Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidpaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Just wanted to see if anyone has had success in finding video conversion (specifically .dvdmedia to .m4v or mp4) freeware that does not have a watermark? I have tried a numer of 'free trails' but they have all been about as 'free' as Hester Prynne walking around with a big, red A. I have a couple programs that run conversions great, but that '.dvdmedia' extension is throwing them all for a loop.

Please let me know what y'all have seen and use. Thanks

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Just wanted to see if anyone has had success in finding video conversion (specifically .dvdmedia to .m4v or mp4) freeware that does not have a watermark? I have tried a numer of 'free trails' but they have all been about as 'free' as Hester Prynne walking around with a big, red A. I have a couple programs that run conversions great, but that '.dvdmedia' extension is throwing them all for a loop.

Please let me know what y'all have seen and use. Thanks

Unless I've missed something, .dvdmedia files are just full DVD rips (VTS Folders), right? If that's the case you can just use Handbrake and convert them to iTunes friendly files. Not sure if you have to remove the .dvdmedia extension or if they will load directly as is, but I would try Handbrake.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You're correct, martinm0. .dvdmedia files are just VIDEO_TS folders with an extension tacked on. If you delete the file extension you're left with a normal DVD rip folder.

Either way, Handbrake can handle these conversions (either .dvdvideo or VIDEO_TS) and doesn't cost a dime.

davidpaul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Tried to rip the original DVD with Handbrake but securities on the DVD wouldn't allow it. When I delete the extension it does give me the Video_TS and Audio_TS so I will try doing through Handbrake again.

Thanks

nopw

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Germany
Ok i would say: Use "Permute"

Yes it is shareware, but you can so several conversions as a trial.

After using the trial i personally was utterly convinced, and i use it for any kind of audio / video conversion.
It is just superb.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Most of the time (with VLC) Handbrake will rip and convert.

When Handbreak fails, the RipIt followed by Handbrake

.dvdmedia files are already ripped and Handbreak encoded to .m4v

BluRay rips with MakeMKV, converted withHandbreak to .m4v

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.