Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:35 AM   #51
HeadForTheHills
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edinburgh
I want a SMALLER iphone

That can tether to a WiFi ipad - when a larger screen is needed.
HeadForTheHills is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:36 AM   #52
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
In a world where manufacturers are coming out with 468ppi devices, a regression from retina displays would be incredibly stupid.
That's a bragging-rights-only spec. Not real world different from something with 300+.

Also, don't believe this rumor. They won't lower the pixel density that far.
QCassidy352 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:37 AM   #53
iisdan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
haha

Finally a cool interesting story on here!
iisdan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:38 AM   #54
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
The proportions are all off. It is a fugly mess.

The top and bottom bezels are WAY too big, throwing off the entire balance and composition.

Fail.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:39 AM   #55
TheIguana
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Ugh!
TheIguana is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:39 AM   #56
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
That's a bragging-rights-only spec. Not real world different from something with 300+.

Also, don't believe this rumor. They won't lower the pixel density that far.
I agree completely.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 AM   #57
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
At this point, the size is only half the equation. iOS is getting more and more dated by the day.

Without a major iOS overhaul, I don't think they are going to capture any new marketshare.
You might be surprised. Sure the geeks hate that iOS is the same but those are the same folks that were jailbreaking on day one.

The vast majority aren't geeks and likely love that iOS stays familiar because they don't want to learn a new system

Not to mention that Apple doesn't design for marketshare chasing. If they did the iPhone would be in about 50 different forms and$200 off contract tops.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:46 AM   #58
Akarin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nyon, Switzerland
I thought that one strength of the iPhone was to have only one screen size to develop for? And then only two screen sizes. What's next? As many sizes as there are android devices?
__________________
Teach yourself how to code with Swift: Code with Brick
Akarin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:48 AM   #59
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
OK, I downloaded and made one but I can't get it to turn off. WTF?
Genius Bar
charlituna is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:48 AM   #60
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma*Police View Post
We conducted similar usability tests a couple of years ago and found that usability suffered dramatically for most users and the majority said they preferred a smaller screen. However, these users were asked to operate the phone with one hand so they became aware of the benefits and liabilities of a larger display.

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that the average consumer would be wowed by the larger screen, cos it does look impressive in a lineup and consumers rarely take one handed operation into consideration at the point of sale. It's only when they need to operate it with a cup of coffee in one hand that they realize that the larger screen can actually be a major liability.


I operate my Galaxy S3 without problems, let alone "major liabilities".

Then again, I am forced to wear clown pants so that the ginormous thing will fit in my pocket, my hands are the size of dinner plates, and when I hold it up to my head to talk on it, it looks ridiculous.

But we guys who "just hate Apple" will put up with anything to avoid their otherwise magical gadgets.


/s
iGrip is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:50 AM   #61
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
That's a bragging-rights-only spec. Not real world different from something with 300+.

Also, don't believe this rumor. They won't lower the pixel density that far.
Certainly 400+ is a waste for the vast majority.

And I agree, after the crap they got for the iPad mini not being retina no way would they revert an established item.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:50 AM   #62
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
OK, I downloaded and made one but I can't get it to turn off. WTF?
"You're folding it wrong"...
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #63
jkichline
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
You're all wrong

People that think Apple will make a bigger screen just to compete with Android don't understand Apple or marketing in general. First of all, that would be WAY to easy just to get a useless spec (as one commenter said, hold it closer to your face, duh). Also, it would be like admitting defeat or that you were wrong. Apple wouldn't do that even if it was wrong (I personally think they are very right when it comes to phone size and I find the iPhone 5 a bit hard to use).

What I think Apple will do is come out with a 1280x720 phone. Now you may say NO WAY FRAGMENTATION! But you don't understand this from a developer standpoint or from the standpoint that Apple will do something different. They WILL have the best screen and WILL NOT fragment. How is this possible?

Apple had patented a technology to white or black out parts of a screen using e-ink. Now imagine if the entire iPhone was screen. There are a number of issues of course like where do you put the home button, or what about the microphones and cameras, etc? Hmm... difficult technological issues but ones that Apple would be willing to solve to do it. So imagine this...

1) The home button is invisible. You just hold your thumb in the area and press. Apple's fingerprint and haptic patents cover that you pressed the home button and also add security too.
2) The camera can be set beneath the LED screen or just on the edge of it. Crazy tolerances will be needed but imagine if you could look right at the screen and make true eye contact in FaceTime.
3) Microphones could be moved towards the edge of the screen on in a very thin bezel.
4) The iPhone has a new mode called "Full Screen" that game developers or video players can utilize for true 720p HD gaming or movies.
5) Normal apps run in a letterbox and e-ink whites or blacks out the screen so that it looks and works like a normal iPhone at regular resolution allowing all other apps to run normally (unless they use full screen mode)

So there you have it folks. That's a definitely Apple-like thing to do. No one else has done it or will do it because they don't have the technology or will to make it happen. True edge-to-edge screen.
jkichline is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #64
Yvan256
macrumors 601
 
Yvan256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
And now for a social experiment

Print dozens of these, put something about as heavy as an iPhone 5 inside so that it feels solid and leave them in various places such as restaurants, etc.

Then just sit at another table and see how long it takes for people to either steal it or give it to management as a lost item. Also, keep count on the thieves vs honest people and report back to us with your findings. Average times, percentages, etc.
Yvan256 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:55 AM   #65
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a
 
TimTheEnchanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisdan View Post
Finally a cool interesting story on here!
In related news...
Paper and ink manufacturers' stock took a big jump on Wall Street this morning as nerds everywhere rush to printed out nonsensical iPhone mock-ups because they're never satisfied with the iPhones they have.
__________________
There are some who call me....Tim?
Steve Jobs 1955-2011 Rest My Friend
17" uMBP/iPod x3/iPhone5/iPad Air/Nikon D300–Sony NEX-7–NEX-3IR
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5
TimTheEnchanter is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:01 AM   #66
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a
 
phillipduran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa
Noooo. We cant go around looking like the Samsung Galaxy Note crowd.
__________________
That's "Geniuses," not Genii, genius.
To err, is PC.
phillipduran is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:01 AM   #67
Premium1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
People that think Apple will make a bigger screen just to compete with Android don't understand Apple or marketing in general. First of all, that would be WAY to easy just to get a useless spec (as one commenter said, hold it closer to your face, duh). Also, it would be like admitting defeat or that you were wrong. Apple wouldn't do that even if it was wrong (I personally think they are very right when it comes to phone size and I find the iPhone 5 a bit hard to use).

What I think Apple will do is come out with a 1280x720 phone. Now you may say NO WAY FRAGMENTATION! But you don't understand this from a developer standpoint or from the standpoint that Apple will do something different. They WILL have the best screen and WILL NOT fragment. How is this possible?

Apple had patented a technology to white or black out parts of a screen using e-ink. Now imagine if the entire iPhone was screen. There are a number of issues of course like where do you put the home button, or what about the microphones and cameras, etc? Hmm... difficult technological issues but ones that Apple would be willing to solve to do it. So imagine this...

1) The home button is invisible. You just hold your thumb in the area and press. Apple's fingerprint and haptic patents cover that you pressed the home button and also add security too.
2) The camera can be set beneath the LED screen or just on the edge of it. Crazy tolerances will be needed but imagine if you could look right at the screen and make true eye contact in FaceTime.
3) Microphones could be moved towards the edge of the screen on in a very thin bezel.
4) The iPhone has a new mode called "Full Screen" that game developers or video players can utilize for true 720p HD gaming or movies.
5) Normal apps run in a letterbox and e-ink whites or blacks out the screen so that it looks and works like a normal iPhone at regular resolution allowing all other apps to run normally (unless they use full screen mode)

So there you have it folks. That's a definitely Apple-like thing to do. No one else has done it or will do it because they don't have the technology or will to make it happen. True edge-to-edge screen.
Except your point fails to mention they already did this with the iPhone 5. You think they made it bigger because they felt it needed it? No it was because the competition was coming with larger devices and users wanted that with the iPhone. Stretched out or not they still made it bigger to compete against the larger offerings on the market.
Premium1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:02 AM   #68
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a
 
phillipduran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Print dozens of these, put something about as heavy as an iPhone 5 inside so that it feels solid and leave them in various places such as restaurants, etc.

Then just sit at another table and see how long it takes for people to either steal it or give it to management as a lost item. Also, keep count on the thieves vs honest people and report back to us with your findings. Average times, percentages, etc.
And post us up some Youtube videos please.
__________________
That's "Geniuses," not Genii, genius.
To err, is PC.
phillipduran is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:08 AM   #69
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a
 
Woodcrest64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
At this point, the size is only half the equation. iOS is getting more and more dated by the day.

Without a major iOS overhaul, I don't think they are going to capture any new marketshare.
It will be interesting to see what Jonny Ive's inspiration is for iOS. Hopefully that is seen in iOS 7
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina | iPad 1 | S2 Skyrocket | HTC One M7 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3Gs | iPhone 5 | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Nexus 7 32GB 2nd Gen
Woodcrest64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:10 AM   #70
greg78x
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Before:

"Retina! Retina! Retina! Your eyes can't even perceive the pixels at this density! Even higher pixel density than all the competitors! So amazing! Retina!"

After:

"You know guys, ppi isn't everything. There are so many factors to consider that make up the whole overall user experience. And even though our competitors might accuse our new phone of not meeting some arbitrary threshold that they want to call 'retina', we think that...."
You're confusing ppi with screen size maybe(?) I don't think Apple has ever retracted their ppi comments, though I believe they have about screen sizes.

I could be mistaken. Was the second part of your post an actual quote?

Last edited by greg78x; Feb 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
greg78x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:11 AM   #71
TyPod
macrumors 68000
 
TyPod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: And Yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Noooo. We cant go around looking like the Samsung Galaxy Note crowd.
exactly! That thing is absolutely massive!
TyPod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:13 AM   #72
Kwill
macrumors 68000
 
Kwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Too tall

If Apple is going to scale up something, let it be the 4s screen size.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Noooo. We cant go around looking like the Samsung Galaxy Note crowd.
I smell another Samsung commercial parody of Apple users standing in line with paper cutouts.
__________________
o ::::: • • ::::::::

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:13 AM   #73
drwam
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
That's not a great product

I am sorry, but a blow-up iPhone 5 will not sell well against Android Phones with full HD resolution. And, if they were going to do it, why would they wait until 2014? There is not a heck of a lot of engineering to be done for crying out loud.
I think the real key is with iOS. If Apple made an iPhone approximating 1080p resolution as a third resolution in the iOS universe, what would they do with the size? Would they just stick on extra rows of apps in the grid? Sounds very uninspiring. Frankly the app grid was a great design for a 480x320 phone but surely one can do better with an iPhone HD or even a present iPhone 5. It looks old and tired in the present day. Historically, Apple innovations are preceded by periods of apparent stagnation. In that context, perhaps there will be some new interface paradigms to come.
Also, I would never rule out a third iOS resolution (forgetting the stretch iPhone res in the iPhone 5) because it could be a useful stepping stone to other products, such as a larger screen iPad. Think Different.
drwam is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #74
Kwill
macrumors 68000
 
Kwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadForTheHills View Post
I want a SMALLER iphone

That can tether to a WiFi ipad - when a larger screen is needed.
MacRumors will keep an iWatch out for one.
__________________
o ::::: • • ::::::::

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #75
iPhD
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
<giggle>

"In our testing..." made me laugh out loud.

I pictured very serious fellows in lab coats in sealed clean rooms holding the oRigami phone and making pronouncements like "I'm bringing it to my ear now" and "Switching to left hand on my mark."
iPhD is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Printable 4.7-Inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Mockups Now Available from Free Plans MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 71 Sep 10, 2014 07:58 AM
Case for Larger 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Model Surfaces with Dimensions MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 123 Jun 1, 2014 11:33 PM
24-Inch 4K Display from Dell Priced at $1399, 28-Inch 4K Model Coming at Under $1000 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 200 Mar 6, 2014 08:58 PM
Gaming on the base model 15 inch or 13 inch maxxed Mansali MacBook Pro 3 Oct 25, 2013 03:22 PM
13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Said to Carry 'Unprecedented' Battery Design, Same Port Layout as 15-Inch Model MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 195 Oct 20, 2012 06:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC