Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Well, I love Dungeon keeper, still play it from GOG. I was very hopeful about Impire from Paradox. I bought it on my steam account and launched it on parallels to check it out.

What a buggy mess. I couldn't even complete the tutorial. The game is so close to being a polished release it's not funny.

I am posting this as a distress beacon warning anyone else that loves this Genre to stay away. Far away! Now, on to war for the overworld, coming soon, kickstarter funds pledged!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Well, I love Dungeon keeper, still play it from GOG. I was very hopeful about Impire from Paradox. I bought it on my steam account and launched it on parallels to check it out.

What a buggy mess. I couldn't even complete the tutorial. The game is so close to being a polished release it's not funny.

I am posting this as a distress beacon warning anyone else that loves this Genre to stay away. Far away! Now, on to war for the overworld, coming soon, kickstarter funds pledged!

Could you be more specific about exactly what went wrong?

Running a new title in a Parallels VM can potentially be a problem as well. Have you tried it with a Windows install via bootcamp to see if the same problems persist?

I'm not doubting you had issues but you don't say much about what they were.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Could you be more specific about exactly what went wrong?

Running a new title in a Parallels VM can potentially be a problem as well. Have you tried it with a Windows install via bootcamp to see if the same problems persist?

I'm not doubting you had issues but you don't say much about what they were.

The steam forums are all abuzz about crashing, stoppers, etc. What I found was it behaved the same from bootcamp and parallels. The stoppers were like being unable to complete the tutorial, and getting kicked out twice.

I'll try it again later to see if they are attentive to updates.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The steam forums are all abuzz about crashing, stoppers, etc. What I found was it behaved the same from bootcamp and parallels. The stoppers were like being unable to complete the tutorial, and getting kicked out twice.

I'll try it again later to see if they are attentive to updates.

Too bad. I saw a bit of a quoted review from Escapist that I think gave it a 5 out of 10. With so much good stuff to play, when something ships all screwed up, I just take it off my wishlist. If it comes up on sale sometime, I'll check the forums then and see if they ever got it straightened out.

It is amazing how the same mistakes in software development are made over and over and over. I include in this of course, the roles of marketing and management in pushing products out the door that are nowhere near ready for primetime.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Too bad. I saw a bit of a quoted review from Escapist that I think gave it a 5 out of 10. With so much good stuff to play, when something ships all screwed up, I just take it off my wishlist. If it comes up on sale sometime, I'll check the forums then and see if they ever got it straightened out.

It is amazing how the same mistakes in software development are made over and over and over. I include in this of course, the roles of marketing and management in pushing products out the door that are nowhere near ready for primetime.

Totally agree. I think Paradox did game of dwarves too, which greatly excited me - like a 3d dwarf fortress with management stuff. It was terrible, I just couldn't get over their art direction and how clunky it was!

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Simplify your life

With so much good stuff to play, when something ships all screwed up, I just take it off my wishlist. If it comes up on sale sometime, I'll check the forums then and see if they ever got it straightened out.

Leave it on your wishlist. Then if it comes up for sale, Steam will send you an email (and let you know the next time you log in). That way you don't need to pay attention to gaming news until it's time for you to make a buy/no buy decision.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
CT
i just rewatched the gameplay. Watching the imps floating in the cauldron for being reborn, the prisoner being tortured on the spinning wheel is hilarious. I hope they fix it up.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Totally agree. I think Paradox did game of dwarves too, which greatly excited me - like a 3d dwarf fortress with management stuff. It was terrible, I just couldn't get over their art direction and how clunky it was!

Paradox didn't make this, they just published it. Cyanide is the developer, and they also made game of thrones.

That said, Paradox has made some buggy messes in their lifetime. They are slowly learning, though.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Paradox didn't make this, they just published it. Cyanide is the developer, and they also made game of thrones.

That said, Paradox has made some buggy messes in their lifetime. They are slowly learning, though.

ahh - I will try again when they patch her up a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.