Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I am looking to align two different sets of text in the same line so that they come out straight. Here's a pic of what I'm trying to do. As you can see, there's two sets of text, but if I just type it, it doesn't come out in a straight line.

How would I align the "what's up" statements on the right side of the page considering the text to the left is aligned to the left side of the page?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 5.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 5.38.25 PM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 3,594

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I'd probably use a table with a new row for each line of text and two columns, one for the other text and one for "what's up".

Alternatively, you could probably just tab instead of using spaces.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I'd probably use a table with a new row for each line of text and two columns, one for the other text and one for "what's up".

Alternatively, you could probably just tab instead of using spaces.

Pressing tab ruins the left-aligned text because it indents the bullets I have even more.

And a chart would not look good for this document. I received this document through email and it came with text separated left and right as shown, but the text to the right was separated from the text to the left, meaning you couldn't even put the cursor between the two. I'm guessing there's an option somewhere that I don't know about...the person who sent it to me was using Microsoft Word, and I'm using Pages, but I'm assuming there's an option in Pages to simply align different pieces of text that are on the same line.

EDIT: I got the tab to work on non-bulleted text, but there seems to be an issue with the bulleted text. For the bulleted text, it does a "list level".

ShinyDren

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Ambitoysterous, USA
Holding down the Option key while pressing the Tab key should give you a regular tab inside of bullet lists.

You then can use multiple tabs (with option key) to line things up.

-OR-

You could then also create a new Tab Stop for the lines needed by clicking on the ruler and then dragging the new triangle to where you want it. Once you have the tab stop created you can change it from the normal left tab to a right/center/decimal tab by control-clicking on it (or use the Inspector).

Leslie2877

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
You can try to use the "text indent" function. You can find this by going to inspector, text, lists, then it should have bullets and numbering there. You may select "no lists" from the drop down menu, but you should see "text indent" to the right of that. Highlight the text you want to indent in block form and then go back to the text indent and click the up arrow until your desired indent is achieved. This also works wonderfully for aligning bullets and text (like if you were typing up an exam or something like that). When you select bullets, another option "number indent" will appear, which will allow you to align your bullets as well. If your text is not set to zero, click the down arrow until it gets to zero and then click the up arrow so that everything you want aligned is .25, .50, etc. Also, I found that with numbered bullets, when you start getting into the double digits, like "10" and so forth, it helps to text indent to .30 and that way everything under that will align. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.