Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
..allows defaults and intents...

...and also adds some UI refreshes as a bonus...

..that would probably give iOS a huge BOOST and certainly kill a lot of interest in the opposite side (WP8, android, BB etc) for fence sitters like me.

Now consider this, with mailbox (not the current one, but upgraded with labels and multiple email vendor support) and sunrise, and other apps, Apple doesn't really need to update their core apps anymore. The developers have covered it long ago.

While IMO android has the customization edge and holo apps do look amazing, even better actually, the issue is majority of dev is XDA like aka roots, kernels, ROMs, tweaking the hardware instead of focusing resources on good, great apps.

I still prefer the freedom of android and customization (a lot of which can be done without a custom ROM too btw), and i am not saying that the hacking part should go away, but may be google can figure out a way to keep apps secure (or developers can), and allure developers, not just those big corps which are typically slow to innovate on the app front, but those independents who make great innovative apps. The combo would be GREAT!!!

What do you guys think?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I want to be able to change defaults for apps and a quick way to switch between open apps like on my nexus 4. Also, I want to be able to put apps I don't want or don't use often of f the springboard and inti an app drawer. Those simple things would probably make me go back to my iPhone 5 from my nexus 4.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It would literally have to copy everything the Note II has (including the rather useful stylus) or do a better job at what an already excellent device does, for me to switch back on the phone end.

On the tablet side, it would need to essentially be similar to Linux or MacOSX in tablet form.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
It would literally have to copy everything the Note II has (including the rather useful stylus) or do a better job at what an already excellent device does, for me to switch back on the phone end.

On the tablet side, it would need to essentially be similar to Linux or MacOSX in tablet form.

Well I was talking more about the OS.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just matching the flexibility of Android (changing default apps, customization, ability to share with any other app) wouldn't be enough for me anymore. Without an increase in screen size (4.5" minimum, 4.8-5+ would be ideal, and not just longer :rolleyes:) I'm sticking with my Note 2.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Once iOS allows me to set default apps, access the file system, allow more APIs and sharing between apps, and a handful of widgets (not really a huge deal) I may switch back to it for my main phone when I'm done with my nexus 4.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I find these "what if iOS was more like Android" threads funny....

Truth is, I hope neither ever becomes more like the other. Sure they can each add features, but in keeping with the current philosophies - both which are extremely popular.

Just because one can't see the benefit of iOS over Android (or vice versa) doesn't mean the benefit doesn't exist.....it simply means you agree with that OS philosophy and should therefore purchase that type of phone....plain and simple.

I'll always be an Apple person (unless something really crazy happens like they stop making phones) - but I can see Android for what it is, and enjoy both platforms. Just happens my preference is Apple.

That being said, I think Apple can do most of what the OP mentions within their OS philosophy - the app experience reigns supreme and being able to change default apps would only further that by allowing users to use other apps for some of the daily tasks they are using the stock apps for. And TBH, I think Apple will get there and allow it.....just a matter of when.

However, something like opening up the file system wouldn't really be in keeping with Apple's app-centric ideal.....it causes the user to get bogged down (though I know those who want this don't see it this way) in the nuts and bolts as opposed to letting that slide into the background.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Once iOS allows me to set default apps, access the file system, allow more APIs and sharing between apps, and a handful of widgets (not really a huge deal) I may switch back to it for my main phone when I'm done with my nexus 4.

So... you want iOS to become Android?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
So... you want iOS to become Android?

No. What I asked for is only scratching the surface of what Android can do. They're pretty basic requests and something iOS should have had a while ago in my opinion. Asking for choice isn't a bad thing. If you don't want to use said features you don't have to.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Apple's philosophy inhibits the developer side of things from trumping Apple's apps, so don't ever expect an iOS device to allow anything other than Apple applications from being the default app for email, web browsing, etc.
I also wouldn't bet on Apple allowing access to the file system either. They develop to ensure every user gets the same experience, which means preventing you from getting into the UI.

I personally think that if Apple maintains their current course, the ship will eventually sink. I already see holes in the hull.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Doesn't matter. Apple has lost me as a regular consumer over the past two years where the continued and rapid rate of attempting to force users to upgrade to new hardware with the rapid release of OS versions which omit features from hardware sometimes less than a year old, when it is fully able to run it. (do not ask for examples, there are tons and I do not feel like typing what is available via a search).

The last straws were when they outed the iPhone 4 with some iOS features only available on the 4s, like Siri and the fast release if the iPad 4, giving the iPad mini features not available on the iPad 2 and a host of others for the MBP line.

I will keep my Macs another year or two and see what happens with Apple and this upgrade path. I am done with the phones, the world has caught up; I gave up on the routers when both my AEBS and Time Capsule both died after just 2 1/2 years of service, not to mention to insane dumbing down of Airport Utility to a near useless app and that leaves me with an "old" set of Apple TV 3, and iPad 1 and 3 and an iPod Touch my family use.

I fully expect the ATV 3 to be obsoleted when they release the new one and start putting apps exclusive to the new Apple TV, and Touch 4 will probably not get iOS 7 and I do not expect the iPad 3 to get much of it, if any either; I have already started replacing the iPads with a Nexus 7 and may get a 10 as well at some point.

So, while those devices still work, without being able to get new features and functions, I will just use them until they are dead and not replace them with Apple products unless there is a fundemental change in philosophy. Spending $200 a on device that is OS obsolete in two years is one thing, spending $600 or more on a device that is OS obsolete in 18 months is a very different thing IMHO.

I do not expect OS support and new features forever, but I think Apple is quickly shortening that window to be about a year. Yes they still release SOME updates to devices two years or more old, but often those releases kill the device performance and battery life.

And before someone says it, yes the devices still work even without OS updates, but there is a fundemental expectation of updates and support for your device, and when that ends you sense your devices days are limited; especially when the last OS release crippled your device.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
No. What I asked for is only scratching the surface of what Android can do. They're pretty basic requests and something iOS should have had a while ago in my opinion. Asking for choice isn't a bad thing. If you don't want to use said features you don't have to.

But that isn't Apple's MO. People go to Android for the choice. People don't go to iOS because they want choice. You can't change the defaults, for example. It might seem strange, but the average iOS user doesn't care about making those choices.

So, in the end, you do want Apple to make it more like... not iOS or the iOS philosophy.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Doesn't matter. Apple has lost me as a regular consumer over the past two years where the continued and rapid rate of attempting to force users to upgrade to new hardware with the rapid release of OS versions which omit features from hardware sometimes less than a year old, when it is fully able to run it. (do not ask for examples, there are tons and I do not feel like typing what is available via a search).

The last straws were when they outed the iPhone 4 with some iOS features only available on the 4s, like Siri and the fast release if the iPad 4, giving the iPad mini features not available on the iPad 2 and a host of others for the MBP line.

I will keep my Macs another year or two and see what happens with Apple and this upgrade path. I am done with the phones, the world has caught up; I gave up on the routers when both my AEBS and Time Capsule both died after just 2 1/2 years of service, not to mention to insane dumbing down of Airport Utility to a near useless app and that leaves me with an "old" set of Apple TV 3, and iPad 1 and 3 and an iPod Touch my family use.

I fully expect the ATV 3 to be obsoleted when they release the new one and start putting apps exclusive to the new Apple TV, and Touch 4 will probably not get iOS 7 and I do not expect the iPad 3 to get much of it, if any either; I have already started replacing the iPads with a Nexus 7 and may get a 10 as well at some point.

So, while those devices still work, without being able to get new features and functions, I will just use them until they are dead and not replace them with Apple products unless there is a fundemental change in philosophy. Spending $200 a on device that is OS obsolete in two years is one thing, spending $600 or more on a device that is OS obsolete in 18 months is a very different thing IMHO.

I do not expect OS support and new features forever, but I think Apple is quickly shortening that window to be about a year. Yes they still release SOME updates to devices two years or more old, but often those releases kill the device performance and battery life.

And before someone says it, yes the devices still work even without OS updates, but there is a fundemental expectation of updates and support for your device, and when that ends you sense your devices days are limited; especially when the last OS release crippled your device.

That's pure hilarity right here. Pure gold.

OMG, the irony.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
But that isn't Apple's MO. People go to Android for the choice. People don't go to iOS because they want choice. You can't change the defaults, for example. It might seem strange, but the average iOS user doesn't care about making those choices.

So, in the end, you do want Apple to make it more like... not iOS or the iOS philosophy.

I don't give a damn what the average user does. That's not what the thread is about. And you'd be surprised at the amount of "average" users who come to me asking "why can't I do this" or "why can't I do that? My old phone could." I don't think you have enough information to come to the conclusion that people don't want or need choice. People get iPhones because of marketing and getting what their friends have. Not because they like being trapped in a bubble.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
That's pure hilarity right here. Pure gold.

OMG, the irony.

Care to explain? The irony because what, Android has done this and will do this too? If so, sure, and I do not care. Like I said, huge difference in having to buy new hardware every 2 years at $200 a pop to keep up with the latest OS features one wants compared to paying $500 every 18 months for the same thing.

Just my opinion, everyone is entitled, but in my opinion, if I buy a device which is still on sale and an identical device is released as new and it has features not available on mine for no other reason than to sell the newer device, yeah it pisses me off and devalues my device in my mind. It is worse if I spent $500 on that device.

If you like the upgrade parade, more power to you, me, I would like a little longer support for new features and Apple, while decent in the past, in the last two years has been shortening and shortening that window IMHO.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Care to explain? The irony because what, Android has done this and will do this too? If so, sure, and I do not care. Like I said, huge difference in having to buy new hardware every 2 years at $200 a pop to keep up with the latest OS features one wants compared to paying $500 every 18 months for the same thing.

Just my opinion, everyone is entitled, but in my opinion, if I buy a device which is still on sale and an identical device is released as new and it has features not available on mine for no other reason than to sell the newer device, yeah it pisses me off and devalues my device in my mind. It is worse if I spent $500 on that device.

If you like the upgrade parade, more power to you, me, I would like a little longer support for new features and Apple, while decent in the past, in the last two years has been shortening and shortening that window IMHO.

I'm not sure what you're comparing. Which iPhone is $500 every 18 months? Or if you're talking about tablets, the $200 tablet (Nexus 7) has only been out less than a year now. How do you know the 2nd gen. of Nexus 7 will come out with Android 5.0 where the Nexus 7 (first gen.) gets a crippled version? It has happened before with the Nexus S and Galaxy (the S was given the boot with 4.2, and the Galaxy has less features than the Nexus 4).

Third party Android devices? The newest and baddest Android device of the day (HTC One) doesn't even have Android 4.2 (a 'promised' update), and Android 5.0? Don't hold your breath.

And if newer devices aren't allowed to have new features in fear of making yours feel inferior, why even release updated devices in the first place? That rationale is nonsense, and you know it.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010

Funny. So many Android manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc don't even update their phones at all. Some even promise an update and it will never come.

Apple is better in terms of actually supporting their devices well after release.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Dedicated back button as well.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
No thanks for a dedicated back button. I accidentally click them so easily on the S3 and Note 2 when I used them extensively. Was annoying when viewing videos and turning the phone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
No thanks for a dedicated back button. I accidentally click them so easily on the S3 and Note 2 when I used them extensively. Was annoying when viewing videos and turning the phone.

That's why it's nice having them on screen like stock Android intended. They also disappear when you watch a video.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Hardcore iOS fans want Android to be iOS, and conversely hardcore Android fans want iOS to be Android. Some people therefore will never be persuaded.

That being said, I think Android stands a better chance at attracting less loyal iOS users, given Google's commitment to polishing and beautifying the UI (thereby hoping to equal iOS in that important aspect) and the diversity of hardware/software choices.

iOS 7, for me, should have some different interactions and UI design changes. I don't care about widgets or heavy customization (I would like some light customization, though), as I'm jailbroken and realizing that widgets are quite useless to me and customizing can be too much effort for a phone. Really, I just want iOS to do the things it already does, but better.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Funny. So many Android manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc don't even update their phones at all. Some even promise an update and it will never come.

Apple is better in terms of actually supporting their devices well after release.

Agreed 100%

----------

I'm not sure what you're comparing. Which iPhone is $500 every 18 months? Or if you're talking about tablets, the $200 tablet (Nexus 7) has only been out less than a year now. How do you know the 2nd gen. of Nexus 7 will come out with Android 5.0 where the Nexus 7 (first gen.) gets a crippled version? It has happened before with the Nexus S and Galaxy (the S was given the boot with 4.2, and the Galaxy has less features than the Nexus 4).

Third party Android devices? The newest and baddest Android device of the day (HTC One) doesn't even have Android 4.2 (a 'promised' update), and Android 5.0? Don't hold your breath.

And if newer devices aren't allowed to have new features in fear of making yours feel inferior, why even release updated devices in the first place? That rationale is nonsense, and you know it.

My iPhone 4 32 gb in Japan cost me $500, 6 months later the iPhone 4s came out with features the iPhone 4 COULD have had with zero issues and didn't get it.

Like I said, I know Android devices are just as bad, but in general, I think a premium device, sold at a premium price deserves a bit more support than I think Apple is currently trending.

In the past it was much better, but recently, my feeling, and this is only my feeling, based on what I have seen with iOS 5 and 6 and with Lion and ML Apple is shortening the life of the OS (a good thing sometimes) but also shortening the support of new features for devices older than one year.

I am not talking about the inception date of the device, I am talking about the last sold date. I know Apple says it supports updates for two versions of iOS on devices, but if Apple continues to shorten product update cycles, and thus follows with shortened OS update cycles, you get to a point where Apple, in theory could release two OS versions in one year, then EOL on a device that is only a year old...OS update wise anyway.

Yes I agree that newer OS should be designed to take advantage of new hardware, no question, I agree 100% with that. It is the BS features that Apple excludes from hardware for no reason at all that pisses me off.

If that is the trend of the industry, so be it, but then I see no reason to pay a premium price for what is a disposable product. yeah yeah I know, it will still do all the things it did after it is EOL on OS upgrades, but you know as well as anyone, we like updates, we like new little features, we shouldn't have to toss a one year old phone to get them.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Seems the Android FUD is being spewed full force....

And here I thought we had turned over a new leaf....I was actually starting to like some of them. Oh well, I need to stop getting baited by the nonsense they say....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.