Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Hi!
My son is going to be studying in the Miami area, and I'll like to get him a car.
He has a "full" Argentinian (our country) car driver license, but he's 17.

Do you guys know how the system works?

Can I get it under my name and then authorize him ?

What about the insurance?

Thank you!

Fede.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Hi!
My son is going to be studying in the Miami area, and I'll like to get him a car.

Thank you!

Fede.

He can probably get a driver's license here as well. The minimum age is typically 16, so that's not an issue. I don't know how you would get a license under your name and then "authorize" him - it doesn't work that way here.

I don't think there would be a problem with him owning the car, but he will need his own insurance, in all probability.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Hi!

Thank you!

Fede.
That will work as long as he always bring his passport with him while driving.
He can apply for Miami Drivers license as long as his Argentinian Driver's license is still valid.

His insurance will be costly though because he holds a non-US drivers license.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

Being a teenager will more likely factor into the cost of insurance than being a foreigner. Be ready to pay through the nose for insurance. Guys don't get a break on auto insurance until he's 25... with a clean record.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Being a teenager will more likely factor into the cost of insurance than being a foreigner. Be ready to pay through the nose for insurance. Guys don't get a break on auto insurance until he's 25... with a clean record.

Ahh thay make sense. That is possible.

Anyway, I am a foreigner living here in the States. One of the reason that my agent said to me why my insurance is so high because of my driver license. Lo and behold, when I got my US license in about 2 months, my insurance was discounted with about 100 bucks a year.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
He can probably get a driver's license here as well. The minimum age is typically 16, so that's not an issue. I don't know how you would get a license under your name and then "authorize" him - it doesn't work that way here.

I don't think there would be a problem with him owning the car, but he will need his own insurance, in all probability.

I'm sorry, I didn't express my doubt properly.

I assumed that his license would work. What I meant with "Authorize" him, was to drive my car (because I thought he, as a 17-year-old, cannot "own" a car).

In Argentina, I would make a special "authorization" (It is a small plastic card) that says that XXXX can drive my car.

That will work as long as he always bring his passport with him while driving.
He can apply for Miami Drivers license as long as his Argentinian Driver's license is still valid.

His Argentinian Driver's license is valid and will not expire until the end of the year (december) (when he turns 18, he must renew it in Argentina).

Is it possible to "buy" the car under his 17-year-old name?

What If I buy it for me (under my name), can't my son drive my car?

Ahh thay make sense. That is possible.

Anyway, I am a foreigner living here in the States. One of the reason that my agent said to me why my insurance is so high because of my driver license. Lo and behold, when I got my US license in about 2 months, my insurance was discounted with about 100 bucks a year.

Where are you from and how much are you paying?

Thank you very much!!!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If you're son is under 18, I don't think he can buy a car or get insurance on his own. Even if the car is paid outright in cash and not financed, I think purchasing a car and insurance is considered a legal contract, which, you have to be 18 to enter.

If you buy the car, you register it to your name, you pay the taxes, etc, he can drive the car (assuming he's on your insurance plan) but I'm not sure if there's a way to get him insurance on the car without you also being insured on it.

But, it wouldn't hurt to call the Florida DMV and some insurance companies and see what they suggest, I'm sure you're not the first person to be in this predicament. Maybe there's special exemptions for foreign students under 18.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If I'm reading it correctly, you need an Argentinian license and a international driving permit to drive in Florida. You will probably have to call the Florida DMV and insurance companies to find out what needs to happen.

I'm not sure what school your son is attending, but quick googling brought this and it might be helpful.

http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_life/student_services/isss/obtaining_a_drivers_license/

If possible, I'd suggest to avoid getting a car if possible. It will be really expensive, and is a hassle in general. The whole process is, although still expensive, much easier if he is 18 (i believe)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.