Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrestonWard

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
As I mentioned before, I was forced to restore phone for upgrade to 6.1.2. I restored from backup.

Evasi0n and software not there, and Evasi0n does NOT work for me. I went to the website to get the latest version too.
View attachment 398087

On a positive note, my Other space is now a little less than 1 GB instead of 3.5GB.

They will have to update it to work IF the holes arent patched. When 6.1.1 dropped they still needed to update it before it worked.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
To all the people asking if evasi0n still works: even if the jailbreak exploit is still present in 6.1.2, evasi0n won't work yet because the team has not updated the software to let 6.1.2 work. evasi0n checks the firmware before jailbreaking.

As I mentioned before, I was forced to restore phone for upgrade to 6.1.2. I restored from backup.

Evasi0n and software not there, and Evasi0n does NOT work for me. I went to the website to get the latest version too.
View attachment 398087

On a positive note, my Other space is now a little less than 1 GB instead of 3.5GB.

I guess you missed my post few posts above yours?

----------

What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.:confused:

Not all updates are necessary for everyone. I do not have any exchange issues/battery life issues with mine. I have no need to update.

Jailbreaking is not about telling everyone what I can do with my phone. It's about how I can use my phone. All the tweaks that I have installed increase the functionalities of my phone. I don't jailbreak my device just to theme it. Here's a quick example of Apple's stubbornness: Why the heck do they limit how many apps can fit inside a folder? Does it make sense to have multiple folders for, say, Games (like Games 1, Games 2, etc.)? Is it not better to have one folder called Games and have all your games inside that folder? It's thing like this that Apple forces upon us that makes us want to jailbreak.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Works great 6.1.2 on my iPhone 5 (NOT):

After updating and iTunes reporting that my iPhone is on 6.1.2 it (iTunes) tells me that a software update is available (6.1.2) and then updates to 6.1.2, already 3 times now.

The address of Apple: "1 Infinite Loop" gets a whole new dimension....

Please Mr Apple / Tim, can we go back to the situation of 2 years ago when all was working exactly as planned without "Microsoft-like" surprises....

That came up for me too I just clicked later and then when I checked in iTunes and settings it said it was up to date. Probably another glitch with iTunes.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I just wonder why we can't get these updates OTA cellular? Why only with a wifi? Or am I missing a setting somewhere. I've got unlimited LTE. 12MB update won't break me...

The network wouldn't allow that. Think of the amount of traffic, especially when a new version of iOS comes out, not just a bug fix like this.

MediaMind

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Apple store told me yesterday there is one solution: go back to any Apple store and get a new one.... (true!)

And what if same thing happens again in one, two months!?
By the way, my garanty period is over in January!

That is such a BIG BUG that APPLE just IGNORE, like they want from us to buy new iPhone 5 better then fixing problem with iPhone 4S!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The network wouldn't allow that. Think of the amount of traffic, especially when a new version of iOS comes out, not just a bug fix like this.

They should allow updates over cellular if they're small (under 50MB, just like apps)

Very few of us are obsessive and will hit update the INSTANT it comes out. The times I've forgotten to update my phone, I didn't see the "update available" notification for a day or so after it came out anyway.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007

View attachment 398087

Yes like with 6.1.1 they have to update Evasi0n to recognize the 6.1.2 IPSW if the jailbreak wasnt patched by apple

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
I very much doubt the jailbreak will have been removed so early. Evasi0n will just need updated for the new firmware.

In other news: next week sees the release of 6.1.3 :rolleyes:

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I used to update IOS straight away in the (mistaken) belief that newer = better.

Now I am wiser.

I wait.
... and wait.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
I guess it's not updating people who were on beta 1 of 6.1.1. Makes sense...

Yeah because this was suppose to be a unreleased version of iOS 6.1.1 before it went public. It's probably going to be renamed to iOS 6.1.3. So of course it's not going to have a update since technically it's ahead of iOS 6.1.2

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Bricked both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. Whenever I try to reconnect them to iTunes to restore or sync they both pop up an error -50. Backed up versions in my iTunes Library aren't being supported apparently by the onboard 6.1.2. update. Keeps saying "incompatible database query-"

Nice work, Apple. Totally rush an update and brick a thousand dollars worth of electronics equipment I rely on for my job.

applegigs

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Im running the iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 on my Iphone 4S. If i restore on itunes to iOS 6.1.2 do you think my iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 backup will work? i think so. Anyone think otherwise?

Just wondering

It should work just fine I was running iOS 5 from beta 1 to the last then my backup worked perfectly fine with the Golden release :rolleyes:

dibec

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2007
PDX
Bricked both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. Whenever I try to reconnect them to iTunes to restore or sync they both pop up an error -50. Backed up versions in my iTunes Library aren't being supported apparently by the onboard 6.1.2. update. Keeps saying "incompatible database query-"

Nice work, Apple. Totally rush an update and brick a thousand dollars worth of electronics equipment I rely on for my job.

I am sorry ... but this is a little absurd. Real pros wait. You do not take the chance of being down when you business is reliant on technology.

just say'in.

jthompson666

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
Yeah. It's supposed to not work. It makes you appreciate the exclusivity of having a successful update! :D

Just be thankful that your not one of the poor souls on Android who don't actually know what the word update means :rolleyes: I feel for them. I really do! :(

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I am sorry ... but this is a little absurd. Real pros wait. You do not take the chance of being down when you business is reliant on technology.

just say'in.

You're right. Absolutely right. Fortunately...I fixed it. If you keep the iOS device wired to the computer as you do a total reset (On the device) back to factory settings, iTunes just straight away senses it as a new device. It allowed me to setup at factory settings in 6.1.2 and THEN without asking me it began to restore from my original Backup. Weird, but it worked.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.:confused:
It's understandable, he probably needs his jailbreak for the multitasking. Oh, wait.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012

why are you against jailbreak? I missed your whole point in the above tirade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.