Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
yep, but only by just a bit ;-)

Seriously though it just looks like such as small surface area I just can't see it being used very much (like six axis was barely used).....

Yep, it really does look next to useless. I hope I eat my words, but cannot see it being used for anything other than right side for start and left side for select.

Only decent thing they could do with it is use it to manipulate maps. Even then it is a bit on the small side.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
When I first heard of a touch screen on the controller I was initially imagining something halfway between a Vita and a Upad...

Then it turns out the screen is, in fact, just a Vita-style touch pad... ok, I'm cool with that, I think the rear touch is a nice addition to the handheld.

And now it turns out it's not a rear touch pad, but one that's the size of a postage stamp, squeezed in between the D-pad and buttons that more than likely isn't multi-touch.

Yeah, it does seem a little pointless.....

This one occasion when I would have loved for Sony to have been 'inspired' by Nintendo, and then shown them how to do it properly.

:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
When I first heard of a touch screen on the controller I was initially imagining something halfway between a Vita and a Upad...

Then it turns out the screen is, in fact, just a Vita-style touch pad... ok, I'm cool with that, I think the rear touch is a nice addition to the handheld.

And now it turns out it's not a rear touch pad, but one that's the size of a postage stamp, squeezed in between the D-pad and buttons that more than likely isn't multi-touch.

Yeah, it does seem a little pointless.....

This one occasion when I would have loved for Sony to have been 'inspired' by Nintendo, and then shown them how to do it properly.

To me it seems more like an additional navigation thing. Did you ever have an official BT keyboard for the PS3? It had a method of moving the cursor by using the keys as (effectively) a low-resolution touchpad.
Thing is they could stretch out the controller quite easily depending on how important they want to make the touchpad.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
How is everyone going to watch it on Wednesday?
I'm thinking IGN, they are going to do a sort of build up beforehand, can make a night of it. I am so excited.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I didn't realise it was quite as late as 18:00ET. I was thinking it would be more along Apple's schedule so it would be on at around 17/18:00 here in the UK, so I could watch it whilst eating me t...

Anyway, I'll be sat here at 23:00 watching on the iPad via Engadget or Joystiq I assume.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Yep, it really does look next to useless. I hope I eat my words, but cannot see it being used for anything other than right side for start and left side for select.

Only decent thing they could do with it is use it to manipulate maps. Even then it is a bit on the small side.
I think developers can do some exciting things. Just like you, I'm not sure whether or not it is going to be used a lot or whether or not it is even useful but we can see quite a lot of changes if these pictures turn out to be accurate:

- New, moderner design [taste, you like it or you don't]
- Bigger, longer handles too [something a lot of people have been asking for]
- Improved controls: analog sticks improved (more Xbox 360-like, better grip), not visible in picture but there are claims it has better (L2/R2) triggers, more spacing between the famous four PS-buttons (for those with bigger hands)
- Improved d-pad: more Vita-like, which gamers really seem to enoy

These are just some of the improvements I immediately see. It's what people have been asking for: not something entirely new, like that boomerang-controller we saw with PS3, but definitely an improved dualshock 3.

Then there are also some things that catch my eye:

- Headphone jack
This generation, headphones for gamers have become more and more popular. The cheap ones usually have to plugged in somehow and the more expensive ones are usually wireless, but experience more lag. An integrated headphone jack allows you, as a gamer, to connect it with your gaming-headphones without long, sluggish cables.

- Speaker (+ microphone?)
I have doubts if developers are going to use this, but if integrated correctly, it can add to the experience

- Touchpad
Well, as some here mention, we should wonder whether it is going to be useful. That said, I am really excited Sony is actually trying out improved or new ways of input for gaming. It means Sony is trying out new stuff, looking to improve games. This touchpad might be used by developers a lot - or maybe not. To me it indicates that Sony is at least trying to innovate; trying to improve the gaming experience.

- Integrated move functionality?
Again, questions here. Is it going to be useful? And do we want to have a glowing controllers in our hands all the time? I don't know, but let's not forget we're talking here about a prototype. Again, we don't know whether or not it is going to be useful, but to me this indicates Sony is trying to improve the gaming experience.

-------------------------------------------------
I see potential for the touchpad. I see potential for the integrated speakers. I see big improvements on the d-pad, sticks and over-all design.

It's a prototype, but Sony is at least busy trying to somehow improve the gaming experience. I'm excited, and we'll see what next week's event will bring. :)

----------

I didn't realise it was quite as late as 18:00ET. I was thinking it would be more along Apple's schedule so it would be on at around 17/18:00 here in the UK, so I could watch it whilst eating me t...

Anyway, I'll be sat here at 23:00 watching on the iPad via Engadget or Joystiq I assume.

European customers are more loyal to brands. That is why, even though the Xbox 360 launched almost 1.5 year sooner, the PS3 has done better in Europe then the Xbox 360 (with, however, the notable exception of the UK).

Sony needs to get the American market back. Also, let's not forget Sony is a Japanese company. I believe this event is perfectly timed for Sony: a late-afternoon event in the United States (so enough time for the media to talk about it the entire day), while in Japan the event starts at 8 AM - just when a regular day is about to start. Again, enough time for media to talk about it all day.

In Europe, the event will take places at 11 PM UK time or 12 AM Central European Time. It doesn't really matter if European customers are sleeping when they are livestreaming the event, because media outlets will talk about it in the morning and, again, European customers are more loyal so there is no real _need_ for an all-day hype.

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
European customers are more loyal to brands. That is why, even though the Xbox 360 launches almost 1.5 year sooner, the PS3 has done better in Europe then the Xbox 360 (with, however, the notable exception of the UK).

Brand loyalty is personally something that interests me. And I think you make a good point by flagging it up. Sony have been slated for their (lack of) Playstation marketing this entire PS3 generation. Maybe as a result of the PS2's popularity.
Regardless, I think that brand loyalty is key for Playstation, especially now. All of the Xbox owners I know here in the UK do not appear to be brand loyal at all. Not something I can say for my Playstation owning friends.

People need to be reminded why they loved the playstation/Playstation 2. Maybe that is why Playstation have began this 'evolution of Playstation' campaign - https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Brand loyalty is personally something that interests me. And I think you make a good point by flagging it up. Sony have been slated for their (lack of) Playstation marketing this entire PS3 generation. Maybe as a result of the PS2's popularity.
Regardless, I think that brand loyalty is key for Playstation, especially now. All of the Xbox owners I know here in the UK do not appear to be brand loyal at all. Not something I can say for my Playstation owning friends.

People need to be reminded why they loved the playstation/Playstation 2. Maybe that is why Playstation have began this 'evolution of Playstation' campaign - https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/
Sony recently hired a new advertising agency (I believe just a few weeks ago) and dumped the one responsible for all PlayStation 3 ads, so hopefully that's an area that will improve.

Last time I saw a PlayStation-ad on TV must have been more than a year ago.

The 'evolution of PlayStation'-campaign is just a way to get everybody 'hyped up' for next week's event, but maybe you are right: it might be Sony trying to bring up some old 'happy' feelings about PlayStation. I was surely excited when I saw the first Evolution of PlayStation-video yesterday.

About the brand loyalty thing: I think I'm quite brand loyal as well. To give an example:

- Windows user
I like Windows. A lot. If Apple wanted to convince me to go for OS X, than they would have a really hard time. Not only would they need to convince me to get acquainted with an entirely new operating system, but they would also be asking to give up the OS I grew up with.
I'm not saying it is impossible, but it's not easy either.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Only two more days, and still no substantial leaks except for the dev kit controller photos. I'm impressed, Sony, way to keep the lid on this time!! :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Well there is an artical in the Times (a British paper) claiming that the PS3 will cost £300 in the UK. This apparently comes from leaked documents.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/technology/article3691304.ece
You cannot read the whole article without an account.

Now I absolutely hate reading gaming news from non-gaming media. So here is a pile of salt.

Maybe will come in at $299, because it's a STREAMING device?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-5...ream-games-in-real-time-over-net-says-report/

Does that mean you will REQUIRE an Internet connection to play, and you are merely sending controller inputs to a server, and you're just watching the video gameplay on the server? ISP with data caps will love this...

Would make sense - Sony will be able to control DRM and backwards compatibility since everything's is now running on their servers. Buying a disc - it will only have license info...

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-5...ream-games-in-real-time-over-net-says-report/

Does that mean you will REQUIRE an Internet connection to play, and you are merely sending controller inputs to a server, and you're just watching the video gameplay on the server? ISP with data caps will love this...

Would make sense - Sony will be able to control DRM and backwards compatibility since everything's is now running on their servers. Buying a disc - it will only have license info...

Streaming games is only any use to people with fibre broadband. Something that I cannot get where I live.
I just don't think we are ready for that yet.
I think there will be multiple SKU's, and if there is any truth to a £300 PS4, then it will have a tiny hard drive.

I am still hoping Sony let us upgrade the specs :D

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

The streaming rumours are only for PS3 backwards compatibility, not new games. $299 for a streaming box would be way too much anyway!

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
LOL I just came in to the forums to ask if it was worth it buying the old PS3 or if it was better to wait for the PS4! Didn't realize the launch day was TODAY! :p

Anyway, does anyone know if Sony pretends to keep backward compatibility with PS3s blu-rays?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
LOL I just came in to the forums to ask if it was worth it buying the old PS3 or if it was better to wait for the PS4! Didn't realize the launch day was TODAY! :p

Anyway, does anyone know if Sony pretends to keep backward compatibility with PS3s blu-rays?

Today is the reveal - don't expect it to launch before winter! ;)

I wouldn't expect full PS3 compatibility, as the processing architecture is very different. Rumors say the PS4 will stream PS3 games using the acquired Gaikai technology. But it's only rumors and speculation at this point.

Hopefully we'll know more tonight!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.