Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Actually i didnt say that. That was your quote that i forgot to quote but jus deleted altogether after i noticed it. I wont pay their prices. I can get them cheaper and the only reason ill buy them.
Look, they are an American company and i want them to do well but imo they stick it us with their prices while having them made in the same places the other guys do.

Agree we are getting nowhere but i just cant agree with some of the things you say that ive stated. And you must have gigantic hands to use that Mini one handed. Most people claim they cant use a 4.8" phone one handed though i can. But not the mini, not even close for me. I dont use the N7 one handed either.

No no no - there's a difference between HOLDING it with one hand and USING it with one hand.

I can HOLD both the mini and the N7 with one hand. I use two hands when USING.....Apple never said the mini can be USED with one hand - only that it can be held that way.....and it can.

Sorry I missed the quote as my own - I recognized some other places where that happened but missed that one.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No no no - there's a difference between HOLDING it with one hand and USING it with one hand.

I can HOLD both the mini and the N7 with one hand. I use two hands when USING.....Apple never said the mini can be USED with one hand - only that it can be held that way.....and it can.

Sorry I missed the quote as my own - I recognized some other places where that happened but missed that one.

Ah, yes you can hold it with one hand. I thought you meant you can use it one handed and i believe that is what Apple said as well. If not, no big deal. I do like both devices and i have extensive experience with Android while you really dont it seems and why i like to use the N7 more. But i do like the Mini as well.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Ah, yes you can hold it with one hand. I thought you meant you can use it one handed and i believe that is what Apple said as well. If not, no big deal. I do like both devices and i have extensive experience with Android while you really dont it seems and why i like to use the N7 more. But i do like the Mini as well.

You are correct - I had an N7 for all of two months before selling it because the apps didn't work for me (essentially the apps were the same ones I could get on my iPhone and my iPad specific apps were more compelling), and I have had my N4 for about a month now - really really liking it.

I like both platforms and plan (so long as I have two phone lines) to utilize both. While my preference may be for iOS, it doesn't mean I can't like and/or appreciate the other side.

And I try not to get too hung up on advertisements - I know I CAN hold the mini with one hand but most definitely CANT use it with one hand - even if they say its a possibility, so why should it matter? All companies do this in their marketing.....Samsung shows S-Beam working within seconds in their commercials....haven't heard an instance where it worked that quickly. Heck, there's even a tiny disclaimer that says it. Exaggeration is part of the marketing game.... and I try my hardest not to play.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You are correct - I had an N7 for all of two months before selling it because the apps didn't work for me (essentially the apps were the same ones I could get on my iPhone and my iPad specific apps were more compelling), and I have had my N4 for about a month now - really really liking it.

I like both platforms and plan (so long as I have two phone lines) to utilize both. While my preference may be for iOS, it doesn't mean I can't like and/or appreciate the other side.

And I try not to get too hung up on advertisements - I know I CAN hold the mini with one hand but most definitely CANT use it with one hand - even if they say its a possibility, so why should it matter? All companies do this in their marketing.....Samsung shows S-Beam working within seconds in their commercials....haven't heard an instance where it worked that quickly. Heck, there's even a tiny disclaimer that says it. Exaggeration is part of the marketing game.... and I try my hardest not to play.

Actually it does work like that. What they dont show you is you have to bring up on your screen what you want to transfer and then touch the screen while holding it to the other device. Once you do that the transfer is very fast. Much faster than if you had to download it.

The one recieving it doesnt have to do anything but put their phone up to the other one.

Now S Beam is a Samsung thing. If your buddy has a Samsung and you want to transfer something to or from your N4, he would have to turn S Beam off because the other phones or Tabs dont have S Beam and just use the Android capability of NFC and once S Beam is turned off, it will work with your N4. But S Beam works between Samsung devices and must be turned on for both.

Just a lil tidbit

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Actually it does work like that. What they dont show you is you have to bring up on your screen what you want to transfer and then touch the screen while holding it to the other device. Once you do that the transfer is very fast. Much faster than if you had to download it.

The one recieving it doesnt have to do anything but put their phone up to the other one.

Now S Beam is a Samsung thing. If your buddy has a Samsung and you want to transfer something to or from your N4, he would have to turn S Beam off because the other phones or Tabs dont have S Beam and just use the Android capability of NFC and once S Beam is turned off, it will work with your N4. But S Beam works between Samsung devices and must be turned on for both.

Just a lil tidbit

I think you are wrong about that. It is actually called beam and it was introduced on the Galaxy nexus last year. The nexus 4 also has the technology so it will work. Yes the galaxy devices do have a Samsung thing called s beam, but that is just Samsung adding an S to something google already had.

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2809822

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I think you are wrong about that. It is actually called beam and it was introduced on the Galaxy nexus last year. The nexus 4 also has the technology so it will work. Yes the galaxy devices do have a Samsung thing called s beam, but that is just Samsung adding an S to something google already had.

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2809822

No, actually you are wrong and he is right. S Beam is not just Samsung "adding an S to something google already had." S Beam and Android Beam are not the same thing.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
No, actually you are wrong and he is right. S Beam is not just Samsung "adding an S to something google already had." S Beam and Android Beam are not the same thing.

Yes the 2 are different in the way they send data, but Samsung did take the technology google put on the galaxy nexus and used it to make S beam. I understand they don't work together, but google made android beam first and Samsung took and made s beam. So yes they took what google had and added an S because theirs runs through wifi which is faster, but want work if you don't have wifi.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Yes the 2 are different in the way they send data, but Samsung did take the technology google put on the galaxy nexus and used it to make S beam. I understand they don't work together, but google made android beam first and Samsung took and made s beam. So yes they took what google had and added an S because theirs runs through wifi which is faster, but want work if you don't have wifi.

You're wrong yet again. S Beam has nothing to do with you having to have wifi. It uses wifi direct to create an ad-hoc connection between two devices.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
You're wrong yet again. S Beam has nothing to do with you having to have wifi. It uses wifi direct to create an ad-hoc connection between two devices.

Ok. Well again I am right about Samsung taking a technology that google came up with and just adding something to it. So I was right the first time in saying it is something that Samsung took and put an S on it and then add their favor to it.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Ok. Well again I am right about Samsung taking a technology that google came up with and just adding something to it. So I was right the first time in saying it is something that Samsung took and put an S on it and then add their favor to it.

Sorry... you weren't right about anything. You started out speaking as if they were the same thing.. It's obvious you aren't knowledgeable regarding this, so kindly refrain from speaking on it as you make yourself look rather silly. :eek:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Sorry... you weren't right about anything. You started out speaking as if they were the same thing.. It's obvious you aren't knowledgeable regarding this, so kindly refrain from speaking on it as you make yourself look rather silly. :eek:

No what I said was that Samsung took there idea no you are the one looking silly. Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe if you knew something about android, or maybe if you ever owned a true google nexus device then you would know.

Last edited by a moderator:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
No what I said was that Samsung took there idea no you are the one looking silly. Sorry you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe if you knew something about android, or maybe if you ever owned a true google nexus device then you would know.
Coming from the guy who thought you needed to be connected to a wifi network to use S Beam.. ok :rolleyes: You've got a lot to learn, unfortunately I haven't a lot of time to teach, so have a nice day.
BTW, I have had every Nexus phone... ;)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Coming from the guy who thought you needed to be connected to a wifi network to use S Beam.. ok :rolleyes: You've got a lot to learn, unfortunately I haven't a lot of time to teach, so have a nice day.
BTW, I have had every Nexus phone... ;)

Also if you if you knew anything about google and nexus devices then you would have know that google came up with android bean, and that Samsung's S beam is the same idea with wifi direct.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Correct, and i have to turn S Beam off on my GS3 to use NFC with my Nexus 7.

----------

You dont need to have wi-fi for it to work.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Correct, and i have to turn S Beam off on my GS3 to NFC with it and my Nexus 7.

----------

You dont need to have wi-fi for it to work.

I think I wrote it all wrong. Samsung's S beam was taken from android beam, but they don't work together which is is stupidest thing I have ever seen. It was a technology that was taken from google why do they always have to do there own thing.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think I wrote it all wrong. Samsung's S beam was taken from android beam, but they don't work together which is is stupidest thing I have ever seen. It was a technology that was taken from google why do they always have to do there own thing.

Dont know. Im not sure of the benefit of having their own thing because you have to go into settings to turn it on and off.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Dont know. Im not sure of the benefit of having their own thing because you have to go into settings to turn it on and off.

Yea I know. It is just like them putting their own skins on the phone what the heck for. It just messing things up. Google knows what they are doing why not let me do their thing.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Actually, I wish Google would adopt Samsung's method as it is more efficient. Sending large files over bluetooth is painfully slow, whereas using wifi direct, it is blazing fast.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Actually, I wish Google would adopt Samsung's method as it is more efficient. Sending large files over bluetooth is painfully slow, whereas using wifi direct, it is blazing fast.

You are right about that. Transfered videos over 2 hours long in under 5 minutes. 13 minutes vids in about 10 seconds....sometimes 15 seconds, lol.

----------

Yea I know. It is just like them putting their own skins on the phone what the heck for. It just messing things up. Google knows what they are doing why not let me do their thing.

Touchwiz overall i do like. I dont use their launcher because i dont really care for it but i do like the other things about it.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Samsung didn't steal anything from google as wifi direct,s beam,android bean what ever you want to call it are part of the os.

wifi direct came in with ics android 4.0 along with android beam and using Bluetooth and nfc for transfers.

the technology is up for grabs for any maker to use

igentleman lets see a picture of your nexus 4 with this thread loaded on it

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Samsung didn't steal anything from google as wifi direct,s beam,android bean what ever you want to call it are part of the os.

wifi direct came in with ics android 4.0 along with android beam and using Bluetooth and nfc for transfers.

Yes it is up for grabs, but they had to go and tweak it so that it would not work with android beam. There is not reason for that.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

..and I would go through that trouble why?

----------

Yes it is up for grabs, but they had to go and tweak it so that it would not work with android beam. There is not reason for that.

The reason is because it works much better. Wifi direct is light years faster than bluetooth. A small video can take 10-15 minutes to send via bluetooth, while over wifi direct, it literally takes seconds.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

It's not that troublesome. You can set S-beam toggle in the notification panel (or widget) to turn this on/off. Once you turn on S-beam it will turn on NFC if it isnt on.

I agree with you Samsung should'nt make proprietary version of app. It should make S-beam a superset of android beam and make it compatible with others

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
..and I would go through that trouble why?

----------

The reason is because it works much better. Wifi direct is light years faster than bluetooth. A small video can take 10-15 minutes to send via bluetooth, while over wifi direct, it literally takes seconds.

I just have a problem with all these companies doing their own things with android, and a lot of the time they mess up what android was all about. I will agree that s beam is faster, but why did they now you have a feature that only works with Samsung phones. All the skins that are in android stupid. I know it is googles fault for letting these companies to this, but I guess it works out cause they do have more market share than IOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.