Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2126
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Messi's new Adidas 'Smart' boots can track speed, distance & more, as well as transmit the data wirelessly

But can they do it on a wet and windy night in Stoke?

Brilliant!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2127
twietee
macrumors 68040

Nothing new, really. Anyone remember the micropacer from the 80s? They even re-invented the lacing-system.... Tru Blade Runners! Hadn't had them myself though.

BTW What do you people on here think about the HawkEye, which was confirmed for Brazil 2014?? Presentation gave a nice opportunity for mentioning GER - ENG 2010 again. Was this a big story on The Island back then?

Last edited by twietee; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
twietee is offline   1
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2128
daneoni
macrumors G4

Utd's David Gill has stepped down.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2129
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC47 View Post
mmm 5 points clear and a game in hand doesn't seem like very much all of a sudden.
Last game of the season – Hull City vs Cardiff City at the KC.

Title decider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Edit: just to be honest here: I improved my limited soccer skills vastly by wearing a nice pair of soccer shoes. minimum 100%. giving great confidence and adding a bit of flair onto the pitch too.
i have a little thingy goin' on with my shoes though.
I've worked out that my five-a-side failings are 100% down to my boots. The problem with them is that they have my feet in them.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #2130
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

I think goal line technology is something that is probably inevitable. It will be interesting to see just how its introduction affects the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
Last game of the season – Hull City vs Cardiff City at the KC.

Title decider.
Hull City could be the nail in the coffin...

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Lord Blackadder is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:16 PM   #2131
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Utd's David Gill has stepped down.
At least he isn't PO to Chelsea, and The Equalizer is stepping up - he'll sort Levy.

twietee and Fizzoid - thanks for the boots.

Cheers,
OW
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2132
daneoni
macrumors G4

Milan do a professional italian job on Barca at the San Siro. Incredible team performance. Portsmouth 2 - 0 Barcelona

And they expose Barca's weakness...over reliance on Messi. Hope Wenger/Arsenal are taking notes, thats how you play at the top level. With hunger, discipline and fight.

I'm actually starting to think Barca and Real have no chance now. It'll be either Dortmund, Bayern or a bogey team like Milan.

Last edited by daneoni; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
daneoni is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2133
twietee
macrumors 68040

^ Milan is giving Barca actually always a tough time - last 4-5 matches at least. Don't ask me why, though. Hope it pays off for Milan this time in the end.
twietee is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2134
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I'm actually starting to think Barca and Real have no chance now. It'll be either Dortmund, Bayern or a bogey team like Milan.
I have no interest in seeing Berlusconi's Milan going any farther in the CL. But Barcelona are going to have a lot of work to do in the second leg of they want to progress.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:36 PM   #2135
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
I have no interest in seeing Berlusconi's Milan going any farther in the CL. But Barcelona are going to have a lot of work to do in the second leg of they want to progress.
Agree about Milan and Berlusconi (who made an unholy comeback and is all over the news. dat zombie!), but they're doing it consistently right against The Best Team of the World you have to admit that.

What about United? They have good chances imho..a bit under-rated 'cause they're not playing utterly convincing, but they're winning and winning and winning...maybe it'll be worth a bet? What are the odds Jaffa?

oh, I forgot: They have Baoteng. Giving huge credit for that.
twietee is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2136
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
Me neither. I'm secretly rooting for Dortmund but it'll probably end up being Bayern.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2137
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
You'd like to think that Cardiff are setting up for their traditional post-Christmas slump. They've left it a little later than usual this season but we'll see.
They are playing Wolves this Sunday.

I'm sorry but Cardiff's slump will have to be postponed until next week.
OllyW is offline   1
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2138
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Looks like we're set to see a second straight year where a team parks the bus at Barca and knocks them out with a purely defensive display. It would be nice to see Dortmund in the final, but I reckon it's going to be something much, much more predictable, probably involving Man Utd and Bayern.

USA midfielder Jermaine Jones scored an equalizer for Schalke to make it a 1-1 draw with Galatasaray. Schalke is probably pretty pleased with that result.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:54 PM   #2139
daneoni
macrumors G4

^
Can't be helped. Inter/Chelsea drew up the blueprints on how to deal with Barca. The rest of the world are simply now following suit.

Last edited by daneoni; Feb 21, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
daneoni is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2140
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
What about United? They have good chances imho..a bit under-rated 'cause they're not playing utterly convincing, but they're winning and winning and winning...maybe it'll be worth a bet? What are the odds Jaffa?
17/2. Bayern are currently the favourites with Mr Bookmaker.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2141
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Think AC Milan did what Barcelona do; organised hunting in numbers. Good to see the ref deal with the Barcelona BS.

Last edited by oscillatewildly; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
oscillatewildly is offline   1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:42 AM   #2142
lapeno
macrumors 6502

A deserved win for milan.

The tie is far from over though.
lapeno is online now   1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:19 AM   #2143
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzoid View Post
#money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillatewildly View Post
Fancy Dan boots.

yer both right and... sadly i am guilty of the fancy boots charge...

Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2144
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Think AC Milan did what Barcelona do; organised hunting in numbers. Good to see the ref deal with the Barcelona BS.
Barca were also without their manager, which was a factor. The tie was close enough that tactical adjustments could have altered things. Credit to Milan for not showing Barca too much respect. The tie is far from over but I have a bad feeling about Barcelona's chances.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2145
twietee
macrumors 68040

I dunno why, but I feel like it's the best time to put money on the Catalans..if only I'd bet...
twietee is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:22 PM   #2146
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeno View Post
A deserved win for milan.

The tie is far from over though.
+ Lord Blackadder,

It'll be interesting to see how Barcelona react if AC Milan score, especially if it is the first goal - same goes for Sturridgeless Liverpool v ZSP.

Cheers,
OW
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2147
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
+ Lord Blackadder,

It'll be interesting to see how Barcelona react if AC Milan score, especially if it is the first goal - same goes for Sturridgeless Liverpool v ZSP.

Cheers,
OW
Those Barca shirts are eye-searingly horrible by the way. I can't stand them.

It will be interesting to see if AC Milan go into the game with some aggression and press Barca, or if they try to Inter/Chelsea their way through it by sitting back, harry them and rely on Barca being toothless again.

The pitch should be faster, so that might make Milan's job harder. But realistically, Barca need to score three goals to win this tie and -crucially- not concede any. Despite Barca's exceptional passing game I wonder if their defense will stand firm enough.

As for Liverpool, I don't really care. It's definitely a tie we can turn around and it will all hinge on whether we finish the chances we create. But I will not be the slightest bit surprised if we go out after a meek 1-1 draw or some such.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2148
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

They've spoilt your 1-1.

Edit - not quite; at least they gave it a go, didn't roll over.

Last edited by oscillatewildly; Feb 21, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Full time
oscillatewildly is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2149
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Going out on away goals just sucks. A better performance from Liverpool this time but it's fairly meaningless. Frankly that 1-1 draw would have been less annoying because I wouldn't have had any hope.

The only real highlight has been Suarez. He has upped his game this season and more or less stayed out of trouble. Despite his profligacy in front of goal he still scores often and is amazingly skilled player.

Finishing fourth in the league is out of the question, but fifth is still possible though it will be a real dogfight. I'd like to see that, not because it's a Europa League place but because it demonstrates real improvement over the course of the season. A challenge for a CL spot next season is a real possibility if the squad continues this improvement..
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2150
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

First off I know it's nowhere like the same class but Ajax was eliminated last night by Steaua Boekarest 2-2 regular time 4-2 on penalties. They also held a two goal league, Barcelona are not out of it, it will be very difficult but not impossible. It should also be a fantastic game to watch.

Quote:

Happybunny, the incident you brought up here is showing results here in Germany; yesterday a 26yo received a lifelong ban after cursing, hitting and finally kicking (!) a ref into the back. I have no English article about it but think they even mentionend the incident in the Netherlands as one factor for the hard-line.
Seems I spoke to soon earlier when I said that there had been an improvement in the amateur game here. Last Sunday in the Fourth Class Amateurs a referee was mishandled first by supporters then by the players. Last night the KNVB reacted the whole team is banned the club (ZTS Zaandam) just ceases to exist. Today the bailiffs have moved it to remove the offices and training facilities which are on council property. The police have already started criminal proceedings.

Last edited by Happybunny; Feb 22, 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Happybunny is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion