Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
like every time i plug it back in i have to click on over 400 episodes again so iTunes finds them

That's not how it's supposed to work, and certainly isn't how it works for me, when the external gets plugged in iTunes immediately finds the files.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Does it allow you to store media on an external drive and prevent iTunes from creating a local media folder every time you accidentally open iTunes when the external drive isn't mounted?

I don't get it.. what would you want it to do (honest question)? To me, iTunes ability to work locally when I'm away from my external drive (say, traveling on business), but then recognize when I'm back home and switch back to my external drive, is one of the few things it truly does well.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
So if you don't mount your external and buy something from the iTunes store or add something to your library, where would it keep the download? Perhaps automatic consolidation when the external is re-attached is what is really needed?

Yeah, automatic consolidation when it's mounted would be an excellent idea. The thing is most Apple laptops now have teeny tiny SSD drives, but peoples media collections are only getting bigger. It would be nice if iTunes could cater a bit more to those who need to use an external.

I use my Time Capsule as external storage, which is probably why I'm always forgetting to quit iTunes before leaving my house. I have to manually consolidate my library several times a week because of this. Maybe I should just use a physical external HD. Would make it easier to remember.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Does it allow you to store media on an external drive and prevent iTunes from creating a local media folder every time you accidentally open iTunes when the external drive isn't mounted?

This shouldn't happen. I moved my entire iTunes library to my external drive and used option click to select the iTunes library location. Now when I open iTunes and the drive isn't mounted, it asks me for the location of the library and I can click cancel or create a new one.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I don't get it.. what would you want it to do (honest question)? To me, iTunes ability to work locally when I'm away from my external drive (say, traveling on business), but then recognize when I'm back home and switch back to my external drive, is one of the few things it truly does well.

But it doesn't consolidate when you get home does it? Mine doesn't. It shows little exclamation marks beside all my songs until I manually go in and edit the location of my media in preferences and it consolidates everything for 5 minutes or so. It's okay I guess, but seems like it could be smoother. For example, why create a new local folder unless you actually purchase something or download from the store while away from your external?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

that doesnt work for me ... never has. even back in 2004 it didnt work

i have itunes on my macbook
movies on one external hdd
tv shows on another external hd

everything plays fine ... BUT as soon as i unplug the hdds it obviously cant find the files but when i plug in the hdds again, it still doesnt find those files unless i click on each file with an "!" and open the "info" tap to re-assigng them with the file

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This shouldn't happen. I moved my entire iTunes library to my external drive and used option click to select the iTunes library location. Now when I open iTunes and the drive isn't mounted, it asks me for the location of the library and I can click cancel or create a new one.

So the problem is that my library file is still stored locally? Excellent, I think you've solved my problem. I left the library file on my Mac because I was told that was how you should do it...Not sure why.

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
A few things:

1. Where's this Composer view? I don't see it.

2. This update seems to have fixed the resizing problem in Windows, where maximizing the window would cause it to extend beyond the screen. That's a relief, as that was becoming a bit of an annoyance.

3. I'm still disappointed that Apple removed the button that brings you to what's currently playing on the list. Prior to iTunes 11, one click would scroll the list to where you currently are. Now, there's an extra step involved, where you have to click the arrow beside the song title, and then click the option in the list. It's less convenient.

4. I'm still not a fan of how album art is displayed. I usually use the 'Songs' view, so it's disappointing seeing the album art relegated to a tiny little square at the top of the screen.

iTunes 11 is clearly an improvement over iTunes 10 in many ways (speed, performance, creating playlists, cleaner interface etc...) but it also removed some functionality that I really liked.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Does it still clear your search results when you change between "sections" in the left panel? That frustrated me enough to go back to 10.7.

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
that doesnt work for me ... never has. even back in 2004 it didnt work

i have itunes on my macbook
movies on one external hdd
tv shows on another external hd

everything plays fine ... BUT as soon as i unplug the hdds it obviously cant find the files but when i plug in the hdds again, it still doesnt find those files unless i click on each file with an "!" and open the "info" tap to re-assigng them with the file

i want an option to store the music on my internal drive and tv shows on an external one. i work as a dj and i always must have my music with me, tv shows and movies however don't fit on my internal HDD. at the moment it's not possible to set a different location for music and other media. :(

i like that itunes organizes my files but please let me put the movie/tv show location to another one that my internal disk...

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
A few things:

1. Where's this Composer view? I don't see it.

2. This update seems to have fixed the resizing problem in Windows, where maximizing the window would cause it to extend beyond the screen. That's a relief, as that was becoming a bit of an annoyance.

3. I'm still disappointed that Apple removed the button that brings you to what's currently playing on the list. Prior to iTunes 11, one click would scroll the list to where you currently are. Now, there's an extra step involved, where you have to click the arrow beside the song title, and then click the option in the list. It's less convenient.

4. I'm still not a fan of how album art is displayed. I usually use the 'Songs' view, so it's disappointing seeing the album art relegated to a tiny little square at the top of the screen.

iTunes 11 is clearly an improvement over iTunes 10 in many ways (speed, performance, creating playlists, cleaner interface etc...) but it also removed some functionality that I really liked.

For number 3: Cmd-L should take you to the track that is currently playing.

macmacgoose

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Thank god, finally a Composers view. As a classical musician, when I search for music, I tend to search by composer and not so much artists. And since so many titles are similar, it's hard to search by song (ha, like I remember any opus numbers).

Now, if iTunes tracks were labelled correctly more of the time, that would be a big help. Guess I need to manually fix a ton of my albums now.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Still no CoverFlow !!??

What's the reason for still disabling the ability to use CoverFlow mode? They could have at least put it back as an option..

pabulous

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Is this update not available in the UK yet or something? When I "check for updates" via iTunes, nothing is found.

Edit: nevermind, had to do it through software update (I'm on Lion.)

Last edited:

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I left the library file on my Mac because I was told that was how you should do it...Not sure why.

The reason to keep your library local is so you can use iTunes while away from home for things like subscriptions. When I'm traveling I still want iTunes to keep my podcasts up to date.

Automatic consolidation would be a good feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.