Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I posted a video on youtube of the interface of my iPod Classic and showed my serail number of my ipod, what could somebody do with the serail number that is bad for me?

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
they can know everything about you and your family..

inlcuding address , the size of your underwear ....

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
They can find out how much warranty is left on it I think. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
how do you do that?
Click here. Copy & paste serial into the field at the bottom left corner of the page. :)

Picture 7.png

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Relax, there isn't anything that can be done other than finding out the amount of warranty time remaining.

Wait, was it an 80 or 160 GB model?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Somebody mean could report it stolen, which could cause you trouble if you ever took it in for repair.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Cool, I'm going to go to the Apple store and go on a spending spree courtesy of OP! ;)

Seriously though, I don't think there's much to worry about. You can take the video down just to be safe. But no one's going to get any additional personal information from you about that.

People buy and sell iPods all the time on EBay. Everytime they do, they have the serial number of the previous owner (who probably registered the unit with Apple.)

Even if someone reported it stolen (unlikely since there's no benefit), you could easily show ID to prove you are the registered owner.

Just take down the Youtube video, and carry on as usual... :)

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
They can file an online repair order for the iPod through the serial number.. also order accessories and stuff like that needs to be repaired...
I say just take it down just to be safe

BigQid

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
Someone asked for it from me in an ipad sell. I'm not sure why they need it. Any suggestions.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Someone asked for it from me in an ipad sell. I'm not sure why they need it. Any suggestions.

Probably to verify your warranty and to check if what you're selling is what you're selling.

And I think you should have created a new thread… just saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.