Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boom Shack a Lak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I have an 3GS I bought new, full price, price off contract from Best Buy in 2009 to use outside the US, it is jailbroke and unlocked on 5.0.1 and I now use it on T-Mobile in the US. Baseband is 04.26.08.

Is it now possible to upgrade to 6.1.x and keep the carrier unlock for T-Mobile in the US? I have carefully waited and upgraded the os in the past, but I don't see much info about the unlock for 6.x.

(I did requested a carrier unlock from ATT and was denied, due to my original receipt being unreadable, although this phone is over 3.5 years old and has never been activated the ATT network, and was purchased at Best Buy for full retail price)

Boom Shack a Lak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Thanks, I did and received my confirmation email from SwiftUnlocks. I see you are active in another thread on this topic, do you know the best way for my to upgrade to 6.1? There are a few methods on their site, but I am worried about losing my current carrier unlock with the wrong method, keeping the jailbreak doesn't matter.

I have a AT&T 3GS purchased new in 2009 but never activated with AT&T. It was jailbroken and unlocked to use on an european carrier, now I use it with T-Mobile in the US. When I travel back I insert my european sim card and it works on that network too. The current iOS is version 5.0.1 (9A405) and baseband is 04.26.08.

Thanks for your help

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
you can deactivate the phone with redsn0w or SAM (cydia) reconnect to itunes, if phone activates the unlock has gone through and you can update to newest firmware in itunes without having to worry over the BB

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks, I did and received my confirmation email from SwiftUnlocks. I see you are active in another thread on this topic, do you know the best way for my to upgrade to 6.1? There are a few methods on their site, but I am worried about losing my current carrier unlock with the wrong method, keeping the jailbreak doesn't matter.

I have a AT&T 3GS purchased new in 2009 but never activated with AT&T. It was jailbroken and unlocked to use on an european carrier, now I use it with T-Mobile in the US. When I travel back I insert my european sim card and it works on that network too. The current iOS is version 5.0.1 (9A405) and baseband is 04.26.08.

Thanks for your help

You can purchase an unlock for that AT&T 3GS also.
Then restore it to the latest 6.1.2 and it will activate and work with any sim once you get the confirmation from swift unlocks. You will never lose that unlock.
Then JB by using evasi0n if you want. That wont mess with the unlock either.

Boom Shack a Lak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Thanks Applejuiced, I used SwiftUnlocks, updated and restored my phone with iTunes, and now I have an legit unlocked phone on T-Mobile, all for $1.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.