Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woozone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
I want my desktop computer to connect to the internet by ethernet in a room that doesn't have an ethernet jack. I am planning on buying an Airport Express 1st gen, and having it connect wireless in "client mode" to my Airport Extreme 2nd gen.
Will wireless "client mode" disable the ethernet port on the Express?

woozone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Follow up question:
Another option I'm considering is just buying a new Airport Extreme 5th gen and using that as my base station, and then use my old Airport Extreme 2nd gen in client mode.
1) Does the 2nd gen Extreme work in client mode (to access its usb port)?
2) Does client mode also shut off the gigabit ethernet ports of the 2nd gen Extreme as it does for the 1st gen Express?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Wait - First-gen AirPort Express that was 802.11n compatible (model MB321LL/A)? Then the ethernet port works in client mode.
First-gen AirPort Express as in the actual first one that came out with 802.11g (model M9470LL/A)? Then the Ethernet port will be disabled.

If you have the first-gen with 802.11n, then you could use this until the AirPort Extreme gets updated with 802.11ac.

woozone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
I'm assuming then that the Airport Extreme 2nd gen does not have a client mode function with working ethernet ports... Is that accurate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.