellow glare, retention or scratches, fan noise ... Whatever! Nothing of this is acceptable. It's just interesting to see one person getting so much faulty hardware while others, like myself, has never experienced any of this.

I got it from the retail store so I need to ask a relative who owns a car to take me down. I'm not carrying it on and off trains/buses. Probably won't get it back until the weekend.

I'm sick of it right now. Looks like I'm just gonna go and get a refund for the iMac. AppleCare was bought off eBay for £67, gonna have to suck that up but at least it's not the £139 Apple wanted. Will buy a cheap Windows computer. I'm not gonna even bother with a replacement cause it'll just have another issue with it.

Thanks for your help.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I got it from the retail store so I need to ask a relative who owns a car to take me down. I'm not carrying it on and off trains/buses. Probably won't get it back until the weekend.

I'm sick of it right now. Looks like I'm just gonna go and get a refund for the iMac. AppleCare was bought off eBay for £67, gonna have to suck that up but at least it's not the £139 Apple wanted. Will buy a cheap Windows computer. I'm not gonna even bother with a replacement cause it'll just have another issue with it.

Thanks for your help.

always remember to do what steve would do, yell "this is ****!!!" until you get your way

alxhrs

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
Portland
But I guess I can reside in this thread as on the feb 7th I ordered a 27" iMac. It still saying processing everyday when I look at the apple store and how I cannot wait for the status to change.

I ordered the i7 upgrade, gtx680 upgrade and a 1tb fusion. Anyone else order on or around same date as me?

I ordered the same thing, same day. Says delivery by March 12, dang! Keep me posted if anything changes ;-)

lisa360

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
I ordered a 21.5 inch, 2.9 ghz, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive on February 8th. Just received a shipping confirmation! :) Can't wait!

NoLastCalls

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
I just ordered my first IMac today which is a 27". I am switching over from windows.
Hardware
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Magic Trackpad
It says I can pick it up on March 26th. I can't wait!

iMaxIt

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
1st things to do after unboxing my new iMac:
- Insert new RAM
- Install MacOS to external SSD drive (I dont need fusion drive)

It's running perfectly :) What an :apple: machine!

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Been using my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display for about 7 months now, I switched from Windows 7 after 2 years of using it. I got the hang of it after about 2 months (I wasn't spending much time on it, it was summer)
Windows just wasn't powerful enough for what I do on a computer, plus mac is so much nicer to look at. (I use Final Cut Pro X, Aperture, Logic Pro 9, Motion 5, plus a bunch of other Mac Apps) :)

jMunar

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Just placed the order for my new iMac yesterday, specs in my sig. After a long decision on which size to get I decided the 21.5" is a more practical size for me. I used to own an early 2011 MBP and after about a year of use I decided a desktop would be better for my use. Can't wait for my iMac to come in and I hope it ships early like I've been seeing for a few 21.5" iMac buyers.

ragz

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2006
just ordered the new 27inch iMac

After months of indecision I finally ordered the new 27inch iMac. This one:
iMac 27" quad-core i5 3.2GHz/8GB/3TB/GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB.

I currently use a mid 2007 iMac and i was hoping for a retina upgrade for the imac line. Apparently that is not going to happen in the next 12 months so i decided to just go for the current best. I may consider an SSD add on in a few months and move the os and apps to it, leaving the data files on the hdd.

Cheers
A

naz-dream-boys

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
After months of indecision I finally ordered the new 27inch iMac. This one:
iMac 27" quad-core i5 3.2GHz/8GB/3TB/GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB.

I currently use a mid 2007 iMac and i was hoping for a retina upgrade for the imac line. Apparently that is not going to happen in the next 12 months so i decided to just go for the current best. I may consider an SSD add on in a few months and move the os and apps to it, leaving the data files on the hdd.

Cheers
A

congratulations mate im sure you'll love it

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Retina is unlikely in the current generation iMac, maybe in a couple of years when the next design comes.

So got my 27" with the works, went for the 1Tb Fusion which I hope is not too out dated in 3-4 years. Also put in 32Gb of Crucial RAM, so no more upgrades for this one. Every thing is going fine (knock on wood).

sabester24

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Just sold my 13' macbook pro today and placed an order for a 21.5 iMac, 2.7GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive!

I'm excited but a little upset with the 2-3 week shipping time. Have people been getting the 21.5's sooner?

Also, I'm no expert, so can someone please explain if there is that much of a difference between the 2.7GHz i5 and say the 3.2 i7 processors? I'm not doing any heavy video editing or gaming, but I wanted something that would be solid for years to come. Any input would be appreciated because I can still cancel and upgrade...

Thanks

jMunar

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Just sold my 13' macbook pro today and placed an order for a 21.5 iMac, 2.7GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive!

I'm excited but a little upset with the 2-3 week shipping time. Have people been getting the 21.5's sooner?

Also, I'm no expert, so can someone please explain if there is that much of a difference between the 2.7GHz i5 and say the 3.2 i7 processors? I'm not doing any heavy video editing or gaming, but I wanted something that would be solid for years to come. Any input would be appreciated because I can still cancel and upgrade...

Thanks

I did the exact same thing you did. Sold my MBP and ordered a 21.5 iMac right after. Hoping mine ships next week.

As for the i5 v i7 is mainly Hyper-threading allowing the i7 to act as 8 cores vs the 4 in the i5. You won't gain any improvements in gaming but if you do heavy video editing/photoshop/video encoding etc... you'll benefit from the i7. As far as the i5 it's still a great chip but if you have the money, and want to future proof for years to come. Why not go for the i7? For me I chose the i5 because of my budget and practical use. I'm mainly using my iMac for browsing, movies, papers, light editing and some gaming if any.

Other than that good luck with your purchase and yes I've been following the 21.5 delivery times thread and it looks like everyone is getting theirs shipped in 9-11 days from order date and receiving them shortly after.

sabester24

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I did the exact same thing you did. Sold my MBP and ordered a 21.5 iMac right after. Hoping mine ships next week.

As for the i5 v i7 is mainly Hyper-threading allowing the i7 to act as 8 cores vs the 4 in the i5. You won't gain any improvements in gaming but if you do heavy video editing/photoshop/video encoding etc... you'll benefit from the i7. As far as the i5 it's still a great chip but if you have the money, and want to future proof for years to come. Why not go for the i7? For me I chose the i5 because of my budget and practical use. I'm mainly using my iMac for browsing, movies, papers, light editing and some gaming if any.

Other than that good luck with your purchase and yes I've been following the 21.5 delivery times thread and it looks like everyone is getting theirs shipped in 9-11 days from order date and receiving them shortly after.

Yea I really don't do any video encoding or photoshop at all. My computer usage is similar to yours. The only photo editing I do is within iPhoto, and its mainly just photo management. Compared to the core 2 duo that my MBP had, I'm sure the i5 will seem blazing fast. I often do have multiple programs open at once, so I'm mostly excited about the 16 gb ram and fusion drive. I could have bit the bullet and got the i7 but that would have probably been overkill for my needs.

Thanks for the update on the shipping.

Spimunk

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Hi all, just taken my first dip into the world of mac after having iPad and iPhone and bought a 27in iMac 3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX model.

I am being good and not opening it until I move house in 6 weeks and then breaking it open. Looking forward to making the move from Windows to mac!

DriveByPoster

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
I just ordered the refurb 2011 27" iMac yesterday and I am pretty excited, because even though I have had a white MacBook for years now, I have always wanted an iMac but had been unable to do so.

I am having it sent to a local Apple store for pick up, because I wasn't too keen on having UPS leaving it on my doorstep. My fiancé is going to pick it up, and I'm hoping she can sweet talk the Apple people to exchange the mouse for a track pad. This is her first Mac, and I have a strong feeling she will hate the Magic Mouse. So I would rather get a mouse that's comfortable, since we will be using it for our home business that we are starting and she will be on the iMac quite a bit.

I was looking at RAM online, and I don't see the deals that I've seen others post about. It looks like it will cost $200 to upgrade it to 32gb. Does that sound about right?

I'm pretty excited to finally get my iMac, and it needs to hurry and get here!!!

itsMacTonight

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2013
Oregon-Go Ducks!
I was looking at RAM online, and I don't see the deals that I've seen others post about. It looks like it will cost $200 to upgrade it to 32gb. Does that sound about right?

I'm pretty excited to finally get my iMac, and it needs to hurry and get here!!!

I paid $90 for 16gb of Crucial 1600mhz RAM. That was a little more than other people had paid a few weeks earlier and I used a 5% off coupon. Now I look, a few weeks after I bought, and again the price on Crucial.com and for the same RAM on Amazon has again increased by another $5 for each pair of 8gb. Supply and demand or just plain gouging when you can get away with it? Has the cost of manufacturing really increase 10-15% in 8 weeks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.