Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I can't make my mind up if I should buy a note 2 or wait for the s4 to come out.
Does anyone no how long Samsung waits to release a phone after they announce it?
Thx

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just wait till mid March and you'll be able to decide based on fact and not random strangers opinions...

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
With March being right around the corner, you may as well wait unless you absolutely need a phone right now.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Another question is do you care about the S pen or not? If you want one you may want to get a note 2 now and then save for the note 3 at the end of the year.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I'm questioning the exact same thing and I've got an iPhone 4 (not 5). But it's only a month away now, so I'm gonna wait and see.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The s pen is a stylus right?
I would like that convince of it.
Theres a rumor the s4 will have one but its a rumor so who knows.

Yeah it is the stylus. I don't think it will have one b.c that is really what separates the two products.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have the Note 2, and really like it. Had it almost a month now, running CM10.1 Nightly. I don't use the S-Pen as much as I thought I would. I think mainly because I never had a stylus phone before, I just forget it's there, and my brain not accustomed to using apps for it.

But the battery life is AMAZING on this phone, and large screen great for reading news sites, watching videos, doing e-mail, etc...The Note 2 really is a fantastic device.

But I will say @ 5.5" is borderline too large almost. Is difficult one hand texting, which I do a lot, and reaching for the notification bar at the top, requires super stretching of the fingers. But my old phone, and Wife's phone are the Galaxy Nexus and One X respectively, both @ 4.7" screen size, and they feel very tiny and way too small to me now. But the Note 2's 5.5" screen is almost too large, I get frustrated using it quickly just to send a little text or e-mail reply, so I think a size right in the middle around 5" would be the absolute perfect size. And the Galaxy S IV will be that size.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Is there any rumors about Note 3?

Will be released late Summer / early Fall. Follow the same design as the new Galaxy S IV, but with slightly updated hardware. Supposedly an even larger screen than the N2.

If you are in the market for a new phone soon, I'd at least wait to see what Samsung reveals in mid March, regarding the S IV, see if you like that or not, if not, then get the N2. Because the N3 is a good six months out.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
But I will say @ 5.5" is borderline too large almost. Is difficult one hand texting, which I do a lot, and reaching for the notification bar at the top, requires super stretching of the fingers. But my old phone, and Wife's phone are the Galaxy Nexus and One X respectively, both @ 4.7" screen size, and they feel very tiny and way too small to me now. But the Note 2's 5.5" screen is almost too large, I get frustrated using it quickly just to send a little text or e-mail reply, so I think a size right in the middle around 5" would be the absolute perfect size. And the Galaxy S IV will be that size.
Very helpful. I'm glad you mentioned it, I've wondered about this.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
Will be released late Summer / early Fall. Follow the same design as the new Galaxy S IV, but with slightly updated hardware. Supposedly an even larger screen than the N2.

If you are in the market for a new phone soon, I'd at least wait to see what Samsung reveals in mid March, regarding the S IV, see if you like that or not, if not, then get the N2. Because the N3 is a good six months out.

If they reveal it in march will they release it then to?
Is that how it normally works with Samsung

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

Not really in the market just wants Note.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
If they reveal it in march will they release it then to?
Is that how it normally works with Samsung

Samsung will officially show off the new Galaxy S IV on March 14th I think. But unfortunately all Android phones never go on sale immediately after the big showcase. It's typically a month to six weeks later it's in stores.

I think Europe will get it first, I heard late April / early May, and the U.S in late May / early June.

I do like how Apple shows off a brand new iPhone, literally a week later you can go to the store and buy it.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Samsung will officially show off the new Galaxy S IV on March 14th I think. But unfortunately all Android phones never go on sale immediately after the big showcase. It's typically a month to six weeks later it's in stores.

I think Europe will get it first, I heard late April / early May, and the U.S in late May / early June.

I do like how Apple shows off a brand new iPhone, literally a week later you can go to the store and buy it.

Latest I heard is announcement on March 14th. After that it will be available in the stores in late March (whether that is true or not remains to be seen).

Regarding Apple, yeah they have it available for purchase within 1-2 weeks, but only for selectable countries. Still takes several months before you can buy an iPhone in many other countries.

The rumors says it will have a 1080p 4.99'' screen. So it will get even bigger compared to before, almost as big as the Note 2. I suggest waiting to the S4 before buying a Note 2.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The rumors says it will have a 1080p 4.99'' screen. So it will get even bigger compared to before, almost as big as the Note 2. I suggest waiting to the S4 before buying a Note 2.

You know 0.5 inch makes a lot of different in screen area. I think the S4 will only be marginally bigger than S3. Note2 will still be substantially bigger than S4.

OP, if Note2 is too big for you then wait for S4. Otherwise if you want a big screen then dont wait and get the Note2 now.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You know 0.5 inch makes a lot of different in screen area. I think the S4 will only be marginally bigger than S3. Note2 will still be substantially bigger than S4.

OP, if Note2 is too big for you then wait for S4. Otherwise if you want a big screen then dont wait and get the Note2 now.

true but at close to 5 inches the S4 will be pretty damn big too..I would wait to see what else the S4 adds as there will be some other feature that they will bring out i reckon.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
true but at close to 5 inches the S4 will be pretty damn big too..I would wait to see what else the S4 adds as there will be some other feature that they will bring out i reckon.

no doubt the s4 will be a beast, but I think the note goes after a different type of customer. You will see a lot more s4's sold, but damn the stylus is so good haha.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
no doubt the s4 will be a beast, but I think the note goes after a different type of customer. You will see a lot more s4's sold, but damn the stylus is so good haha.

Yeah I agree, the note at 5.5 is too big for a phone for me personally..the size of the S4 will be about right for me. but like you I love the idea of the S pen which is why i'm buying the note 8.0 tablet. All i've ever had is iphones and ipads so it will be a change but the features on galaxy has really won me over and the overall screen size and widgets are a big plus. Now I can watch shows and films too I can buy SD cards to find space for them is perfect to me..

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah I agree, the note at 5.5 is too big for a phone for me personally..the size of the S4 will be about right for me. but like you I love the idea of the S pen which is why i'm buying the note 8.0 tablet. All i've ever had is iphones and ipads so it will be a change but the features on galaxy has really won me over and the overall screen size and widgets are a big plus. Now I can watch shows and films too I can buy SD cards to find space for them is perfect to me..

I never have been the type to watch movies/shows on my phone, but I do watch a lot of things on youtube. Being able to watch a youtube video while doing other things is a really nice option to have. Plus I have always preferred writing things by hand to typing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.