Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Just an FYI to those that use this software. I've been having issues importing .mkv files into iVI Pro for a while. Basically, iVI will just hang while scanning the media. I emailed tech support and they pointed me to a new Beta version that is in the works to address this issue. I downloaded it and verified the problem is fixed at least for me. If you are having the same issues I would try the new Beta. An official update should be out soon.

Link to new Beta: http://spsdownload.com/iVI/bin/iVI03328.zip

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I've never used iFlicks but iVI works as advertised. I'd rather use something like this over handbrake any day. No sense in transcoding the video if its already h.264. Nice to have an all in one program.

I converted my 500gb mkv movie collection using iflicks

Each movie took 30 seconds muxing to iTunes compatible m4v with metadata added automatically

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I converted my 500gb mkv movie collection using iflicks

Each movie took 30 seconds muxing to iTunes compatible m4v with metadata added automatically

Do you use SSD, or are we talking small sized movies? On my HDD, the remuxing process is done at 25 MB/s, no matter which application I use.

Rebelarcader

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
How do you handle subtitles with iVI? I want to add hard subtitles for non English speaking parts like when they speak Russian in the Avengers near the beginning or Dothraki in Game of Thrones...

I am able to verify that the track for non English speaking parts existed by viewing the MKV's in VLC. When I add the MKV to iVI and navigate to the subtitles tab in the settings I only have the option to add the track as a soft subtitle.

I did successfully add the track using MKVExtract and creating my own SRT then adding that to iVI and it let me use it as a hard subtitle but the encode took over 7 hours.... Is there a better way to add it?

I've also tried the nightly build of Handbrake using the Detect Foreign Audio setting with 'Forced' and 'Burned In' checked, but it did not work.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
How do you handle subtitles with iVI? I want to add hard subtitles for non English speaking parts like when they speak Russian in the Avengers near the beginning or Dothraki in Game of Thrones...

I am able to verify that the track for non English speaking parts existed by viewing the MKV's in VLC. When I add the MKV to iVI and navigate to the subtitles tab in the settings I only have the option to add the track as a soft subtitle.

I did successfully add the track using MKVExtract and creating my own SRT then adding that to iVI and it let me use it as a hard subtitle but the encode took over 7 hours.... Is there a better way to add it?

I've also tried the nightly build of Handbrake using the Detect Foreign Audio setting with 'Forced' and 'Burned In' checked, but it did not work.

Click on the MKV you want to convert, go the subtitle tab and drop the SRT file. You can choose between having soft or hard subtitles.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
I've been using iVi Pro for years, and only in the last few days have I noticed it hangs with a constant spinning beach ball forever after it scans my video sources.

I like it more than iFlicks due to the fact it can monitor and process a source folder(s) - in other words, it can watch my downloads folder, then auto-import, tag, convert (if need be) and export to iTunes the downloaded movie/TV Show.

iFlicks and RoadMovie have nicer interfaces, but no batch/monitoring.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've had the same trouble with the trial version. I believe it's stalled retrieving the metadata, whereas Sublet doesn't have the same issue with the same file. Not a positive experience from a trial :(

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've been using iVi Pro for years, and only in the last few days have I noticed it hangs with a constant spinning beach ball forever after it scans my video sources.

I like it more than iFlicks due to the fact it can monitor and process a source folder(s) - in other words, it can watch my downloads folder, then auto-import, tag, convert (if need be) and export to iTunes the downloaded movie/TV Show.

iFlicks and RoadMovie have nicer interfaces, but no batch/monitoring.

Yes, iFlicks does. When you install iFlicks, it installs folder actions for this very purpose. Just set up your downloads folder to import new media files with iFlicks and it'll monitor the folder and convert/tag/export (and delete the original if you want it to) media files when available. Just read the support documents for more info.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Yes, iFlicks does. When you install iFlicks, it installs folder actions for this very purpose. Just set up your downloads folder to import new media files with iFlicks and it'll monitor the folder and convert/tag/export (and delete the original if you want it to) media files when available. Just read the support documents for more info.

Wow, thanks!

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
any good windows related converters besides HB. I do have it installed but it takes a while to convert, and with a lot of movies (mainly .avi, some mkv) I'm looking at alternatives. I have found some software, but don't know how well they convert... any thoughts/suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.