Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I love it! :)
It replaced my iPad 2.
It's fast in all the things I do with it. The formfactor, weight, battery life, design and responsiveness are amazing. To me it's the perfect all in one package of my tablet needs. ;)

It teams up with my 15" retina MBP, to me, together they're my ideal computing gear EVER. (By the way, I use :apple: for around 11 years now)

I work with both a lot on a daily base, with pleasure.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
It replaced my iPad 2.
It's fast in all the things I do with it. The formfactor, weight, battery life, design and responsiveness are amazing. To me it's the perfect all in one package of my tablet needs. ;)

It teams up with my 15" retina MBP, to me, together they're my ideal computing gear EVER. (By the way, I use :apple: for around 11 years now)

I purchased mine almost 3 months ago and presently it's being sold on eBay.
Besides the screen being 2nd rate the wifi is amazingly weak.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
No the wifi is perfectly fine,maybe yours was a bad piece.Don't just generalise.

I owned 2 of them. Both of them had piss poor wifi.
Both of them are gone so somebody else can enjoy mediocrity at its finest.

----------

We have an ipad 4 in the house. Still mostly use the Mini. It's a solid device.
And I had 4 iPads in the house, 2 retinas and 2 minis. Guess which ones are gone? I'll give you a hint, the ones with weak wifi's and fuzzy screens.

rrjr80

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I was originally an iPad mini doubter. I've since sold my iPad 3 and my iPad mini gets used a ton more that the full sized iPad did. I'll never go back.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

----------

And I had 4 iPads in the house, 2 retinas and 2 minis. Guess which ones are gone? I'll give you a hint, the ones with weak wifi's and fuzzy screens.

Wifi has been fantastic on mine, maybe you had a dud?

Anyway, iPad Mini completely replaced my full size Retina iPad.

For me, the form factor more than makes up for the lower screen resolution.

When the iPad Mini with retina comes out I'll be first in line, but till then i'm loving the mini regardless.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

----------

Why buy them in the first place if you know the screen is not retina....ever heard of doing some research? FYI, the Mini wifi is much better than iPad 1,2 or 3. My Mini works much better than the iPad 3 i had.....which, despite retina, was the worst iPad ever. The 4 is hardly much better. Sarcastic bitching makes you look very bitter and immature.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

----------

We have both a 3rd gen retina and a Mini in our house. They both work the same on Wifi. Maybe you should check your network.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If the screen is so important to some people why buy the mini only to return it or sell it and then tell everyone how crap you think the screen is? It's not like you didn't know the screen was non-retina. I never bought one because I knew the non-retina screen wouldn't satisfy me.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If the screen is so important to some people why buy the mini only to return it or sell it and then tell everyone how crap you think the screen is? It's not like you didn't know the screen was non-retina. I never bought one because I knew the non-retina screen wouldn't satisfy me.

There's one other thing they are all compelled to do, go on to MR and be the 2nd post (check all the threads - it's nearly universal in all those threads) after someone talks positively about the mini and decry it and imply or declare directly that anyone who likes or loves the device is an idiot and moron.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao

Thnx, I totally agree. It's so odd that people buy things on an impulse without doing research and set their priorities straight, and then start whining to people who dare to express how much they like it. :confused:
I've planned mine since launch day and went to the Apple Premium Reseller very often to hold it and play with it.

For my uses I really don't need a retina display, in my priority list weight, size, thus formfactor was nr. one priority. And if this display keeps it's small battery's usage time longer, I'd prefer that also.
Plus I think the display isn't that bad at all! :)
And I really want to repeat that my Mini's WiFi is great! Much better than the iPad 2 I had. I have good coverage in my entire house and garden now!

It's all about choice, U need retina? Go larger! ;)

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There's one other thing they are all compelled to do, go on to MR and be the 2nd post (check all the threads - it's nearly universal in all those threads) after someone talks positively about the mini and decry it and imply or declare directly that anyone who likes or loves the device is an idiot and moron.

How right you are! I checked too. Funny, I do wonder why people like that exist....just to try and put a downer on everyone else I guess!

Corax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Look, everyone is different, has other needs and priorities.
To me going larger and heavier would be a step back, to others a non-retina screen could be a step back.

In this thread I didn't ask others why they think it's crap, the intent was just to share my personal experience. :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why buy them in the first place if you know the screen is not retina....ever heard of doing some research?

Kdoug preobably listened to everyone on here who said that the screen is perfectly fine and they don't miss retina in the least. So he went out and tried it for himself and decided that it asn't and he did miss the superior screen.

There is nothing wrong with trying a device and returning it if you don't like it, in fact that's pretty much the go-to advice for anyone asking if they will like the Mini.

How right you are! I checked too. Funny, I do wonder why people like that exist....just to try and put a downer on everyone else I guess!

Weren't you the one who said the 4 would be a prehistoric in another thread?
Want me to link it for you?
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16868622/

I smell a troll.

Too funny.

Last edited:

Corax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Kdoug preobably listened to everyone on here who said that the screen is perfectly fine and they don't miss retina in the least. So he went out and tried it for himself and decided that it asn't and he did miss the superior screen.

There is nothing wrong with trying a device and returning it if you don't like it, in fact that's pretty much the go-to advice for anyone asking if they will like the Mini.

Too funny.
Read the posts right, those people don't complain in the first place about someone trying and returning, but that those "returners" feel compelled to respond in a very negative manner on a possitive thread.

For example, the first responder also mentioned in a general sence that WiFi was amazingly weak, like it's a fact that accounts for every Mini. That is simply untrue, many report a very good WiFi reception. Offcourse I've seen the threads with issues in the matter, but it does not account for every Mini.
Anyway, mine is much better than my iPad 2 was. Also reception is almost as good as my retina MBP. :)

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
All I can say is thank the Gods I never bought an iPad 3. If I had, I would have been farting my way around internet forums by now, complaining how the screen is ****. Since I didn't buy one, I get to be happy about how the iPad mini screen looks so much better than my old iPad 2.

Perspective, thou art a heartless bitch

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thnx, I totally agree. It's so odd that people buy things on an impulse without doing research and set their priorities straight, and then start whining to people who dare to express how much they like it. :confused:
Surely you see the irony in your statement considering the whining over someone expressing how he didn't like his.

...For example, the first responder also mentioned in a general sence that WiFi was amazingly weak, like it's a fact that accounts for every Mini. That is simply untrue, many report a very good WiFi reception. Offcourse I've seen the threads with issues in the matter, but it does not account for every Mini.

This is the perfect example of Mini owners being too sensitive over any criticism of their devices. He didn't mean every Mini, I mean, how could he since he hasn't tried a large enough sample size.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Surely you see the irony in your statement considering the whining over someone expressing how he didn't like his.

This is the perfect example of Mini owners being too sensitive over any criticism of their devices. He didn't mean every Mini, I mean, how could he since he hasn't tried a large enough sample size.
Please show the sensitivity in the quote of mine. ;)
There is no irony. I surely don't mind if someone starts his/her own thread about their problems with the mini. Don't you see the difference? ;)
I'm really not sensitive about the content of the reactions, it litterally doesn't concern me, because the device is perfect for me. :)

I'm not responding to the criticism, but because of the behaviour.
If I wanted a razorsharp image and the fastest I could have bought the iPad 4, but those things aren't important to me, weight and size is.
Because I'm a speaker at conferences, and like to hold it in my hand and walk around. So I carry it with me everywhere I go. Also I use the GPS a lot. I don't have an iPhone, so this device to ME is perfect! :D

Last edited:

Corax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao

Well at least I only tried to keep my thread about why I think it's perfect for me, I said nothing about the screen in my thread starter:

It replaced my iPad 2.

rrjr80

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

----------

You seem like a pretty cheery person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.