Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sunrise Redesigns the Calendar Experience on iOS, Integrating Facebook, LinkedIn and Google Calendars

Sunrise Calendar is a smart calendar app that was designed by former Foursquare engineers to incorporate social networking and event information from Google Calendar, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

The app, which uses swipe gestures for quick switching between calendar days, offers a feed populated with Google Calendar and Facebook events, along with upcoming birthdays and daily weather information. Sunrise provides detailed information about events, such as a Facebook or LinkedIn profile of meeting attendees.
Quote:
-100% free calendar app with a gorgeous design.
-Compatible only with Google Calendar for now.
-A completely redesigned calendar experience for your iPhone.
-Synchronization that just works, in real-time.
-Quick Add Event just by typing "Lunch tomorrow at 9pm" (long-press on the +).
-Reminders.
-Timezone Support. No more headache when travelling!
-Facebook Events and Birthdays included.
-See faces of people you are meeting with using LinkedIn.
-Weather forecast based on your location.
-Smart icons.
-Tag location to events.
-Use Google Maps for Directions.
-Connect multiple Google Calendars.
Like Fantastical, Sunrise allows for colloquial language when entering events. For example, typing "Dinner with Bob at 6pm tomorrow" will schedule the appropriate event in the calendar. Sunrise uses a server component, much like Mailbox, to power its app integration and push notification system.

Sunrise Calendar is available as a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Sunrise Redesigns the Calendar Experience on iOS, Integrating Facebook, LinkedIn and Google Calendars
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:49 PM   #2
bushido
macrumors 601

time to replace my last default apple app apple rly need to step up their game software wise
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Mwongozi
macrumors member

Seems like an interesting idea, but unbelievable that it won't show your existing iCloud calendar. That seems like an essential feature to me.
Mwongozi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Apple will probably integrate their designs in Calendar at some point in the future.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5
GeertCu
macrumors newbie

no iCloud no game.
GeertCu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:00 PM   #6
rezzo
macrumors regular

I still waiting to try Tempo Smart Calendar.
Look very nice Sunrise... and don't needed wait.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:02 PM   #7
khirok
macrumors newbie

Worthless! Requires you to use your Facebook login and won't allow you to use it without that. For toting so much on Google why do they require Facebook?
khirok is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
nampramos
macrumors 6502

Can't really understand how a company launches an app like this for iOS with no iCloud contacts support.

Do they expect me to just re enter all my calendar meetings once again on their app? What if I have 100 calendar meetings already booked on my iCloud?

The app looks great but I won't use it like this.
nampramos is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
stevebubble
macrumors member

Would be nice to try but not everyone has a Facebook account, I certainly don't.
stevebubble is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

The interface and video look absolutely interesting, but from what I can see here is that a Facebook connection is mandatory and other calendars aside from Google are not supported. Such a shame.
KALLT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:29 PM   #11
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebubble View Post
Would be nice to try but not everyone has a Facebook account, I certainly don't.
You could quickly create one with just placeholder data simply to be used in cases like this (of which there are certainly more than a few).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:45 PM   #12
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Cool, but...

Looks great, but I'm using iCloud, Google, Facebook and RSS iCal feeds and REALLY don't want to lop any of them off considering they work pretty well using iCal or Calendar or whatever the Mac App is called.

Progress is good.
tdhurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:24 PM   #13
KevinMHC
macrumors member

are there even any apps that can support iCloud ?

i dont think apple even lets apps access icloud info besides their own products

i can't even share my icloud calendar to someone else who isnt using icloud
KevinMHC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:37 PM   #14
stevebubble
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
You could quickly create one with just placeholder data simply to be used in cases like this (of which there are certainly more than a few).
Cheers thats a good idea and with the growing number of apps that require a Facebook account I guess I will have to do that.
stevebubble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:50 PM   #15
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMHC View Post
are there even any apps that can support iCloud ?

i dont think apple even lets apps access icloud info besides their own products

i can't even share my icloud calendar to someone else who isnt using icloud
Yes. There do allow it now.
Week calendar for one accesses my iCloud cal. Groups drag and drop for iCloud contacts.

All these apps requiring a social media login can die on the vine as far as I am concerned. Social media is out of control, kind of representative of whoring your information for as many to see as possible.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:55 PM   #16
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Yes. There do allow it now.
Week calendar for one accesses my iCloud cal. Groups drag and drop for iCloud contacts.

All these apps requiring a social media login can die on the vine as far as I am concerned. Social media is out of control, kind of representative of whoring your information for as many to see as possible.
and if you just use a dummy account simply for login purposes what exactly is the big downside?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Nrwrit3r
macrumors 6502a

This looks like such a great app that I'm sure they'll have a million people on the wait list! Can't wait.
Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:30 AM   #18
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrwrit3r View Post
This looks like such a great app that I'm sure they'll have a million people on the wait list! Can't wait.
what wait list?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 AM   #19
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Looks good, but I don't want the 200 or so people I have as friends, but don't really know on FB, birthdays on my calender....
spazzcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:23 AM   #20
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Looks nice though ...

Hope the next version correct the little "mandatory Facebook" bug ... I don't want my calendar synced with FB. I stay with "Week Calendar" as alternative.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:32 AM   #21
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
and if you just use a dummy account simply for login purposes what exactly is the big downside?
Dunno. Does it give Zuckerberg and his minions access to my calendar info, even under a pseudonym? If so, then I'm not interested.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A
John.B is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:42 AM   #22
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by khirok View Post
Worthless! Requires you to use your Facebook login and won't allow you to use it without that.
Ugh. I've immediately discarded more than a few apps because they refuse to function without my Facebook credentials.

We need a word for the business model "free download, but we get to mine your Facebook account for all it's worth".
curmudgeon32 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:40 PM   #23
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
Ugh. I've immediately discarded more than a few apps because they refuse to function without my Facebook credentials.

We need a word for the business model "free download, but we get to mine your Facebook account for all it's worth".
I was going to say crap, but at least you can use crap to fertilize your garden.
PBG4 Dude is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:37 PM   #24
litmag01
macrumors regular

Question...

Has anyone used this application, and if so, how well does it perform given the multiple services?

(Also I agree the Facebook login should be optional. Perhaps enabled within the app's settings.)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:30 PM   #25
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Dunno. Does it give Zuckerberg and his minions access to my calendar info, even under a pseudonym? If so, then I'm not interested.
and why would it? Especially if you simply provide a placeholder account that you would have simply for sign in purposes? Never really seen any complexity or irrational fear in that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post

Why is that? Not exactly hard to have a placeholder account that is simply used for login purposes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Looks nice though ...

Hope the next version correct the little "mandatory Facebook" bug ... I don't want my calendar synced with FB. I stay with "Week Calendar" as alternative.
You don't have to sync it with FB.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion