Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lparpis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Hi, Im trying to figure out a way to create a "automation" or script that will perform certain actions when certain criterias are met.
The task i want it to perform is to fill some forms without me having to be there. It is about filling in forms for a first come first served basis apartment. These are only released maybe 1 a week so i cant stay and monitor it myself and as thousands of people are trying to get them the odds I'm first are slim.
The first action i need it to perform is to monitor and look for a symbol that appears next to these apartments in the list of apartments for rent. When this criteria is met i want it to click the link and fill in my name and social security number and accept all the terms and conditions. If possible i also want it to only do this to certain apartment names. ( correct area in the city) If it manages to find a apartment and book it i would also like it to send me a mail as i then only have a couple of hours to sign the contract.

Any ideas what kind of program i should use and any tips on how to do it? i have never programmed before so beginners instructions are preferred.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Any ideas what kind of program i should use and any tips on how to do it? i have never programmed before so beginners instructions are preferred.

Having never programmed before, this might be a bit tough. I don't think that Automator supports anything like this out of the box. Also, we don't know what kind of information you need to input for these forms. Are they all web forms with simple text boxes?

I would be very leery about setting up a script that is throwing out your Social Security Number. If it was me I would just go the old fashioned way of monitoring the page myself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.