Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
yappco
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
My first application release - Vault - Photos and Videos enryption app

App is now available http://www.thevaultapp.com or direct iTunes link

----

Hi

I'm going to release my first application to the AppStore soon. I have experience, because I was writing apps for other companies but this one is more personal, so I decided to ask.

Vault is for storing Photos and Videos encrypted on your iPhone, of course locked with passcode. In case you will ever lost or get your phone stolen, nobody can ever see them.

There are some of apps like this in appstore, but they don't encrypt the data or don't support videos (and now after couple of weak of development I know why they didn't ).

Anyhow, I personally wrote that app to keep the photos of my girlfriend safe, but because I'm thinking about the ways to promote the app I would like to ask you.

- Will you be willing to use application like that?
- What would be the reasons you would use it?

By the way.
Application will be released in banner driver freemium model, you have fully functional app for Free, and with minimal payment ($0.99) you will get rid of the banners.

If anyone would like to know more about the app here are the screenshots:
- http://cl.ly/0c1i3C2j0L19
and here is a webpage:
- http://www.thevaultapp.com

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by yappco; Mar 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: App was released
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
I just finished my first promotional video for Vault. Check it out and give me your opinions please.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hNk7P_uQQVA
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
fujitsu
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
- Will you be willing to use application like that?
Yes.

Quote:
- What would be the reasons you would use it?
To keep private photos and/or videos safe.

Let us know when it's available.
__________________
Get your app reviewed on a PR 5 tech blog: http://www.tapscape.com/submit-app-review
64GB iPad (3rd gen)
fujitsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Garrett67
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujitsu View Post
Yes.



To keep private photos and/or videos safe.

Let us know when it's available.
Also yes. I have a similar app but it only allows for 12 photos.

I like my privacy and I could use something like this.
Garrett67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 4th padded cell on the right
Bookmark.

This other video you posted shows a nice, clean interface:



+1 the above who requested you keeping us updated.
Cheers!
shadow puppet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
Looks really nice! I don't think I would use it, just because I don't have a use for it, but for others that do, it looks like the best app out there. I really like the animations, and the fact that everything is actually encrypted is great. Awesome work man!
__________________
Great iPhone wallpaper website | Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
Release!

Finally today the application was reviewed by Apple and released to the AppStore.

Here is a download link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...601300764&mt=8

The app is free, so it's like free cookies for everyone, just take a bite

Also you can check out the website which is now live http://www.thevaultapp.com and the new promo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQIuyJBu6U.

Thanks
yappco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:58 PM   #8
lwapps
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappco View Post
Hi

I'm going to release my first application to the AppStore soon. I have experience, because I was writing apps for other companies but this one is more personal, so I decided to ask.

Vault is for storing Photos and Videos encrypted on your iPhone, of course locked with passcode. In case you will ever lost or get your phone stolen, nobody can ever see them.

There are some of apps like this in appstore, but they don't encrypt the data or don't support videos (and now after couple of weak of development I know why they didn't ).

Anyhow, I personally wrote that app to keep the photos of my girlfriend safe, but because I'm thinking about the ways to promote the app I would like to ask you.

- Will you be willing to use application like that?
- What would be the reasons you would use it?

By the way.
Application will be released in banner driver freemium model, you have fully functional app for Free, and with minimal payment ($0.99) you will get rid of the banners.

If anyone would like to know more about the app here are the screenshots:
- http://cl.ly/0c1i3C2j0L19
and here is a webpage:
- http://www.thevaultapp.com

Thanks for your feedback!
How did you manage to get your encryption approved for use in the US?
__________________
LW Apps iPhone iOS Applications
LW Apps Twitter
Best iPhone Apps: Studious Diary/Planner: bit.ly/PqTzyw Are You Normal?: m.lwapps.com/15HN0it Phys Pad: bit.ly/Pj86Oa
lwapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:08 PM   #9
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwapps View Post
How did you manage to get your encryption approved for use in the US?
\

Because I'm not a US citizen after contacting United States Department of Commerce I recived information that I don't need CCATS.
I'm not an US exporter. Some time ago Apple was expecting CCATS from all developers, but there was a change in law some time ago (I don't remember exact time, sorry) and now Apple doesn't require it for foreign developers.
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:21 PM   #10
lwapps
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappco View Post
\

Because I'm not a US citizen after contacting United States Department of Commerce I recived information that I don't need CCATS.
I'm not an US exporter. Some time ago Apple was expecting CCATS from all developers, but there was a change in law some time ago (I don't remember exact time, sorry) and now Apple doesn't require it for foreign developers.
That's fantastic! Didn't even know thank you.

Also very well done on the app. It looks awesome.
__________________
LW Apps iPhone iOS Applications
LW Apps Twitter
Best iPhone Apps: Studious Diary/Planner: bit.ly/PqTzyw Are You Normal?: m.lwapps.com/15HN0it Phys Pad: bit.ly/Pj86Oa
lwapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:43 PM   #11
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwapps View Post
That's fantastic! Didn't even know thank you.

Also very well done on the app. It looks awesome.
There is a little catch. When you will try submit your app, you will get a list of allowed uses of encryption, which doesn't require that, if your app does something that doesn't fit the list, you will be asked to get it anymore.
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Which algorithm does it use to encrypt the files? All I see is a ProgressIndicator that's way to fast to actually encrypt something.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:38 PM   #13
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Which algorithm does it use to encrypt the files? All I see is a ProgressIndicator that's way to fast to actually encrypt something.
Because of a need of random file access, it uses blowfish algorithm. And you are wrong, good implementation of blowfish is extremely fast.
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 04:34 PM   #14
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
This is true, but Twofish doesn't have any usable documentation or implementation so far. Blowfish is a part of Open SSL.

But what do you want to accomplish? In one post you are sugesting that there is no encryption, on another one you are sugesting that I'm using bad algorithm. I really encourage you to brake Vault blowfish based encryption if you think it's not good enough.
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
The Giuly user suggested that blowfish is not good enough and posted an information comming from blowfish author, that it should be replaced with Twofish. He had right, but Twofish is really hard to implement, and as you can see on wikipedia, there is only one possible attack on blowfish and it requires "weak" key to be used, I assure that Vault does not use weak key. After my comment the original post of Giuly was deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly;
---Quote (Originally by Bruce Schneier, Creator of Bluefish)---
At this point, though, I'm amazed it's still being used. If people ask, I recommend Twofish instead.
---End Quote---
Hmm.
I think that he is a developer or somehow related to developer of concurrent app who was trying to dimnish my application (which really had a huge encryption adventage compared to all of other apps like this).

I've noticed that post deletion and wanted to add a explanation, because without it, my answer sounds really bad, like I was yelling at the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappco View Post
This is true, but Twofish doesn't have any usable documentation or implementation so far. Blowfish is a part of Open SSL.

But what do you want to accomplish? In one post you are sugesting that there is no encryption, on another one you are sugesting that I'm using bad algorithm. I really encourage you to brake Vault blowfish based encryption if you think it's not good enough.

Last edited by yappco; Mar 4, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 02:00 PM   #16
apmos
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
The app looks well made.

Looking forward for the release!!
apmos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:19 PM   #17
new-to-mac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
gonna try it out. will let you know any feeback
new-to-mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:44 AM   #18
yappco
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-mac View Post
gonna try it out. will let you know any feeback
It's already available, http://www.thevaultapp.com or direct iTunes link

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by apmos View Post
The app looks well made.

Looking forward for the release!!
The app is already released http://www.thevaultapp.com or iTunes
yappco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:35 AM   #19
sherrie.melton5
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Phone Application Companies

Yes. I would like to use the application to protect my privacy . This way I will be able to protect my personal photographs and videos from others even if my mobile phone is lost or stolen.
sherrie.melton5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secret Photo Vault App - oneSafe Photos <<FREE Only Today>> DonaldSequeira iPad Apps 0 Dec 6, 2012 04:23 AM
Secret Photo Vault App - oneSafe Photos <<FREE Only Today>> DonaldSequeira iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 6, 2012 04:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC