Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:41 PM   #26
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post

Helluva lot more useful than having them decide who I can marry, what drugs I can take, and what I'm allowed to say on the radio.
Hippie!
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:42 PM   #27
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Well, the point is that if it gets to 100,000 signatures, the government under its own rules will have to respond…
I thought it was 25,000.
sazivad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 PM   #28
Mark Booth
macrumors 65816

I'm signature 88,656!

Mark
Mark Booth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Myiphone7
Banned

It's total BULL. Let's all sign this thing and see what they have to say about it.

The truth is AT&T got lobbyist who get paid millions over their career to tell the government what to do that best benefits AT&T the most.

And we thought they did what benefited the people the most.
Myiphone7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:48 PM   #30
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Seriously it's just a phone. Doesn't the US government have better things to worry about?
Seriously it's just two guys wanting the government to recognize their marriage. Doesn't the government have better things to worry about? Like poverty, world hunger, genocides, etc.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
I thought it was 25,000.
It used to be, not it's 100 since the forum to petition got so popular.

----------

Everyone should sign this though. If only to get your iPhone unlocked for free as stated above. This is a big deal and could end up saving you thousands if you travel overseas.
saud0488 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:49 PM   #31
bryan85
macrumors regular

signed
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:49 PM   #32
rjtyork
macrumors member

I don't even care

I'll unlock my phone and do whatever I want with it. I paid for it, it's in my pocket. If they want to look through my phone and try to slap me with some stupid fine for unlocking my phone, I'll make them wish they never violated my 4th amendment right. Big Government and corporations can suck it. "if a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey, he is obligated to do so". Thomas Jefferson would be all for this law to be broken. If we let them get away with this, they'll push even further and take a whole mile. I wish more Americans would draw the line in the sand and put their foot down. Maybe then we wouldn't see such a rapid grab for our liberties. Oh, well. Eventually everyone will be mad enough to care. Until then, I'll campaign for Ron Paul 2016!
rjtyork is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:52 PM   #33
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishake View Post
There's also this if you wanna unlock your phone for free after you sign the petition:

http://www.signunlockpetition.com/

The code's SWIFTUNLOCKS
Does it really give you a free unlock?
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:52 PM   #34
Cinematic
macrumors newbie

Signed it

easy to do

and amusing the read the 200+ other petitions, too
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #35
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Official White House Response:

No.

B.O
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:54 PM   #36
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

These are a complete joke. The Obama administration only replies to these when it's politically convenient to do so. How many finished ones are just laying around?
macsrcool1234 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:54 PM   #37
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
Does it really give you a free unlock?
Yup....but they're only 2 bucks anyways
saud0488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:54 PM   #38
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

America (also most western countries) is not a country it is a Business
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:05 PM   #39
chairguru22
macrumors 6502a

Don't really care for unlocking...
chairguru22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:10 PM   #40
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
I'll never understand America and its 'freedom'
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ― Benjamin Franklin.

This was a quote that interested me when the Patriot act was passed. However it works with all aspects of pseudo freedom.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #41
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
Govt cares about the Corporation. they do not care about people!. what is new?
I disagree. Individuals care only for themselves, and that includes politicians. (Probably especially politicians.) Therefore, individuals in government will do what they think, in the long run, will maximize their benefit. Sometimes this means catering to corporations and their contributions, but other times it means pandering to individual voters to ensure re-election and the resulting continuing stream of income and influence.
Undecided is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:12 PM   #42
baryon
macrumors 68030

This is exactly why I don't have a smartphone and won't have one anytime soon. I spend half of my year in one country and the other half in another. Am I meant to buy two phones, and pay for two contracts simultaneously? Something is seriously wrong with how this works.

If you have to force people to use your carrier by making it illegal to use other carriers, you are clearly a bad carrier to begin with.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:13 PM   #43
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairguru22 View Post
Don't really care for unlocking...
Don't confuse Unlocking (so your phone will run on any cellular service you want just by changing the SIM card) with Jailbreaking (to allow you to install any software you want from any source you want). I support the former. Phones should never be locked. A locked phone is like buying a car and being forced to buy your tires and gas from the dealer. I have no interest in the latter. To me buying only from the iOS App Store is like buying pasteurized milk, it just makes things safer.
Daalseth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:16 PM   #44
Consultant
macrumors G5

After we fulfill our contract, carriers should be required to unlock the phone.
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:18 PM   #45
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk007 View Post
I don't get why need it to be illegal. They could just make the contract exit so expensive that it isn't worth it. You gradually pay off the phone and if you exit in the first few month you pay extra or hand the hardware back.

It is done already they don't need to criminalize anything. In any case I doubt the ban would deter anyone anyway. In some european contracts it is said to be illegal and nobody cares. If it is possible, people end up doing it.
My understanding is that it's not about exiting your contract but, rather, being able to pop in a SIM from another carrier (even if you still have to maintain your original contract). Like, when traveling overseas for 2 weeks, I'd like to put in a local SIM. Carriers in the US make incrementally more money by forcing you to "roam" and incur additional charges. Do they rely upon those charges in the aggregate? I don't know. I suppose it's calculable and so what if having an unlocked phone (but still having a contract) resulting in a small up front charge, like $25?

Bottom line, when buying a phone, the price options should not be locked vs. unlocked but subsidized vs. unsubsidized, but that might mean carriers have to charge a little more to make up for the lost revenue from roamers.
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:23 PM   #46
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
This is exactly why I don't have a smartphone and won't have one anytime soon.
I (career IT geek, technomage, and gadget freak) don't have one either. Just a simple, cheap dumb phone on pay as you go. Here in Canada you have a choice of three major carriers that collude on price and own the CRTC. Your phone is locked. I even asked a dealer if I could bring in my own unlocked phone and get on their month by month service. He said yes but the phone would have to be locked to their carrier network. Not only that, they were going to charge me for locking my phone. He gave me some fake techno double speak about how the phone had to be locked to their data service for it to work. I told him where to shove it and left.

Smart phones are a great technology that will only last until the carriers screw it up.
Daalseth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:30 PM   #47
Weerez935
macrumors regular

They certainly "speak softly and carry a big stick"
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:31 PM   #48
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daalseth View Post
Don't confuse Unlocking (so your phone will run on any cellular service you want just by changing the SIM card) with Jailbreaking (to allow you to install any software you want from any source you want). I support the former. Phones should never be locked. A locked phone is like buying a car and being forced to buy your tires and gas from the dealer. I have no interest in the latter. To me buying only from the iOS App Store is like buying pasteurized milk, it just makes things safer.
No. A locked phone is like buying a car from a dealer for 1/3 of the cost you expected, with a requirement that you buy their tire and gas. You got the upfront savings by buying the subsidized phone. The long term contract and locked up feature of the phone you bought is part of the deal.

The problem is that is basically a pretty bad deal for consumers. So Congress really shouldn't be making things easier for cell phone companies and they shouldn't be making a law making unlocking illegal. However, you have to acknowledge that at least initially when you get that cheap subsidized phone, that you owe something to cell phone company for that.
TallManNY is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:33 PM   #49
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Well, the point is that if it gets to 100,000 signatures, the government under its own rules will have to respond. Now, whether they'll actually say anything in their response is another matter.

But they did come out firmly against building a Death Star, so there's that.
Aren't we still waiting to see if they will declare WBC (Westboro Baptist Church) as a hate group? That got many more signatures than what was required.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:37 PM   #50
pirateyarrr
macrumors member

89,700 and change already. I'm proud to be a part of this one.

Sign it!!!
pirateyarrr is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion