Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_mini_hand-500x614.jpg
According to a report from Digitimes, Apple supplier AU Optronics has managed to improve its poor iPad mini display yields, finally leading to increased availability of the current iPad mini and a solid infrastructure for the production of displays for the next generation mini.
Due to AUO's yield issues throughout the second half of 2012, cumulative shipments of the iPad mini were less than Apple's originally estimated 10 million units. However, the sources said AUO has solidified higher yields as of the first quarter in 2013, which will help keep the iPad mini in supply as well as most likely push up AUO's tablet panel shipments on year in 2013.
The iPad mini has been in short supply since its release in October 2012, after some models sold out just minutes after pre-orders began. Reports cited display production as the limiting factor, which led to ship times of up to two weeks.

Just today, we reported that Apple managed to reach supply-demand balance on the iPad mini. The tablet is now listed as "in stock" for immediate shipment from several online Apple Stores, which confirms the display yield improvements.

Digitimes is also reporting that AU Optronics has begun production of displays for the second generation iPad mini. Rumors have suggested that the next iPad mini will be equipped with a Retina display, and a report from November stated that AU Optronics was gearing up for production.

Retina is widely believed to be the next logical step for the iPad mini, and while there are no concrete hints on when an updated mini will be released, KGI Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently predicted that both the iPad mini and the full sized iPad will be updated in the third quarter of 2013.

Article Link: AU Optronics Catches Up with iPad Mini Display Production, Begins Working on Displays for Next Generation Model

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I absolutely love the size and weight of the iPad Mini. I think it's damn near perfect and if it gets a retina display (which seems 99.9%) likely, I will definitely be selling off my iPad 3rd gen for one. Though, I could very well be conflicted if the iPad 5th gen gets redesigned, slims down, and loses some weight. It'd be a tough choice!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Sucks if it's not till Q3.

----------

Yeah, I'll definitely be tempted.... but it's hard to rationalize when I already have a retina iPad... I guess I could sell it. It would be about an even swap.

I have a iPad Retina. I prefer the mini over it that my friend has.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The iPad Mini is already great. As soon as it gets Retina treatment, it will be nearly perfect.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The source is Digitimes. They report hundreds of plausible things, some based on things we know from other sources already (adding nothing) and some of which by luck turn out to be true. Few people bother to note all the times they're wrong, but their track record is poor.

I'm sure Digitimes loves the attention, but disregard this as pure speculation. Not a real "source."

As for retina, all of the following must be solved first:

* Bigger battery to drive that power-hungry display (remember: the iPad 4 is thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 for this reason!)

* Bigger battery to drive the powerful CPU and GPU needed to drive all those pixels.

* Making that extra-powerful battery happen without the device being thicker and heavier

* Fitting the thicker retina display in the same thin case... so maybe the battery has to be... smaller?

* Achieving high enough yields of the new display--and being confident of those yields (why make a better iPad if that means selling fewer?)

Those will be solved... but soon? I'm doubtful. Sounds like 2014 to me.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
AU Optronics managed to improve its poor iPad mini display yields

I wish it was: Apple managed to improve its poor iPad mini display

How can a company have a hard time making lo res fuzz screen like that? Great job Apple, finding some quality partners in the post-Samsung world :rolleyes:

:apple:

S

syd430

I love my Mini, it's absolutely perfect, but as soon as a Retina model comes out i'm throwing this horrible POS out the window - Macrumors readers

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm eager to dump my mini. The screen is next to impossible to adjust to. Especially since the iPhone 5, iPad 4, and 15" MBPr I have are all retina models.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I wish it was: Apple managed to improve its poor iPad mini display

How can a company have a hard time making lo res fuzz screen like that? Great job Apple, finding some quality partners in the post-Samsung world :rolleyes:

:apple:

The ipad mini display really isnt that bad. You know I was pissed off at the fact that it wasnt equipped with retina. I was totally against buying an ipad mini. But I have one now. And I love it. It is the same as my ipad 2 was. When I compare it to my mom's ipad mini. There is a difference but its not bad.

On top of that I wasnt waiting til october to buy an ipad mini.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
The source is Digitimes. They report hundreds of plausible things, some based on things we know from other sources already (adding nothing) and some of which by luck turn out to be true. Few people bother to note all the times they're wrong, but their track record is poor.

I'm sure Digitimes loves the attention, but disregard this as pure speculation. Not a real "source."

* Bigger battery to drive that power-hungry display (remember: the iPad 4 is thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 for this reason!)

* Bigger battery to drive the powerful CPU and GPU needed to drive all those pixels.

* Making that extra-powerful battery happen without the device being thicker and heavier

* Fitting the thicker retina display in the same thin case... so maybe the battery has to be... smaller?

* Achieving high enough yields of the new display--and being confident of those yields (why make a better iPad if that means selling fewer?)

So are you basically repeating the same stuff that was said about the iPad 3 and how no way it could be retina because of those same reasons and we wouldn't see it till iPad 4?

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
Retina display is no longer an argument in favor of apple, any Chinese or Korean manufacturers propose a smartphone or tablet with a resolution of 720p and more (check products of cube, oppo, huawei, Xiaomi, onda , hTC, LG, UMi, JiaYu etc ...).

Apple should instead focus its attention on a fundamental change for its mobile OS, Android , today, has nothing to envy, it's rather the opposite ...

catch01.gif

gooberwilson

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2012
Canada

Since the rumors are showing that the iPad with retina display will be adopting an iPad mini like design, it wouldn't surprise me that they've figured out a way to overcome these problems for the iPad mini as well.

zbarsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
If the full size iPad loses some weight and bezel, then a retina mini will be less of a temptation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.