Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I've been following this issue for about six months, on various forums, especially since having got a rMBP 13 myself, three months ago. From what I can surmise, the 15" had the initial screen problems; and there have been no hardware problems with the 13" displays (perhaps only a software hiccup while they improve the graphics drivers in 10.8.3).

Thanks, I have had two 13" I had the late 2012 $1999 i5 and returned it to get the early 2013 2.6 i5, haven't had issues with either.

J3ffry

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Samsung screen, 1 week old, 3rd replacement machine.

First replacement: Samsung, no backlightbleeding, yellow area lower left bottom.
Second: LG screen, good screen, though wanted to be safe in the future. After long doubting decided to spin the bottle one more time.

Current screen: Perfect except one spot of lightbleeding at the right side of the screen (barely noticeable on picture though).

Also I went through three screen replacements on the rMBP I initially bought. All samsungs, all of them had backlightbleeding in some form, and two of them had yellow zones.

Conclusion:
only 1 of the 5 screens was perfect in terms of backlight bleeding.
3 of 5 had uneven yellow tinting.

Samsungs tech is superior, but the production consistency sucks.
Lg are screens are all the same but the IPS thingy gives every screen ghosting, and there's a light filter being used that gives all screens green/red glow at the corners (when viewing fullscreen black).

Praise yourself lucky if you got a samsung with minimal yellowing and backlightbleeding and don't push it. This coming from someone who has clinical OCD. The chances you got one (samsung screen) which is absolutely perfect in terms of backlightbleeding, dead pixels and yellowing is just really small.

Greets

Attachments

• foto 1-1.JPG
    foto 1-1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 441
  • foto 2.JPG
    foto 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
  • foto 3.JPG
    foto 3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 170
  • foto 4-1.JPG
    foto 4-1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:

AlexeyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Samsung screen, 1 week old, 3rd replacement machine.

First replacement: Samsung, no backlightbleeding, yellow area lower left bottom.
Second: LG screen, good screen, though wanted to be safe in the future. After long doubting decided to spin the bottle one more time.

Current screen: Perfect except one spot of lightbleeding at the right side of the screen (barely noticeable on picture though).

Also I went through three screen replacements on the rMBP I initially bought. All samsungs, all of them had backlightbleeding in some form, and two of them had yellow zones.

Conclusion:
only 1 of the 5 screens was perfect in terms of backlight bleeding.
3 of 5 had uneven yellow tinting.

Samsungs tech is superior, but the production consistency sucks.
Lg are screens are all the same but the IPS thingy gives every screen ghosting, and there's a light filter being used that gives all screens green/red glow at the corners (when viewing fullscreen black).

Praise yourself lucky if you got a samsung with minimal yellowing and backlightbleeding and don't push it. This coming from someone who has clinical OCD. The chances you got one (samsung screen) which is absolutely perfect in terms of backlightbleeding, dead pixels and yellowing is just really small.

Greets

Congratulations! You have a same "yellow" effect as me=))

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I've had 1 LG screen and 2 Samsungs. It's the exact same MacBook Pro but it's just had it's displays switched each time.

I got the LG replaced because it had really bad IR. They replaced it with a Samsung so I thought I was good to go, but unfortunately it had a yellow tint towards the lower half of the screen. It irked me but everyone around me either said I was being too nit-picky or that they couldn't see any problem with it. This made me doubt myself and in the end I thought that I was being too OCD, and that it was just my eyes. The display got worse and it eventually developed a mura (white spot) on the left side of the screen. In a way that was a good thing because it gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get this defective screen seen to.

This week, I took my MacBook Pro to the genius bar. I rationally explained that my main issue was the yellow tint but the Genius couldn't see it. Despite this, he was determined to replace the display for me because of the mura that had appeared just days before my appointment.

Today I picked the laptop up from the store again, and this replacement display is a Samsung which also has the dreaded yellow tint issue. At this point I'm frustrated because I notice this fault every time I use the laptop.

I feel like I'm stuck with it, too. The genius would not have replaced my last yellow tinted screen if not for the mura, and this one has no other defect other than the yellow tint.

Here is a photo of the MacBook's current display. Although I know photos don't offer a good representation, you can see that the finder window in the bottom corner is more yellow than the one in the top corner (especially noticeable when looking at the side bar.)

IMG_1877.jpg

I'm unsure where to go from here. I could take it in again but I'm afraid they won't see the issue, and begin to think I'm just wasting time. On the other side of the coin I could just put up with it (again) and grow increasingly dissatisfied every time I use it.

Last edited:

AlexeyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
I've had 1 LG screen and 2 Samsungs. It's the exact same MacBook Pro but it's just had it's displays switched each time.

I got the LG replaced because it had really bad IR. They replaced it with a Samsung so I thought I was good to go, but unfortunately it had a yellow tint towards the lower half of the screen. It irked me but everyone around me either said I was being too nit-picky or that they couldn't see any problem with it. This made me doubt myself and in the end I thought that I was being too OCD, and that it was just my eyes. The display got worse and it eventually developed a mura (white spot) on the left side of the screen. In a way that was a good thing because it gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get this defective screen seen to.

This week, I took my MacBook Pro to the genius bar. I rationally explained that my main issue was the yellow tint but the Genius couldn't see it. Despite this, he was determined to replace the display for me because of the mura that had appeared just days before my appointment.

Today I picked the laptop up from the store again, and this replacement display is a Samsung which also has the dreaded yellow tint issue. At this point I'm frustrated because I notice this fault every time I use the laptop.

I feel like I'm stuck with it, too. The genius would not have replaced my last yellow tinted screen if not for the mura, and this one has no other defect other than the yellow tint.

Here is a photo of the MacBook's current display. Although I know photos don't offer a good representation, you can see that the finder window in the bottom corner is more yellow than the one in the top corner (especially noticeable when looking at the side bar.)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa260/biscuit-the-great/IMG_1877.jpg

I'm unsure where to go from here. I could take it in again but I'm afraid they won't see the issue, and begin to think I'm just wasting time. On the other side of the coin I could just put up with it (again) and grow increasingly dissatisfied every time I use it.

you have a brand new rmbp 2013 (2.4) or 2012?

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Some photos by different view angles...
]

This is the image I used to do my test (although I could see it before running such a test.) It's better because both finder windows are the same colour, normally one would be grayscale because it's the inactive window.

ScreenShot2013-02-20at220549.png

Unfortunately photobucket has downscaled it a lot but you should still be able to full screen it and see a potential colour shift.

AlexeyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
This is the image I used to do my test (although I could see it before running such a test.) It's better because both finder windows are the same colour, normally one would be grayscale because it's the inactive window.

ScreenShot2013-02-20at220549.png

Unfortunately photobucket has downscaled it a lot but you should still be able to full screen it and see a potential colour shift.

the yellow is still yellow=((....
IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

AlexeyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah I can definitely see it. I have used this test image on my iMac and both the finder windows are the same colour, which is how it's supposed to be as far as I'm concerned.

Seems like we're in the same boat then. :/

can you upload photo of iMac?

AlexeyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
OK

This is what the image looks like on the iMac:

IMG_1878.jpg

Compare that to how the image appears on the rMBP:

IMG_1877.jpg

On this one, when you compare the finder sidebars in particular you can see the colour shift.

yes...retina is terrible, imac is almost perfect except for the pink color at the left side!

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
yes...retina is terrible, imac is almost perfect except for the pink color at the left side!

Indeed. I am disappointed, and now considering what the next step should be. I don't know wether to take it in again, last time I was scared they weren't going to notice anything and send me on my way, but the mura tipped the scales.

I'm also considering selling it and purchasing a cMBP instead, but I don't think that's the right thing to do considering I believe the screen is faulty and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with it.

Sometimes I feel that you have to choose between either having IR, or yellow tint. But that's been disproven by the many satisfied members who I have seen posting.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I've had my rMBP for three months now. The screen is spectacular. I've noticed no issues, and I tend to be hypercritical about displays. But then, I haven't gone looking for trouble.

It's an LG unit. I'm happy about that too due to distaste for Samsung's slimy business practices.

J3ffry

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Alexy your screen looks the same as mine on the photo's and i've had 5 samsung screens and this one's best regarding yellowing. Believe me when i say the lower half of the screen is yellower at ALL samsung screens. The thing you should check is symmetry and the color difference being not to much. If the yellowing bothers you the only option is to try for an lg, which unfortunately is more prone to image persistence.

Last edited:

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Is anyone referring to the screens color using a 2013 model? Or is this yellowing being seen on the 2012 model only?

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Alexy your screen looks the same is mine on the photo's and i've had 5 samsung screens and this one's best regarding yellowing. Believe me when i say the lower half of the screen is yellower at ALL samsung screens. The thing you should check is symmetry and the color difference being not to much. If the yellowing bothers you the only option is to try for an lg, which unfortunately is more prone to image resistence.

I'm using mine at the moment and trying to ignore the issue with little success, though I don't know wether mine is within an acceptable difference to the general user.

J3ffry

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
You guys should know this all is also pretty psychological. Because I know the samsung screen I got now has the least yellowing (or more evenly spread) of all previous screens i'm pretty happy with it now. But because Alexy doesn't have any comparison material he's afraid his Mac is faulty. And my screen which I consider to be perfect in uniformity is absolutely the same.

My current screen has backlighbleeding at one spot, and that spot is seperating this screen from being absolutely perfect. So it annoys me everytime i'm able to spot it.
But being honest all of the screens (except one) where worser.
Conclusion: because we paid a lot for this machine and "babying" it we want it to be perfect. But i guess reality is that you just have to settle because otherwise you wind up as one of those who goes through 20 replacements.

**** this "perfect" MacBook Pro thing, take your loss, use it like you originally intended to, drink some beers and hang with friends.

Last edited:

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland

IMG_1877.jpg

same story here, had LG, replaced due to bad IR, then I got Samsung, it's all right but has a yellow tint coming from the mid bottom towards the centre, plus a bit of light bleed from bottom right ednge of the screen.

I went to genius and they tried to see it, buc couldn't.......I tried to explain, they showed it to few more genuses at store and no one could see it so I gave up.

in my current setup, retina is a secondary display to my 24" monitor so I can't be bothered, I know that even after another replacement, I would get yelow tint possible somwhere else on the new screen, no point doing anything, just enjoying macbook :)

AlexeyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
So you tell it's ok? All if rmbp have same issue? Becouse i thinkin about to change my rmbp or get the money back, but if the are all with little yellow tint, a do not see the compromise...

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
I guess you would have to do many exchanges to get a perfect screen.

We are the first generation retina adopters and we have to pay the price for it :)

My advice is just to stop getting paranoid about it.

If you are really upset in terms of screen quality - go and exchange it.

J3ffry

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.