Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Update time.....

Still not playing ball....graphics card in and more RAM (2.5GB) she will boot and "Bong" go to apple logo and then spinning wheel and the furthest it's got is a few seconds into the "Welcome" video then she locks up.....on other boots she just stays at the Apple logo and no further.....and on other boots just a black screen.....

I've reset PRAM and VRAM and reset button under the RAM bank.....I've pulled and changed the on board battery as well...

Any ideas fellas?....I'm waiting on more RAM and have swapped and reseated what I have in other configurations.....the OS is a clean install on a pre formatted and blank HDD....

Help as always is appreciated

Regards

N.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk snizzle

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Still no joy....no safe mode response and on single user this is all I get:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361296556.603163.jpg

But no command prompt to type and no power to keyboard and mouse

Regards

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
It didn't help.....it's like it has a mind of its own....it chooses to bong or not too bong....it chooses to display the Apple logo or not....this is starting to hack me off....

N.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Does power LED flash when it does not chime?
Try with only one pair of RAM sticks, if you already didn't.

What else you can try:
–*remove bottom CPU and run on only one, if it won't help, swap CPUs (ignore fans blast) and try again
– get a copy of ASD 2.5.8 and run all tests

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Does power LED flash when it does not chime?
Try with only one pair of RAM sticks, if you already didn't.

What else you can try:
–*remove bottom CPU and run on only one, if it won't help, swap CPUs (ignore fans blast) and try again
– get a copy of ASD 2.5.8 and run all tests

I have a constantly light LED clean no flashes or beeps....I've tried RAM swaps in different slots (always matched pairs) all 3GB and 1GB and 2GB pairs no change (I've some more RAM on the way in the next few days to eliminate fully any RAM issues.

I can try the CPU's next and let you know....wasn't it you that said I'd know if they were the wrong way round?... When I had them the other way around I got noting no power no fans nada....

Regards

N.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I can try the CPU's next and let you know....wasn't it you that said I'd know if they were the wrong way round?... When I had them the other way around I got noting no power no fans nada....

Yep. I meant that if you'll put them back in wrong order, fans will run like a jet engine. So you'd notice that ;) If they didn't, you may have nailed the source of your problems by the accident. Try one CPU at the time in upper slot. One that won't work is most likely a culprit.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Yep. I meant that if you'll put them back in wrong order, fans will run like a jet engine. So you'd notice that ;) If they didn't, you may have nailed the source of your problems by the accident. Try one CPU at the time in upper slot. One that won't work is most likely a culprit.

Thanks I shall give it a whirl

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Okay 666sheep

Bottom processor pulled out now we get power LED flashing on then off when mains power turned on other than that completely dead....I shall now try the bottom processor singularly in the top socket and then if the same result I shall reverse them....

Regards

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Okay 666sheep (part two)
I've returned the processors to original configuration and she's now completely dead....I get a single pulse on the front LED when I turn on mains power but other than that she's a doorstop.....

Regards

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
More playing around and reseating of CPU's and I'm back to where I started.....either this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361316551.819589.jpg

But with no command prompt line to input anything or response from keyboard or this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361316598.787819.jpg

No spinning wheel at all, where as yesterday we had spinning wheel and short excerpt of welcome video before hanging....

I'm assured by seller the video card was fully bench tested and games played with no issues prior to dispatch.....Hard drive had been formatted and Clean OS installed on a friends G5

I'm running out of ideas here

Regards

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Burnt a CD on my Windows laptop of a download of ASD 2.5.8 but can't get my Mac to do anything holding down the "C" on boot up....just ends up as this:

yqe8yra3.jpg

What can I do next?

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Well TDM works via FireWire on my iMac G5 it can see and look through the PowerMac's HDD and can even read the ASD 2.5.8 disc in the DVD drive.....hmm

N.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Burn ASD on a Mac using DU. It's hard to burn bootable disc from .dmg on Win. You do have G4 and iMac G5 IIRC.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Well...we rebooted and got all the way through the welcome video and setting up user details....got to time and date zone and locked up on me completely restarted and nothing back to blank screen....so back to TDM on my iMac and its setup my user profile on the HDD....so that's a start....will keep playing....

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Update.....

Waiting for hardware testing CD's to turn up....but have bought a DP 2.5GHz with a blown PSU as another project donor machine as its board and CPU's are matched and working....

Cheers

N.

Navare

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Tired her again today...

She booted...allowed me to reset the system clock and installed some software.....looked around the system for a bit then ran a DVD after resting graphics to a decent resolution.....after playing about two minuets the system hung and needed restarting, just boots to a black screen again now....I think system board BGA failure?

Regards

N.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.