Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:40 AM   #1
will0407
macrumors 6502

How to share files between OS X 10.8 and VM 10.6 server?

I recently installed OS X server 10.6 as a virtual machine using parallels on my dad's new imac (running 10.8.2) as he needs to use appleworks within the VM.

At the moment, he's dragging files to a USB flash drive, then mounting it in the VM to transfer files across.

I've tried to set up a shared folder but can't work out how to do it. Can someone tell me how to do it to save him constantly mounting and un-mounting the flash drive?

I've tried google but can't find anything very clear.
will0407 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by will0407 View Post
I recently installed OS X server 10.6 as a virtual machine using parallels on my dad's new imac (running 10.8.2) as he needs to use appleworks within the VM.

At the moment, he's dragging files to a USB flash drive, then mounting it in the VM to transfer files across.

I've tried to set up a shared folder but can't work out how to do it. Can someone tell me how to do it to save him constantly mounting and un-mounting the flash drive?

I've tried google but can't find anything very clear.

Are you trying to set-up a file share on the server VM?

You can share folders in Parallels by selecting the Virtual Machine menu and then configure>options>sharing
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3
will0407
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss-G View Post
Are you trying to set-up a file share on the server VM?

You can share folders in Parallels by selecting the Virtual Machine menu and then configure>options>sharing
I've done the configure>options>sharing but then I can't find the folder ive selected to share within the VM? I created a folder on the desktop of imac, selected to share that in VM configuration, but then I don't know how to access that folder via the Virtual machine?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by will0407 View Post
I've done the configure>options>sharing but then I can't find the folder ive selected to share within the VM? I created a folder on the desktop of imac, selected to share that in VM configuration, but then I don't know how to access that folder via the Virtual machine?
Have you tried opening finder in the VM selecting GO and then Connect to Server

You should be able to browse available shares from there
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
will0407
macrumors 6502

Ill giv it a try

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help