Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
LeicaM8
macrumors member

Question Home Sharing Library taking forever to load

Hello,
We're finally starting to use Home Sharing via wi-fi for the GF & I to access our content and while it's eventually streaming just fine, I do wonder:
Is it Normal for the Video App to take a long time to load the HomeSharing Library?

It's taking between 5 and 15 minutes to load and appears to get worse with each addition to our Video Library in iTunes. I'm accessing via an iPad3, she's on an iPad2, and the Library is on a MacPro running ML connected to the router via ethernet cable. Only traffic on the router is her and I's iPads.
Thx in Advance,
Richard in Michigan
LeicaM8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

I've noticed this as well with iOS 6 and I only have 25 movies and 155 TV shows in my current library. Sometimes it loads semi-fast while other times it's incredibly slow. I don't remember it being this slow with iOS 5.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
LeicaM8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I've noticed this as well with iOS 6 and I only have 25 movies and 155 TV shows in my current library. Sometimes it loads semi-fast while other times it's incredibly slow. I don't remember it being this slow with iOS 5.
I really do wonder what the issue is though.
I've just started using it, but it is 'just' annoying enough to make me NOT want to use Home Sharing in spite of how appealing I find it to be.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
Maybe it's a feature Apple and/or content providers want to whither and die so folks use streaming video to sell ads, subscriptions, or run up Data Usage Charges!
Sigh
R. in Mi.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaM8 View Post
I really do wonder what the issue is though.
I've just started using it, but it is 'just' annoying enough to make me NOT want to use Home Sharing in spite of how appealing I find it to be.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
Maybe it's a feature Apple and/or content providers want to whither and die so folks use streaming video to sell ads, subscriptions, or run up Data Usage Charges!
Sigh
R. in Mi.
Not at all. Since Home Sharing requires you to be on the same network as your iTunes library, you can't access it from a cellular connection. On top of that, Home Sharing is for content you already own, so subscriptions and ads don't play a part here.

I think it's just one of those things that got messed up with iOS 6 and I'd assume a fix is on the way. It's not like it's completely broken, it does still work.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
LeicaM8
macrumors member

Thx for the encouraging thoughts that Homesharing will eventually work well, someday, maybe soooooon!
I think it really is the perfect thing for my GF and/or myself to easily access our content via our iPads. We have a vidbox on the TV, but not via wi-fi so network traffic is minimized. Old Fashioned Sneaker Net with Big USB HDs.
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Not at all. Since Home Sharing requires you to be on the same network as your iTunes library, you can't access it from a cellular connection. On top of that, Home Sharing is for content you already own, so subscriptions and ads don't play a part here.

I think it's just one of those things that got messed up with iOS 6 and I'd assume a fix is on the way. It's not like it's completely broken, it does still work.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:20 AM   #6
bobright
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaM8 View Post
Thx for the encouraging thoughts that Homesharing will eventually work well, someday, maybe soooooon!
I think it really is the perfect thing for my GF and/or myself to easily access our content via our iPads. We have a vidbox on the TV, but not via wi-fi so network traffic is minimized. Old Fashioned Sneaker Net with Big USB HDs.
Richard
Any luck with getting it to work since the OP? I'm in the same boat very frustrating.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting