Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fvdm

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
NL
Remove faulty color profiles

I had this problem with browsing file versions (the time machine universe). For me the trick was to remove bad color profiles. Somehow OSX added two color profiles to my system on its own initiative, but they were no match with my MBP. In the Displays preference pane I had three default profiles for my MBP display and a couple more for my other displays. Two profiles had the exact same name and clicking the second of those two was impossible. The selection auto-jumped to the top of the list.

In /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays I had my regular profiles (including the good Color-LCD...icc) and the two faulty ICC's. Removing those 2 equally named profiles fixed the problem for me.

Now the graphics chips auto switch without visual difference. ;)

Ridgback

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
thanks random4t4x14

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro with an OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and got this problem too. I experience the change in color when opening apps like Keynote or OmniGraffle (with a document open)

Resetting the SMC worked for me. Thanks random4t4x14

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I had the same problem. I couldn't figure it out, and then I disabled auto-login and restarted. Not sure why, but it has been fine for a month now.

Tim

baronvonfunboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
I just started having this happen after a clean install of ML on a new SSD. Here's (I think) how I fixed it. I was trying so many things, so I apologize if this doesn't exactly work for you. But it's definitely possible to get auto-graphics switching without the color-temp changing.

1. With no other programs open (after a fresh reboot is probably best), calibrate your monitor as you like it under System Prefs -> Display -> Color
2. Turn off auto-graphics switching under System Prefs -> Energy Saver
3. Reboot
4. Navigate to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays and delete any profile that isn't your newly calibrated display profile. (In my case, two "Display" profiles were showing up)
5. Reboot
6. Turn on auto-graphics switching under System Prefs - Energy Saver
7. Reboot

I think that should do it. I realized that it was impossible to separately calibrate the discrete graphics card because whenever it opened up the calibration application, the computer would switch back to the integrated graphics card.

jpost-design

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2014
Also check auto launch apps - disable auto launch chrome worked for me

I just had this problem, and was searching for help.

In particular, the color temp of my monitor was changing when different apps launched. For example, I noticed it every time I launched Photoshop CC.

Resetting the auto launch apps via system preferences seems to have fixed it for me. Chrome somehow got set to autolaunch, and I believe was messing up the monitor color.

Quick guide here on stopping programs from auto-launch:
http://machicolate.wordpress.com/20...chrome-from-opening-automatically-on-startup/

I also logged out and back in, and that may play some part as well. However, logging out and back in without disabling the auto launch of Chrome made no difference at all. So that has to be connected.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Had the exact same issue on a Brand new MBP, i found the problem to be Teamviewer, once i uninstalled that it never came back, installed it again and it came back. Removed again and it was gone

wwwluckyro

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Romania
Resetting the SMC fixes the problem for me

The blue tint problem is also happening on a clean install of Yosemite 10.10.1. I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro with a classical HDD drive (so the issue is not SSD related for me).

The issue happened every time the GPU changed (launching Photoshop for example).

I reset the SMC, and all was well.

To reset the SMC on any Unibody MacBook Pro or higher -

1). Shutdown the Mac
2). Connect the MagSafe power cable
3). Press and hold the LEFT Option+Control+Shift keys on the built in keyboard
4). While still holding the keys above, press the power button in the top right corner of the Mac

This solution helped me fix the problem. Thanks!

splitthebiscuit

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Found this because I was having this issue. I was surprised to see that it was such an old thread. The simplest solution that I found (out of all the replies) is to simply log out of your profile and then log back in. Not a shut down, or a restart. I also had the "reopen windows..." box unchecked (not sure if that would have any affect, but it's worth mentioning). I have a 15" mid-2010 MacBook Pro.

This solution was discovered earlier in the thread, but I didn't see a reply with it in a while, so I decided to bump it. Hope it helps.

Parabolaralus

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
It seems like sometimes resetting the SMC/PRAM resolves this, but it does come back after a couple reboots making it quite ineffective.

The only thing that seems to last for a while is to disable gfx card switching using the discrete gpu, or use gfxcardstatus to enable the integrated one only.
Either way thats an annoying fix as you lose performance, or battery life if you just leave this be.

Ive been kind of dealing with this trying to brush it off as i see it which outlook 2011 triggers this, but just a couple days ago friday night i was sitting on the couch playing Postal 2 for a couple hours straight.
A normal session with a normal display would have been fine, but i hadn't realized the screen was so ridiculously blue that it was actually straining my eyes at which point for the first time in a few months just to watch TV i needed my glasses.

Thats when i went looking for this and the suggestions listed do work, however annoying they may be as this is something apple should have really corrected years ago.

The issue seems to revolve around the 15" 2010 macbook pros with SSDs equipped as well as the 330m GPU primarily...Though other models seem to be effected. I also have a clean install of 10.10.2 which it wouldn't make sense to reinstall again to troubleshoot.

mrjorch

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Very grateful user - By the way FileVault off = solution for me

I had the same problem after installing Mountain Lion on my 2010 MacBook Pro with SSD. But after turning off the FileVault the problem was solved magically. I can't figure out any reason for that but it just worked for me. :D

Had the same issue, and this solved it in my case :).

Been using gfxCardStatus since Mavericks.

Strangely I didn't have any issue with Mavericks, and even after upgrading to Yosemite, it was just after updating to 10.10.2 that came first the freezing problem and had to force-shut-down my Mid 2012 RMBP.
I solved this by:
1. Searching in MacRumors forum for other users experiencing the same issue and reading ALL the comments in threads (even after finding what I considered the solution).
2. Disabling the automatic graphics card switching.
3. Restart.
4. Enable the automatic graphics card switching.

A few weeks ago, after applying a “Security update” (not last week's one) to Yosemite, the color scheme issue appeared, and came back to this forum for a solution. As I mentioned above, disabling the FileVault worked for me.

I'd like to thank all the members of this forum for all the help they provide day to day (sometimes far beyond what Apple actually is willing to do for us), we all make it possible and I wanted to point it out. Very grateful :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.