Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Did they seriously just say that?

Right, because hackers could NEVER figure out how to make off with data without anyone knowing it.

:rolleyes:

They said "user data". I interpret that as "information about Apple users/customers", not "information from computers of users who are Apple employees". I would expect that no Apple employee can access any user data without that being notified somewhere.

----------

I think they meant Apple has no data left that hasn't already been leaked...

What data do you think has been leaked?

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
The '80s was Japan's big moment. At that time many people were convinced that Japan had figured it all out, but by the early '90s the Japanese economy was falling into a recession from which they never really recovered. I don't see where benevolence has much to do with it. As for the Chinese, it isn't totally clear what they are stealing, or why. Trying to gain control over power grids and oil pipelines may require hacking into corporate systems, but obviously this isn't entirely about industrial espionage, or maybe not at all.

The absolute peak of the Japanese "bubble" was the end of December 1989. The Nikkei was twice was it is now up until 1997. Japan entered a recession in 1992, which it emerged from shortly thereafter. Its equity and asset declines did not begin in earnest until 1997.

I think my "benevolent" comment speaks for itself. Japan's government has a history of despicable acts, but for the most part that history is over (for the time being). The Chinese write a new chapter every day.

----------

And what's the difference between China and the US again?

"Monitor" its citizens? "Names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts" of anyone? US "Patriot" Act anyone?

This thread is soon going to the Political area, I am sure... ;)

This is not a persuasive argument at all.

China does X.
Well USA does Y.

OK, does that not mean that China does X?

Or even better, every country does bad things so every government is the same and no one can criticize any government because we all live in countries with governments.

atomoboy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
An open note to our friends at the NSA

If Chinese hackers want to have fun, fine. I hope they remember that our CIA, NSA and other agencies have got the smartest, meanest and most delightfully perverse computer minds in the world.

NSA, common guys, reduce the internet speed in China to 14.4 kb, make every computer in the People's Republic lock up when they try to play pong... and that's just before noon tomorrow. After that, your on you own to come up with something really fun. :cool:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol

red in the face... That's all i can say...

Apple's own employee should be ashamed of himself. And of all things, what do you know, its Java.... :)

Again... not good for Apple.... although i doubt they would fix it any quicker to being of the front end now its happened to themselves.

Doesn't take much.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
You asked in the other thread. Now, you've gotten your answer. Does that make you happy? :D

The threat is very real, Magnus. Even worse, the threats appear to be state-sponsored and targeted at particular companies. The time has come for all companies to be accountable for the use of Java and Flash on their websites -- and get rid of it. Google: are you listening?

Hey, Apple moved their manufacturing to China so as far as I'm concerned, they got exactly what they deserved. Trust a Commie Red country and you get screwed sooner or later. :D

Did you notice that the hackers got into the web site in question BECAUSE they hacked and replaced the valid apps with fake ones? This is the very argument I've made about trojans that you poo-pooed if I recall correctly.

As for any kind of threat, it's obvious Apple's security that you praise to no end did not work as they got hosed anyway. So much for all your arguments to that end. And it has NOTHING to do with disabling Java for those that ONLY use it (with high security settings) on trusted sites like pogo.com

The only way to avoid ALL threats is to not use a computer (and even then someone can still steal your information off state databases like tax returns (happened in my state already)).

Somebody should tell your professors that applets are an obsolete technology. They don't work on iOS and other handheld devices, and they shouldn't work on PCs and Macs.

That's one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Maybe you shouldn't use gasoline in your car since it's obsolete. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
and Russia, Burma, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Pakistan, Iran, Cuba, Sudan, Syria...

hence the hacking, sleeper spies, buying our debt, etc.

Err Canada,Australia,New Zealand,United Kingdom,France,Germany,Israel,Norway,Japan,South Korea,Turkey,Netherlands(practically whole of E.U) are way more effective allies than those half paralyzed allies of China. And if you count Russia as an ally to China,then count India against it :cool:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I always wondered about that last line. Not saying it isn't true, just wondered.

Are Mac exploits less common due to OSX itself, of just because Windows gets more interest due to its larger market share? And as OSX becomes more popular will it become more of a target and less invunerable?

Are Mac exploits less common due to OSX itself, of just because Windows gets more interest due to its larger market share?

This has been argued to death, but I find it to be irrelevant. I'll take less prone for whatever reason.

And as OSX becomes more popular will it become more of a target and less invunerable?

I've been hearing this was going to happen since I switched to the Mac in 2001. For me, the answer's always been the same: so far, so good.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The absolute peak of the Japanese "bubble" was the end of December 1989. The Nikkei was twice was it is now up until 1997. Japan entered a recession in 1992, which it emerged from shortly thereafter. Its equity and asset declines did not begin in earnest until 1997.

I think my "benevolent" comment speaks for itself. Japan's government has a history of despicable acts, but for the most part that history is over (for the time being). The Chinese write a new chapter every day.

I'm not sure what you are driving at here, but my point would be that the only real basis of comparison between Japan and China is that they are both in Asia. We can only guess at what the Chinese government is trying to accomplish here. Is it spying for geopolitical gains, or espionage for commercial purposes? Perhaps it is some of both, given the unique form of corporate statism they have created in recent years.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Are Mac exploits less common due to OSX itself, of just because Windows gets more interest due to its larger market share?

This has been argued to death, but I find it to be irrelevant. I'll take less prone for whatever reason.

And as OSX becomes more popular will it become more of a target and less invunerable?

I've been hearing this was going to happen since I switched to the Mac in 2001. For me, the answer's always been the same: so far, so good.

Hearing is, is the correct term.... I'm still waiting for this "big bang".

We're all just lucky there no mass-market for mac hackers..... Price is probably due for one thing that keeps them at bay..... We consumers argue price is expensive, but when it comes to hackers, this is probably a good reason, as no hacker is going to spend $$$ just to hack another Mac, unless there must be a real valid reason too... (or the hacker is dumb as a doornail) ..

Either way,,, my proof is, high prices for Macs, less hackers out there. May not sound good, but it works.

The only way i see Macs becoming any more of a target (that is to a extent Windows is) is that if macs become much more affordable on par with Windows, And that will never happen.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
If Chinese hackers want to have fun, fine. I hope they remember that our CIA, NSA and other agencies have got the smartest, meanest and most delightfully perverse computer minds in the world.

NSA, common guys, reduce the internet speed in China to 14.4 kb, make every computer in the People's Republic lock up when they try to play pong... and that's just before noon tomorrow. After that, your on you own to come up with something really fun. :cool:

Wtf, I am sure there are equally as smart computer people around the world and in China. I wouldnt want to mess with the Israelis, they made their own computer programming language when they hacked Iranian systems.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ya, but 14.4 k speeds would cheese anyone off now-a-days..

Make it 9,600 or 2,400. (if they still exist on Earth)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there. None of us can afford to be that smug or complacent. All computers are, to varying degrees, vulnerable to a determined group of hackers. Common sense and vigilance are a good first step.

Attention criminals...due to the high cost and scarcity of ammunition, warning shots will NO LONGER BE OFFERED. Thank you for your understanding.

Your signature line cracked me up. It's the funniest thing I've read all day!

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I often wonder, if China is so advanced to hack so many systems, why would they leave a trail of bread crumbs?

So that everybody knows that they can do it.

----------

My company has already banned all Chinese ips since all they do is try to hack our systems all day.

And you honestly believe that will help you protect your network? Really?

----------

someone should start hacking chinese companies and their employees

What makes you believe that CIA, NSA and Homeland Security have not been doing this since, well, ever?

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
Err Canada,Australia,New Zealand,United Kingdom,France,Germany,Israel,Norway,Japan,South Korea,Turkey,Netherlands(practically whole of E.U) are way more effective allies than those half paralyzed allies of China. And if you count Russia as an ally to China,then count India against it :cool:

I never disputed the claim that we had more powerful allies

I was pointing out that China had more than just NK

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there. None of us can afford to be that smug or complacent. All computers are, to varying degrees, vulnerable to a determined group of hackers. Common sense and vigilance are a good first step.

Your signature line cracked me up. It's the funniest thing I've read all day!

You do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.