Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhoneDevSDK Details What Led to Apple, Facebook Hacking

In January, a number of Apple employees had their Macs compromised following visits to the popular iPhoneDevSDK forum. Employees from Facebook and likely dozens of other companies were compromised as well. In a blog post today, site owner Ian Sefferman shared some limited details* about what happened and what the site is doing about it.

Most notably, the attack was reportedly ended by the hacker on January 30, 2013, meaning the site believes that there is no ongoing threat.

Quote:
What we've learned is that it appears a single administrator account was compromised. The hackers used this account to modify our theme and inject JavaScript into our site. That JavaScript appears to have used a sophisticated, previously unknown exploit to hack into certain user's computers.

We're still trying to determine the exploit's exact timeline and details, but it appears as though it was ended (by the hacker) on January 30, 2013.

As with Facebook, it's important to stress that we have no reason to believe user data was compromised.
Eric Romang has done some additional detective work on the the attack, laying much of the blame on Java itself. Last month, Apple twice blocked Java 7 from working on users' Macs, perhaps after the company discovered that its own machines had been compromised.

* URL to blog post: http://iphonedevsdk.com/forum/site-news-announcements/111889-iphonedevsdk-compromised-what-happened-and-how-we-are-dealing-with-it.html -- We've avoiding linking it due to the recent hack at that site.

Article Link: iPhoneDevSDK Details What Led to Apple, Facebook Hacking
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Is it Java or Javascript? Those are two entirely different things. Java is a plugin with security holes and can be disabled. Javascript is not Java in any way, shape, or form and is not a plugin. It is now as basic to the web as HTML and CSS. You shouldn't disable Javascript unless you want to break pretty much any modern website.

One of the dumbest things ever done on the web was giving it the name of "Javascript". Why the heck there hasn't been a movement to change the name puzzles me.

Last edited by newagemac; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
newagemac is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

The Java update yesterday was magical and revolutionary.
PinoyAko is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Is it Java or Javascript? Those are two entirely different things.
sounds like js was included in the web page, possibly to load external code.

some additional details here:

http://eromang.zataz.com/2013/02/20/...-informations/
arn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #5
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Is it Java or Javascript? Those are two entirely different things.
Apparently they used a JavaScript exploit to inject Java code. It's all a little unclear at the moment. Hopefully Facebook or (less likely) Apple will post a play-by-play going into exactly what happened at some point.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Sean4000
macrumors member

and THIS is why "noscript" is mandatory on all of my company's computers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:51 PM   #7
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Still scared to start checking iphonedevsdk at work even on a windows machine. =/

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

That happens, if you use browsers with enabled plugins, on sites where you do not need those plugins.

And, i agree: No not use Safari. Use Firefox + NoScript + Adblock Plus.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:59 PM   #9
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Is it Java or Javascript? Those are two entirely different things. Java is a plugin with security holes and can be disabled. Javascript is not Java in any way, shape, or form and is not a plugin. It is now as basic to the web as HTML and CSS. You shouldn't disable Javascript unless you want to break pretty much any modern website.

One of the dumbest things ever done on the web was giving it the name of "Javascript". Why the heck there hasn't been a movement to change the name puzzles me.
The proper name for JavaScript is actually ECMAScript, of which JavaScript is one dialect.

In this case, JavaScript was used at the site to inject malicious code that then used Java (not JavaScript) to compromise the systems.
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:21 PM   #10
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
Apparently they used a JavaScript exploit to inject Java code. It's all a little unclear at the moment. Hopefully Facebook or (less likely) Apple will post a play-by-play going into exactly what happened at some point.
Looking at Arn's link, it appears a Javascript file was used to inject Java code targeting the exploited Java plugin. Javascript itself wasn't exploited. You might as well have said HTML was used to inject Java code which would be correct as well.

But like you said it seems a bit unclear at the moment. In any case, the Java plugin once again appears to be the problem and what is actually being exploited because of its security issues, not Javascript or HTML for that matter.
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #11
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
That happens, if you use browsers with enabled plugins, on sites where you do not need those plugins.

And, i agree: No not use Safari. Use Firefox + NoScript + Adblock Plus.
Well, I use Safari with Java disabled, AdBlock, and Click to Flash. I had been thinking of adding one of the NoScript extensions, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Unfortunately, I got suckered in by a Phishing attempt a few days ago (it's no longer safe to check your email before you're fully awake...) and am wondering what to do about it.
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:36 PM   #12
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

I am actually surprised that it isn't a wordpress site. Last time I helped some folks set up a wordpress blog the comments section was filled with Nike Air Jordan and Dre Beats spam within 3 days.
Vanilla Forum looks kind of neat though. Too bad it seems to have a hole.
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #13
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
It's dead, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaverasgrande View Post
I am actually surprised that it isn't a wordpress site. Last time I helped some folks set up a wordpress blog the comments section was filled with Nike Air Jordan and Dre Beats spam within 3 days.
Wordpress and comments aren't a good combination, that's for sure. You can certainly get good mileage out of WordPress though - but you need to be careful, which is ironic as WordPress seems to be designed for people without web design experience.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:34 PM   #14
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Insecure?

So lots and lots of big giant companies were hacked. It was the fault of some third party.

But all we hear about is that Apple was hacked! Apple has lousy security! Anybody who owns any Apple anything is in SERIOUS DANGER! Run for the hills, but only after destroying all Apple products!

Typical. Apple is just the whipping boy of the mainstream media.

They go into a frenzy and let everybody else have a pass. But not Apple. They act like it is all Apple's fault. They pick on Apple. It is not FAIR! Apple is a scapegoat. Everybody who owns any Apple anything is seen as a lesser person because of this stuff. A complete and total idiot.

I for one am sick of it.

/s

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Well, I use Safari with Java disabled, AdBlock, and Click to Flash. I had been thinking of adding one of the NoScript extensions, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Unfortunately, I got suckered in by a Phishing attempt a few days ago (it's no longer safe to check your email before you're fully awake...) and am wondering what to do about it.
Change all of the affected passwords. Close any credit card accounts that were compromised. If you gave your SS number, there is nothing that can be done about that.
iGrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:40 PM   #15
uncle.zed
macrumors newbie

To be honest I don't see the point in going around web without javascript. usage is like 20%, looks like 10% and safety is like maby +5%...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:42 PM   #16
leman
macrumors 601

Quote:
This is why I always call it ECMAScript
leman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:44 PM   #17
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

Change all of the affected passwords. Close any credit card accounts that were compromised. If you gave your SS number, there is nothing that can be done about that.
And here I was just thinking of diving out the window ...
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:01 PM   #18
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Just use an iPad for browsing. that's what I do anyway.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:13 PM   #19
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
I do, however that's just for news, special interests etc.

Conversely I _work_ in a web based environment & thus have no choice but to stay as educated & aware as possible, practice safe computing, and follow the companies guidelines as close as possible.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Anaemik
macrumors 6502

Edit: ignore
Anaemik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:25 PM   #21
runeapple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
Not always easy especially when coding - it's far easier to copy the code and amend it the way you want it - to typing it all out.

Also downloading isn't possible/easy and various websites don't work properly on iPad.

I do try and browser on my iPad as much as possible but when doing app development work it's far easier on a Mac - and that site is used for development.
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:33 PM   #22
rekoil
macrumors newbie

From my reading, it was an administrator account that was compromised, not the site itself. This points to malware that made it onto an admin's workstation (not necessarily a vulnerability in the website itself), and from there a keylogger (or maybe an ssh key or other stored password file) allowed the intruder admin access to the site. From there, the attacker was able to inject javascript which visiting clients then executed in order to load the exploited Java code via the Java browser plugin.

This is usually how these attacks work - find a small foothold, then iterate from there for wider penetration.
rekoil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #23
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Doesn't matter if everyone else is calling it Javascript. Also doesn't help that the extension browsers recognize is "js" not "es" and the browsers list it as javascript. The masses go to their browser preferences and turn off the Java plugin and see "Javascript" and think they have to turn that off too. Not good.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #24
SeattleMoose
macrumors 65816

After all this java stuff, I went into Safari and disabled Java (not JavaScript) and guess what? Safari is INDEED snappier!!! (no joke...it really is).

And I agree with a previous poster, Apple is the media's favorite whipping boy right now. Wallstreet's lapdog, the media, is being used to manipulate AAPL stock prices via fear and gloom. When they have driven it down low enough...the sharks will buy-up AAPL yet again...run a bunch of positive articles (PUMP)...followed by yet another DUMP when it gets to their target "high" value. Then they'll place puts on AAPL, run more gloom and doom stories, and make money on the way down too. And then you have Einhorn, the hedge fund "humanitarian" who simply wants to raid the APPL cash pile for his elite clients. It has already been proven that AAPL stock volatility was tied directly to hedge fund manipulation. Expect more...unfortunately. Wallstreet is just a steaming pile.
SeattleMoose is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:38 PM   #25
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
So lots and lots of big giant companies were hacked. It was the fault of some third party.

But all we hear about is that Apple was hacked! Apple has lousy security! Anybody who owns any Apple anything is in SERIOUS DANGER! Run for the hills, but only after destroying all Apple products!

Typical. Apple is just the whipping boy of the mainstream media.

They go into a frenzy and let everybody else have a pass. But not Apple. They act like it is all Apple's fault. They pick on Apple. It is not FAIR! Apple is a scapegoat. Everybody who owns any Apple anything is seen as a lesser person because of this stuff. A complete and total idiot.

I for one am sick of it.

/s

----------

If he gave his SS, he will want to lock(freeze) all this credit reports.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Sounds like it was JavaScript first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion