Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
Introducing the new Mac Pro
300px-Mac_mini_Intel_Core.jpg

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I couldn't wait any longer. I built a Hac Pro scoring around 15,500+ on GeekBench.

It cost 1/3 the price of a comparable Mac Pro and it's flawless!

So where's a link to the parts list and plans? ;) Until you supply that info it's all just heresay.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Yes, as you said Apple doesn't have any obligation to do anything. They could discontinue all the computers and just focus on iToys but do you know what would happen later? Without the computers and the ecosystem the iToys would eventually die out or at least would not be so successful. The 'halo' effect would be gone also and Apple would be just another phone maker that is trying to survive.

But let me give you my example and I think others have mentioned it also just so you get some idea about the halo effect you keep dismissing. My main workstation is Mac Pro (12core 16gb ram) on the road or for portable needs I have 15" rMBP, then iPhone, iPad and AppleTv and I used to have iPod before i broke it and decided not to replace it as iPhone was better replacement :)
Now, if Apple drops Mac Pro and will force me to go elsewhere to replace my main workstation do you really think I will just do that for one thing? No, if I have to go back to windows then I will go there fully. (licencing issues etc.) so I will probably get either BOXX or HP as those have nice workstations also. I will also have to update my rMBP with something new and it will be PC laptop also. iPhone will get swapped for S3 probably and iPad with Surface as its heading the right direction. So, its all because of one product and that one product happens to be my main machine.
So, you could say that the income from Mac Pro is small and you might be right but in the end it will cost Apple not one product but at least 4 (not including AppleTV and other toys). So if others have similar approach then do you not thing that the 'halo' effect will be there in the long run?
Or maybe not for you but for me I will abandon the iShip and I'm sure I won't be alone. So yeah, Mac Pro is niche market but has got higher value than just the number of Mac Pros out there.

This is why "halo effect" or "I told my friends to get Macs and they respect my opinion because I use a Mac Pro, therefore Apple is dumb if they don't give me what I want" or even "I have a bunch of money to throw at Apple, therefore they should make a Mac Pro" are poor arguments.

gibkibonzo

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
N.A.B. in April most likely...:eek:
Of course that's been the plan for the last 3 years or so.:mad:

I'd rather prefer them to wait until Ivy Bridge Xeons are released later this year, instead of stuffing the upcoming Mac Pros with 2011 Sandy Bridge ones. It will definitely take another couple of years for the next update so I don't mind waiting a few months to get the latest hardware available.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I'd rather prefer them to wait until Ivy Bridge Xeons are released later this year, instead of stuffing the upcoming Mac Pros with 2011 Sandy Bridge ones. It will definitely take another couple of years for the next update so I don't mind waiting a few months to get the latest hardware available.

Yep, at this point Ivy Bridge is the only reasonable update to get so around august again?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The more I read the posts and the more I think about it... the following question weighs heavier and heavier on my mind:

Why didn't Apple give an "obvious" update to the current Mac Pro?

What I mean with "obvious" is simply adding better grfx options (GeForce 680, Radeon 7970), maybe slightly bump de CPU speeds, more RAM and bigger HDD standard, and add a PCIe slot based solution for adding Thunderbolt peripherals (especially for storage).

As the wait for the "2013 Mac Pro" has become so huge and many are really seriously doubting the future of the pro user for Apple, it could have been so easy for Apple to eliminate this negativity towards "Pro", i.e. Apple should have given us the "obvious" Mac Pro update.

Tim stating something great is in the pipeline for the Pro-users is too thin, IMHO.
Actions speak louder than words, and there has been no action, but Apple did have the opportunity.... IMHO.

Last edited:

Dj Lee

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
Apple should release Sandy Bridge based Mac Pro now and then a Ivy Bridge version when they come out. They are the same socket size!!!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So where's a link to the parts list and plans? ;) Until you supply that info it's all just heresay.

Yea it's real tough to get a 15,000 Geekbench :rolleyes:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/user/20986

And how many of those would have the same mess of wires and exposed fan blades inside as a self-built system? Probably most of them I'm guessing.

Why do you think DIY computers have a mess of wires inside? Cable management is of paramount importance when building a computer. It show's you actually care about what you are doing and doing it with some skill.

Attachments

• Geekbench.JPG
    Geekbench.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 86

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK

Sorry! I used the NoFilmSchool guide to building a Hackintosh.

I adapted it slightly, I used a GigaByte NVidia GTX 670 overclocked instead of the 570 they recommend, I didn't opt for the Thunderbolt MOBO and I didn't get a BT dongle.

My specs are:

Corsair Carbide 500R case
Intel Core i7 3770K overclocked to 4.5gHz
GigaByte NVidia GTX 670 OverClocked w/2GB RAM
16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM
Samsung 830 256gb 6GBPS
2TB Video Scratch
2TB Photography Archive
750GB Windows/Linux Drive

OS X 10.8.2
FCPX
FCPStudio 3
Adobe Production Premium CS6

http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/

----------

Yea it's real tough to get a 15,000 Geekbench :rolleyes:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/user/20986

Why do you think DIY computers have a mess of wires inside? Cable management is of paramount importance when building a computer. It show's you actually care about what you are doing and doing it with some skill.

Well considering it's a fraction of the price of a Mac Pro at £1,070, I would consider it impressive. Also, I'm using the 32Bit version, which will always be less than 64Bit.

My cables are also very neatly hidden as the Corsair Carbide series has a recess for cable routing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense to your Mac Pro.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Sorry! I used the NoFilmSchool guide to building a Hackintosh.

I adapted it slightly, I used a GigaByte NVidia GTX 670 overclocked instead of the 570 they recommend, I didn't opt for the Thunderbolt MOBO and I didn't get a BT dongle.

My specs are:

Corsair Carbide 500R case
Intel Core i7 3770K overclocked to 4.5gHz
GigaByte NVidia GTX 670 OverClocked w/2GB RAM
16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM
Samsung 830 256gb 6GBPS
2TB Video Scratch
2TB Photography Archive
750GB Windows/Linux Drive

OS X 10.8.2
FCPX
FCPStudio 3
Adobe Production Premium CS6

http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hackintosh/

----------

Well considering it's a fraction of the price of a Mac Pro at £1,070, I would consider it impressive. Also, I'm using the 32Bit version, which will always be less than 64Bit.

My cables are also very neatly hidden as the Corsair Carbide series has a recess for cable routing.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense to your Mac Pro.

You didn't really look did you? There are no Mac pro's with i7 2700K's

The HMWWV
Asus Sabertooth Z77
i7 2700K 4.7Ghz
32GB of G.Skill Ripjaw Z 1600
Corsair Vengence C70
BeQuiet pure power 680W
MSI 560Ti 448

Last edited:

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Nice!! That will silence any doubters! Which Corsair case are you using? Are you an Overclock.net member?

I have a Corsair 800D. No I am a not a member at Overclcok.net but I am big in the Hacintosh community. Installing Mac on a PC when you purchase the appropriate components such as intel based and a supported GPU you can install Mac in less then a hour and be up and running 100% with no issues.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
And how many of those would have the same mess of wires and exposed fan blades inside as a self-built system? Probably most of them I'm guessing.

These are better and right up with the Mac Pro's for internal looks. http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/systems-2011/murderbox-mk2/murderbox-mk2.htm

why do people that compile their own computers always call them 'rigs'?

It's slang for building it yourself. "Rig em up" "I put a rig together myself"

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Introducing the new Mac Pro

I actually wouldn't mind a compact Pro (bigger than that ol' lunchbox, though). Workstation-class CPU/GPU, lotsa RAM, 8/12 multicore and storage. But I don't think that's what we'll get since a fair chuck of the dwindling Mac Pro demographic "needs" a quadrillion slots for obscure audio/video DSP cards.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I actually wouldn't mind a compact Pro (bigger than that ol' lunchbox, though). Workstation-class CPU/GPU, lotsa RAM, 8/12 multicore and storage. But I don't think that's what we'll get since a fair chuck of the dwindling Mac Pro demographic "needs" a quadrillion slots for obscure audio/video DSP cards.

maybe they'll be modular.. that way, i can start with the base then add my own modules as i see fit.. then i can call it a rig
; )

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK

The smaller you make it the more heat it creates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.