Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I honestly loved the iPhone 5 hardware. Device wise its fantastic. But when I tried to do things like make a song a ringtone just to find out I need iTunes and 17 steps I was like what? iOS is a rock its fast, its stable, and the apps look fantastic. Battery life? Unbelievable. The Apple maps thing I thought was completely over blown. Google maps has plenty of its own issues and I never drove into a ravine. Sorry if I miss read your post. I want to love the iPhone and for the first 4 months it was true love. Then it hit me. Now its the Droid DNA the M7s little brother.

I've heard the DNA is great - always liked HTC, even though I've never owned one. Just too many rough things heard about them - bad battery life, camera, the Sense skin sucks, etc....

The Nexus 4 is a great phone IMO, especially for the price. I too am enamored with the iPhone 5 build, however I find the Nexus 4's build quite nice as well.

And by the way - I too had that ringtone app that made you go to iTunes - I've replaced it with one that does it on your phone ;).

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
While I would agree there are some things Android does more.....conveniently, than iOS, the fact is the capabilities are pretty much the same. I can check my commute and weather just as you can - and while I may not have the option (I know that's the keyword - option) to put these things on my home or lock screen, that doesn't negate the fact I can do them.
I don't think you're fully grasping what I'm saying. It's not just that I can put it on my lock screen. My phone is getting this information for me on its own. In the afternoon, it is showing something different on my lock screen. For example, yesterday evening it recommended a restaurant to me (which I wound up going to because I was actually trying to decide on one). The phone knows that in the morning, I need certain information, and it knows that later on I need different information. It provides me that information without me having to request it. It just does it on its own. This is what I have grown to expect out of a smartphone now.

Obviously you are an Android user and it is what suits you best. My point in all of this is defining one or the other as "superior", "antiquated" or any type of comparison along these terms is ultimately silly. One should critique each platform on its own merit - not in comparison with another.....especially when the ideals behind each are overwhelmingly different.

As for the screen size thing....I'm all for Apple adding the larger size - and definitely think they will at the latest next year - meaning its likely been in production since 2011....again, this reactionary idea is blown out of proportion and I still don't see a larger screen as an "advancement" - simply as a preference. And I agree, it makes no sense for Apple not to offer that preference, much like it offers consumers two color choices.
It's a smartphone, thus it will be compared to other smartphones. That said, when compared to other high-end smartphones, it does seem a bit antiquated. Basic functionality like full bluetooth capability is absent, that is an example of it being antiquated. It has a tiny screen in comparison with other high-end smartphones, that adds to the antiquation. The many shortcomings that I have come to expect as standard features in a smartphone makes me consider the iPhone antiquated. Then when I add the fact that it doesn't have any cutting edge features such as the ones I spoke of previously, it makes me wonder what makes this smartphone "smart"? When I compare it to the competition, I can't help but consider it an "old-school" smartphone.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't think you're fully grasping what I'm saying. It's not just that I can put it on my lock screen. My phone is getting this information for me on its own. In the afternoon, it is showing something different on my lock screen. For example, yesterday evening it recommended a restaurant to me (which I wound up going to because I was actually trying to decide on one). The phone knows that in the morning, I need certain information, and it knows that later on I need different information. It provides me that information without me having to request it. It just does it on its own. This is what I have grown to expect out of a smartphone now.

It's a smartphone, thus it will be compared to other smartphones. That said, when compared to other high-end smartphones, it does seem a bit antiquated. Basic functionality like full bluetooth capability is absent, that is an example of it being antiquated. It has a tiny screen in comparison with other high-end smartphones, that adds to the antiquation. The many shortcomings that I have come to expect as standard features in a smartphone makes me consider the iPhone antiquated. Then when I add the fact that it doesn't have any cutting edge features such as the ones I spoke of previously, it makes me wonder what makes this smartphone "smart"? When I compare it to the competition, I can't help but consider it an "old-school" smartphone.

I understand what you are saying - but that still is a preference. I don't NEED or even WANT my phone telling me things throughout the day - I prefer to check it on my own. I will admit, I haven't messed around with Google Now a ton because I've never really cared about the benefit. Maybe I should look into it....

When you say full-bluetooth capability you mean like having trouble connecting to my car's sound system and syning the contacts? Something my iPhone has no trouble with?

Look, I'm fully aware there are things absent in the iPhone - NFC, bluetooth pairing with a mouse (for God knows why), widgets, and the like. If you want to characterize iOS as an "old-school" OS, that's your prerogative.

Obviously, I've failed to convince you its simply a difference of philosophy and not of old vs. new. Oh well! Can't win 'em all :)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I've heard the DNA is great - always liked HTC, even though I've never owned one. Just too many rough things heard about them - bad battery life, camera, the Sense skin sucks, etc....

The Nexus 4 is a great phone IMO, especially for the price. I too am enamored with the iPhone 5 build, however I find the Nexus 4's build quite nice as well.

And by the way - I too had that ringtone app that made you go to iTunes - I've replaced it with one that does it on your phone ;).

Sorta off topic but let me ask you how does caring two phones work? I thought about keeping the iPhone but how would I use them both? I use my DNA for both work and play now.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sorta off topic but let me ask you how does caring two phones work? I thought about keeping the iPhone but how would I use them both? I use my DNA for both work and play now.

I wasn't going to switch to Android unless I could keep my iPhone 5 as a safety net :)

Like I said, I still prefer iOS overall. It helps that my job requires an iPhone for work and given the opportunity to have two phones (and only pay for one line) I decided to try Android out.

I like to try new things out and like carrying multiple devices around lol - I know its a tad unusual, though I've seen some posters on here with 3-4 active phones at a time.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I understand what you are saying - but that still is a preference. I don't NEED or even WANT my phone telling me things throughout the day
Somehow I had a feeling this would be your response. It seems that's always the response given when there is some functionality lacking on the iPhone...the response is invariably "I don't need that". :rolleyes: There are many things your phone does that you don't need, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to do it. A smartphone isn't a necessity, it's a luxury, you don't need it either.

- I prefer to check it on my own. I will admit, I haven't messed around with Google Now a ton because I've never really cared about the benefit. Maybe I should look into it....
Ok, then you can still check it on your own. You don't have to put a lock screen widget on your phone. Guess what? If you want to check it on your own when you're ready, your phone will still already have the information gathered already, so when you're ready for it it's there. Either way you slice it, it still beats having to go seek the information. If you don't want it showing up on your screen, you don't have to. There's no arguing that it is better to have your travel time home already calculated and ready for you ahead of time, than having to go into maps and check the traffic, then calculate a route just to see the travel time and traffic.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Somehow I had a feeling this would be your response. It seems that's always the response given when there is some functionality lacking on the iPhone...the response is invariably "I don't need that". :rolleyes: There are many things your phone does that you don't need, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to do it. A smartphone isn't a necessity, it's a luxury, you don't need it either.

Ok, then you can still check it on your own. You don't have to put a lock screen widget on your phone. Guess what? If you want to check it on your own when you're ready, your phone will still already have the information gathered already, so when you're ready for it it's there. Either way you slice it, it still beats having to go seek the information. If you don't want it showing up on your screen, you don't have to. There's no arguing that it is better to have your travel time home already calculated and ready for you ahead of time, than having to go into maps and check the traffic, then calculate a route just to see the travel time and traffic.

Ok....like I said. I understand. What you aren't understanding is that option/choice would undermine Apple's philosophy when it comes to iOS.

Again - if you were creating an OS that was completely app-centric, why would you provide ways to stay out of those apps? Obviously, you personally wouldn't build an OS in such a way - which is why you use Android.

Am I not making any sense? I think I'm making pretty fantastic sense :D.

The short & sweet:

-Two philosophies: iOS = apps, Android = OS. Neither wants to undermine its own philosophy.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Ok....like I said. I understand. What you aren't understanding is that option/choice would undermine Apple's philosophy when it comes to iOS.

Again - if you were creating an OS that was completely app-centric, why would you provide ways to stay out of those apps? Obviously, you personally wouldn't build an OS in such a way - which is why you use Android.

Am I not making any sense? I think I'm making pretty fantastic sense :D.

The short & sweet:

-Two philosophies: iOS = apps, Android = OS. Neither wants to undermine its own philosophy.

I think amid all of this dialogue, you've lost my point. My point is that my expectation level has grown when it comes to my smartphones. I expect certain levels of functionality. I expect my smartphone to be smart, not just launch apps. The philosophy that you keep mentioning, is the very reason I feel it is archaic. The concept of my phone shouldn't do anything besides launch apps, is quite archaic. In today's world, a smartphone should be functional, not just open apps. This is my view, and this is one of the reasons I consider the iPhone to be a less capable device.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I think amid all of this dialogue, you've lost my point. My point is that my expectation level has grown when it comes to my smartphones. I expect certain levels of functionality. I expect my smartphone to be smart, not just launch apps. The philosophy that you keep mentioning, is the very reason I feel it is archaic. The concept of my phone shouldn't do anything besides launch apps, is quite archaic. In today's world, a smartphone should be functional, not just open apps. This is my view, and this is one of the reasons I consider the iPhone to be a less capable device.

Lol - For your point of view I concur. Though I myself don't feel the same way.

I think we technically agree - maybe not in the wording per say but in the overall message.

iOS doesn't work for you. Hence you prefer Android. I am the opposite. Ultimately, my point is - both of our preferences should be valid - and in my mind are.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Is this whole thread now degenerating into iOS vs. Android?

Actually - iGentleman and I have had a pretty good conversation on both iOS and Android....

He can speak for himself, but I wouldn't characterize it as iOS VS. Android....simply looking at each and discussing them.

You're right though - wrong thread for it. Sorry :D

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually - iGentleman and I have had a pretty good conversation on both iOS and Android....

He can speak for himself, but I wouldn't characterize it as iOS VS. Android....simply looking at each and discussing them.

That is a fair enough response. I can see it is a reasoned discussion.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That is a fair enough response. I can see it is a reasoned discussion.

Haha - back on topic....

After getting the N4 and having no money to spend on a 3rd mobile phone, the build of the HTC One is REALLY making me drool....really liking the way it looks...

Though I'm not convinced about Sense. I really like the stock Android experience.....especially the timely updates.

Someone needs to pre-order and tell us all about it!

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Haha - back on topic....

After getting the N4 and having no money to spend on a 3rd mobile phone, the build of the HTC One is REALLY making me drool....really liking the way it looks...

Though I'm not convinced about Sense. I really like the stock Android experience.....especially the timely updates.

How is the build of the N4? I was under the impression it was supposedly a very well-built device, but I'm reading comments now that suggest the build quality is pretty mediocre.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How is the build of the N4? I was under the impression it was supposedly a very well-built device, but I'm reading comments now that suggest the build quality is pretty mediocre.

I really like it - I do have a small issue on the banding above the volume buttons....I can push on the plastic part and it seems like it isn't adhered and pops back up.....visibly its not even noticable....I can only feel it when I'm locking the phone and my thumb happens to rest there.

Otherwise, I like the all glass feel - even though it may be more fragile....I'm an iPhone user so I'm used to it. The chrome rim is a nice touch and I actually like the plastic/rubbery band around the edge.

All-in-all one of the better built Android devices as far as look and feel go IMO, along with the HTC One X.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Haha - back on topic....

One of my main concerns is with HTC build QA. I have to admit that I have not looked at HTC android phones recently but I did look a lot at the HTC Windows Phone 8X as I was really interested in that one (and the Lumia 920). A fair number of hardware problems, finish issues, faulty screens etc.

One can say the same for the Nokia and the iPhone 5. However, I have an Apple store 10 minutes away and any issues are going to be handled quickly as I can testify to with my iPhone 4.

With HTC and my carrier, Rogers (and other canadian carriers) the phone cannot be returned unless it is within 14 days of purchase or 30 minutes airtime, whichever is less. Then it is yours and it has to be dealt with under warranty which I assume is going to be sending your phone away, having it fixed and getting it back. Let's talk about 1 week without the phone (I will have my iphone as backup, but still.)

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Yeah I thought were had a pretty good exchange of perspectives. Personally, I can appreciate the perspectives of others, and find them interesting. True enough though, I think we did drift off on a tangent lol.

Haha - back on topic....

I really like what I am seeing thus far with the HTC One. They finally did something different with Sense, and came with an entirely different concept. Blinkfeed to me is like a hybrid of Windows Phone and Android. I think it's a very interesting concept, and of course if a person doesn't like it, they can simply disable it. When the GNex came out, I told myself I was sticking to Nexus devices exclusively...but somehow wound up with a GS3 lol. This time around, I think I will still stay with my N4, just because I know I'll be getting KLP early, and I won't want to miss out on that.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have a One X as my second phone (primary is iPhone 5) and its awesome. I am looking forward to this update.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The new HTC One, is a very good looking phone, as was last years One X, the best designed and best looking Android phone of 2012 in my opinion. Really makes me hope Google will choose them to make another Nexus again.

But...HTC's phone are not the best for battery life, and can't replace the battery if needed. Sense is just too bloated, I wish HTC allowed an option to run stock vanilla Android if wanted. And S-Off and true root takes forever on HTC phones, the international One X still doesn't have S-Off yet, and the ATT One X just got S-Off this week, like 8 months after release :rolleyes:

I am afraid that for HTC the One might be very short lived, and overshadowed very quickly by the Galaxy S IV, Nexus-Five, Motorola X and iPhone 5S.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
354601.gif

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
When I first glanced at your post and started reading the Engadget review, I believed your concern was grounded.

However, look at the battery comparison with the Droid DNA (same processor, gpu) 5" 1080P display. The Droid DNA's battery is 2020 mAh as opposed to the 2330 mAh of the Xperia Z. For others who don't wish to plough through the Engadget review, the Xperia Z in the rundown test lasted 5:35 hours and the Droid DNA 6:38.

Transpose this with the HTC One, which is using the Snapdragon 600 chipset and the Krait 300 cores, which is supposed to be more power efficient and that coupled with a larger battery of 2300 mAh (compared to the Droid DNA).

It would *appear* from the above that the HTC One should have reasonably increased battery life compared to the Xperia Z.

Fair assessment. Hopefully that's true.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Just saw a hands-on review of that device. The unibody aluminium design of this new HTC One is what I was hoping a long time ago for the iPhone. The screen size is awesome (as like the SIII) compared to iPhone 5. The OS offers WAY more customisations compared to iOS. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy Apple-user inside the OS X-iOS ecosystem... But in the case of smartphones, Apple is way behind of its competitors, with both the hardware and software. And I'm not referring just to the HTC.

Spec-wise maybe, but that doesn't mean the iPhone 5 is now not capable of doing anything, just because HTC has a bigger screen. And forget quad core processors. Any apps use those extra two processors?

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Lol what a load of crap.....

Oh well. Thanks for giving me faith the Fandroid community is indeed as idiotically blunt as ever....

Im gonna keep this very short, since you seem to have no idea about the real differences between both OS...

Just to give you an example of the stupidity of iOS...

I copy some videos from my Mac to the stock videos app or another video app. Ok.

Then I download some youtube videos using one of the third party youtube apps.

Guess what? I cant watch those downloaded videos on the videos app. Everythime I want to watch those videos I have to open the youtube video app I used to download them.

Same goes if I used a video download app to download a video from the web directly. That sole video will stay inside that app and I cant access it with my favorite video app, where I have stored all my PC videos.

So anytime I have to watch a specific video I have to change apps.

Thats how DUMB your favorite OS is.

Im no fandroid, fanboy or whatever. I had windows and changed to OS X. I had iOS and changed to Android. I have Android and will change whenever something better comes. I dont have a favorite OS, but YOU DO, so WHO'S the fanboy??? Im a tech fan, so I can perfectly see the shortcomings of iOS and Android. You, on the other hand......... You dont even seem to know that BT can be used to send files between different devices and OS's!!!!! So just...

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Im gonna keep this very short, since you seem to have no idea about the real differences between both OS...

Just to give you an example of the stupidity of iOS...

I copy some videos from my Mac to the stock videos app or another video app. Ok.

Then I download some youtube videos using one of the third party youtube apps.

Guess what? I cant watch those downloaded videos on the videos app. Everythime I want to watch those videos I have to open the youtube video app I used to download them.

Same goes if I used a video download app to download a video from the web directly. That sole video will stay inside that app and I cant access it with my favorite video app, where I have stored all my PC videos.

So anytime I have to watch a specific video I have to change apps.

Thats how DUMB your favorite OS is.

Im no fandroid, fanboy or whatever. I had windows and changed to OS X. I had iOS and changed to Android. I have Android and will change whenever something better comes. I dont have a favorite OS, but YOU DO, so WHO'S the fanboy??? Im a tech fan, so I can perfectly see the shortcomings of iOS and Android. You, on the other hand......... You dont even seem to know that BT can be used to send files between different devices and OS's!!!!! So just...

"Android and will change whenever something better comes. I dont have a favorite OS"

You contradicted yourself in the very sentence before you posted 'I dont have a favorite OS' :p

iOS is built with apps in mind rather than any kind of file system. It's not dumb, just different. The idea is that apps manage their own files. Unless you hundreds of different video apps, it's not going to be hard to know which ones have which stored in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.