Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

View Poll Results: What year do you think Apple will release a new keyboard and mouse?
2013 6 9.52%
2014 15 23.81%
2015 12 19.05%
2016 8 12.70%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 1 1.59%
2020 21 33.33%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:55 AM   #1
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

What year do you think Apple will release a new Keyboard and Mouse?

My guess is around 2016.

Solar powered?

Backlit keys?

Post your wish-list below regarding Apple's future mouse, keyboard, and trackpad.
iCaleb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Badagri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
Solar powered?

Backlit keys?
Funny how Apple is always slow with that stuff. Logitech already has solar powered. Same with backlit keys.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produc...50-mac?crid=26

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produc...d-k810?crid=26

Badagri is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

I agree that Apple is a bit slow at pushing out the latest and greatest.......Just look at a usb 3.0, but what happens when that rechargeable battery craps out on those logitech's?

Can you replace them?..........If not there both going to be junk in 3 years.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

I'm optimistic enough to say maybe this year or the next.

I can touch type quite well, so backlit keys are of little use to me. What I would like to see is better battery life and lower latency, which could be provided through an implementation of BT Smart (aka 4.0 low energy) technology. Oh, and though I do seriously doubt Apple would ever do it, it'd be sweet if the trackpad had an optional pen so that it could be used as a small drawing tablet.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
jamesjingyi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to jamesjingyi
I want a new magic mouse... Aluminium pls to match with all the MacBooks and iMacs... They don't even make the white MacBook any more so why keep the white one... The magic trackpad is the right colour so why cant the mouse be that colour.....
jamesjingyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

As long as they have wired options...
JesterJJZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
I'd suggest that Apple updates the Wireless Keyboard ASAP with Bluetooth 4.0. Not the design, but the technology inside. Any random Logitech keyboard runs six month or more on one pair of AAA batteries or even charges the battery via solar cells while typing, while Apple had to design their own charger to keep up with the power consumption.

Yes, waking up a Mac takes two seconds longer with those keyboards because they have to reconnect, but that's a small price to pay if your batteries last months longer. And Apple wouldn't be Apple if they couldn't find a way around that.

Quote:
I want a new magic mouse... Aluminium pls to match with all the MacBooks and iMacs... They don't even make the white MacBook any more so why keep the white one... The magic trackpad is the right colour so why cant the mouse be that colour.....
I wouldn't look good, and the white color fits the keys on the keyboard.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:52 PM   #8
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I want wired with backlit keys. I get tired of replacing batteries in desktop devices. Bought my wife the Moshi Luna so she could have backlit keys on her iMac.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:01 PM   #9
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
I'd suggest that Apple updates the Wireless Keyboard ASAP with Bluetooth 4.0. Not the design, but the technology inside. Any random Logitech keyboard runs six month or more on one pair of AAA batteries or even charges the battery via solar cells while typing, while Apple had to design their own charger to keep up with the power consumption.

Yes, waking up a Mac takes two seconds longer with those keyboards because they have to reconnect, but that's a small price to pay if your batteries last months longer. And Apple wouldn't be Apple if they couldn't find a way around that.
Actually BT 4.0 low energy reconnects much faster than conventional Bluetooth. In fact that's where most of the energy savings come from; it can immediately connect, send its information, and then disconnect again.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
What did stop Apple from updating the keyboard then, if the magical BT4.0 resolve all issues with the keyboard? I hope that it's not the Apple Battery Charger sales conundrum.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
David085
Banned

David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:54 PM   #12
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Would love, love, love a wireless keyboard with backlit keys for my iMac with bluetooth 4.0
KylePowers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:32 PM   #13
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Backlit would be nice, but can't they sell one with a built in lithium battery that can be charged over USB and used as a wired keyboard like a PS3 controller?

Swapping our batteries seems so low-tech to me.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:02 PM   #14
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Backlit would be nice, but can't they sell one with a built in lithium battery that can be charged over USB and used as a wired keyboard like a PS3 controller?

Swapping our batteries seems so low-tech to me.
I much perferred swapping batteries myself. Since then you DON'T have to wire it up. Plus it gives the devices a much longer life span. (eg rechargeable batteries can only be charged so many times, and lithiums have the additional quirk of their total capacity declining over time)

Last edited by APlotdevice; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:31 PM   #15
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
I much perferred swapping batteries myself. Since then you DON'T have to wire it up. Plus it gives the devices a much longer life span. (eg rechargeable batteries can only be charged so many times, and lithiums have the additional quirk of their total capacity declining over time)
Fair enough. I'm sure that's why Apple chose the battery route. A wireless keyboard should be truly wireless in their mind.

I do think the keyboard is due for a facelift since we haven't seen white keys since the death of the white MacBook and even the MagSafe connectors are aluminum now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:31 PM   #16
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
I do think the keyboard is due for a facelift since we haven't seen white keys since the death of the white MacBook and even the MagSafe connectors are aluminum now.
I ordered a black keyboard cover from amazon.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:44 PM   #17
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I ordered a black keyboard cover from amazon.

Looks great. Wish it came stock from Apple :-/
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:33 PM   #18
iCaleb
macrumors 6502

I got the black KB cover and it was awful.

You can read my 1 star review here.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 04:51 AM   #19
theSeb
macrumors 603

I am not too bothered because there are other manufacturers making much better peripherals than Apple has managed in recent times.

I use the following:

2 x Logitech Anywhere MX (one for home and one for office)
1 x Matias Quiet Pro
1 x Matias Tactile Pro

The typing experience on the Matias keyboard is wonderful. I am not sure why Apple can design a pretty good (relatively speaking) laptop keyboard, yet the desktop keyboard is horrible to use, especially when you consider that the Matias is actually based on an old Apple design.

Last edited by theSeb; Mar 4, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #20
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

It doesn't matter how long.

Apple hasn't released a decent keyboard or mouse since the "ADB days".

For peripherals, going third-party offers a much better choice (particularly regarding functionality) than does Apple.

I've been a Mac user since 1987, but I have little use for Apple peripherals since the advent of the "USB era". They are "all about form", and next-to-nothing about "function"...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:42 AM   #21
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree that Apple is a bit slow at pushing out the latest and greatest.......Just look at a usb 3.0, but what happens when that rechargeable battery craps out on those logitech's?

Can you replace them?..........If not there both going to be junk in 3 years.
1) Yes, you can replace the battery in the solar-powered keyboard with an ML2032, which is basically a rechargeable version of a CR2032.

2) No, you cannot replace the battery in the backlit keyboard.

Note that all I had to do to find this information out was go to the manufacturer's page and look. I didn't even have to find it, as the poster above provided links to their descriptions on Logitech's page.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:32 AM   #22
Weerez935
macrumors regular

I'd kind of like a keyboard that was a display.
I know touch typing isn't as good as a regular keyboard but apples done a good job with it.

Or perhaps they could have real keys with a display surrounding them. Imagine having your dock, widgets, notifications right there on the keyboard where apps could be manipulated by touch, visible(making them more useful), without cluttering your desktop.
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:34 PM   #23
Badagri
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I got the black KB cover and it was awful.

You can read my 1 star review here.

Shame, I was really interested in one.
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:08 PM   #24
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
1) Yes, you can replace the battery in the solar-powered keyboard with an ML2032, which is basically a rechargeable version of a CR2032.

2) No, you cannot replace the battery in the backlit keyboard.
Pretty strange that you can change the battery of K750, but you can't change it with K760. I was interested of buying the latter one.

I wish that someone would start to manufacture rechargeable battery to apple's wireless keyboard that would have USB port for charging in the same place that apple's keyboard has a cap for batteries.
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd

Last edited by toke lahti; Mar 30, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Oui
Banned

Why mess with it. The options now are great.

Last edited by Oui; Mar 30, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Oui is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals