Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Employees Hacked By Visiting iPhoneDevSDK

As reported by The New York Times, the software development website responsible for seeding malicious software to Mac computers at Apple, Facebook, and presumably Twitter has been revealed by a person who was involved with the investigation at Facebook.

The compromised site, iPhoneDevSDK, is an online forum designed for software developers. The site is still infected, and visiting it is not recommended.

At this time, it is unknown if the site had any involvement in the attacks, though it is likely that it was the work of third party hackers given the site's prominent standing as a dedicated community for iPhone developers.

Apple this morning announced that a small number of its employees' computers had been compromised through the Java plug-in vulnerability, an issue that has now been fixed with the Java update and malware removal tool released by Apple this afternoon.

Mac users can determine whether or not they have been affected by the security flaw by installing the Java update, which will notify a user if malware is found. Apple says that the Java update and malware removal tool will "remove the most common variants of malware."

As noted by The Next Web, iPhoneDevSDK is currently in maintenance mode.

Article Link: Apple Employees Hacked By Visiting iPhoneDevSDK
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Hacked this hacked that... this is turning out well for cyber-security enthusiasts.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:08 PM   #3
maxosx
macrumors 68020

The amount of breaches no matter the platform is truly getting out of control. It's time for increased focus by all in the tech sector to improve security.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:09 PM   #4
komodrone
Banned

site is still infected? I remember back in 2010 when Google warned me the site is infected.
komodrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
HiRez
macrumors 601

I have an account at that site, I hope I haven't been hacked. That's scary. I installed the update and didn't get a notification, hopefully it's OK. Does that apply to Java 10.6 running on Lion 10.7 also?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6

Folks are gonna get ticked at me but man. Had developers used the dev discussion instead of this place there probably wouldn't be this problem.

Is that site a place for jailbreakers ?
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Folks are gonna get ticked at me but man. Had developers used the dev discussion instead of this place there probably wouldn't be this problem.

Is that site a place for jailbreakers ?
No it is a site where ios developer discuss code, questions about business, and look for developers to work with.
Kashsystems is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
technowar
macrumors 6502

The site's on maintenance mode.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:16 PM   #9
ratfink
macrumors member

Several times over the last few years I remember searching for a development issue and seeing this site near the top but with a malware warning. It would seemingly fluctuate day-to-day or even hour-to-hour.
ratfink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashsystems View Post
No it is a site where ios developer discuss code, questions about business, and look for developers to work with.
In other words a 3rd. party place that serves the same function as the iPhone Dev discussions.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11
fins831
macrumors 6502a

Call me crazy, but this along with the chinese 'supposed' hackings, all while the government is getting ready to make another cyber legislation push....this is all TOO PERFECT.

the timing of everything is so suspect. Maybe I am trying to read between the lines but if they want to take away our rights on the internet, the first thing they have to do is scare us enough to allow us to waive them, raise the white flag.
fins831 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
In other words a 3rd. party place that serves the same function as the iPhone Dev discussions.
Sure but then this is a forum that serves the same functions as apple support forums
arn is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:26 PM   #13
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins831 View Post
snip
If that's true, how is this any worse than all the other millions of hacks, keyloggers, virii, and malware exploits we've been facing down for the past 20 odd years?
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:26 PM   #14
nagromme
macrumors G5

Just visited the site and nothing happened to me.

Long live President Hu Jintao!
nagromme is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:30 PM   #15
samcraig
macrumors G5

Ohhhhhhh the ironyyyyyy
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Fatalbert
Banned

1. Apple, ban Java from your employees' computers that need to be secure.

2. I'd pay extra for an ISP that has severed all connections to China. Really, just ban them from the Internet. That country is downright nasty. I get connections all the time from it trying to get the admin password from my website, and I've been unsuccessfully brute force attacked over SSH once from China (after that, I changed my SSH port to something non-default). The only good thing about China having advanced tech is that Cables Unlimited can make its probably-illegal HDCP remover to free us from Intel's BS.

This looks really bad for Oracle and Apple, though it's mainly Oracle's fault. I think Apple should release a statement to shove the blame over, which would help with their quest to kill Java (not that I agree with their goals fully).

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Fatalbert is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:32 PM   #17
sparkso
macrumors member

What were the impact of the hackings though? What did the hackers do to those employees computers?
sparkso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Iphonedevsdk always had trouble in the past. From the malware warning, hacked site (down) and now this.

Maybe all the members can migrate here. The discussion on that site is gold.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Sure but then this is a forum that serves the same functions as apple support forums
Oh. I agree. I was commenting on the state of relationships between Apple and developers.

It's sad that developers have to go to a 3rd party website for collaboration instead of Apple's official Dev portal.

[edit]

I might add this is going to cause some bad blood between Apple and the devs that go to the other website. Perhaps it will shake things up a bit.

[/edit]
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:40 PM   #20
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
Iphonedevsdk always had trouble in the past. From the malware warning, hacked site (down) and now this.

I visit this site daily its too bad this crap keeps happening. My work is going to be pissed if they have to wipe my machine again.

Last time it went down macrumors created a business sub forum but people dont use it much here maybe that will change now.

----------

On a side note its really suprising apple empolyees visit that site and we all thought they didnt care about devs...

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Ryth
macrumors 65816

I will not have networked computers aboard this ship

- Adama

Words of wisdom folks.
Ryth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:58 PM   #22
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post

This is an example of the prevalence of cheap hosting and open web frameworks. Overconfidence by do-it-yourself website creators that think that they've got it good, but fail to take all of the proper measures to secure their sites.
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:05 PM   #23
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
site is still infected? I remember back in 2010 when Google warned me the site is infected.
Google has warned me about it every few months.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:06 PM   #24
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
1. Apple, ban Java from your employees' computers that need to be secure.

2. I'd pay extra for an ISP that has severed all connections to China. That country is downright nasty. I get connections all the time from it trying to get the admin password from my website, and I've been unsuccessfully brute force attacked over SSH once from China (after that, I changed my SSH port to something non-default). The only good thing about China having advanced tech is that Cables Unlimited can make its probably-illegal HDCP remover to free us from Intel's BS.

This looks really bad for Oracle and Apple, though it's mainly Oracle's fault. I think Apple should release a statement to shove the blame over, which would help with their quest to kill Java (not that I agree with their goals fully).

Couldn't agree more. After banning all ips originating from that area, our hacking attempts were reduced by more than 50%.

As far as the internet is concerned, nothing good comes out of China.
macsrcool1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:19 PM   #25
koban4max
Banned

I guess mac become so insecure.....
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion