Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I had a jail broken 3GS years ago
Cydia sucked then
It was slow
The theme stupid board software made my iphone reboot all the time
It took my iPhone literally 20 minutes to boot
The mutitasker was crap and slow
Most of the themes were crap and looked like crap
And I had to pay for bite SMS and other good apps with no guarantee they would work in the future

But people were getting the warm and fuzzy because they were jailbroken

It's a mental thing. Lots of tech enthusiasts use crappy software on purpose as self punishment. Used to do it myself

Spoken like

someone who hasn't used a jailbroken iPhone before. People aren't idiots, there's obviously something about the jailbreak that makes it worth dealing with the hassle.

Cydia is fantastic and so are the apps contained within it. But enjoy staying ignorant, I guess. It's hilarious how it bothers you so much what other people do with THEIR phone.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
They are still trying to patch the jail break which is why they didn't fix the lock screen bug. Gives then an excuse to keep testing and trying to find the exploit

Wrathwielder

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
I guess you missed my post few posts above yours?

----------

Is it not better to have one folder called Games and have all your games inside that folder? It's thing like this that Apple forces upon us that makes us want to jailbreak.

I agree! That's one of the main reason I JB - that and the REDICULOUS lack of a DELETE ALL option in the email app. Apparently Apple must think it would "confuse us" simple-minded users to have the option of clearing out our INBOX in one fell swoop - so instead we get the awesome privilege of tapping on every stupid email. I get to do this about 400 times a week - priceless!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
989.5MB to update through iTunes on an iPhone 5. Really? Lol.

You don't use OTA update? Lol. :D

----------

Plugged into a power supply? My iPad wouldn't do the 6.1 update without being plugged in.

Your iPad wouldn't do the 6.1 update without being plugged in because it had less than 50% of battery left. I did the OTA update on my iPad without plugging in because it was fully charged.

discuit

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
I had a jail broken 3GS years ago
Cydia sucked then
It was slow

I don't know if you're trying to write haiku or something with those line breaks. But maybe you should understand that perhaps newer iphones are faster and more stable because of more RAM? I haven't had a single jailbreak-related crash in about a year of having a jailbroken 4S.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It also fixed the App Store's "Too many HTTP redirections" bug that I experienced.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is apple not att
well it's Apple and the carriers...hard to say who might have a bigger part in that.

----------

It also fixed the App Store's "Too many HTTP redirections" bug that I experienced.
that could have simply been an App Store back end/server update of some sort given that that's what it mostly is--a back end type of service with an app that simply connects to it.

fudge18

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
waste of time

Utterly, utterly useless. Still got no exchange email on my iphone 4s even after the update.

Wasted tonnes of hours looking at solutions and berating our IT team before I learnt of this issue with Macrumours, it really should have been communicated better.

Really getting pissed off with it now, either give up any pretension of the iphone being used for business or get it fixed you Cupertino quiche eating hippies.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
well it's Apple and the carriers...hard to say who might have a bigger part in that.

----------

that could have simply been an App Store back end/server update of some sort given that that's what it mostly is--a back end type of service with an app that simply connects to it.

I also suspect that was a server side issue, but the symptom is weird - My family has 4-5 iPhones and several iPads and none of them has this problem. It only happened on the "Top Chart" tab on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1, and I couldn't figure out what triggered this error after trying many solutions that people suggested on forums. Anyway I'm glad that I could view the App Store again on my iPhone!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Any word on if it still works with the evasi0n jailbreak?

This update doesn't close the holes the evasi0n folks use - so yes, it still works. The evasi0n update was simply a matter of updating the code so it recognized that 6.1.2 existed and was still jailbreakable (after they tested a bunch of devices, of course).

What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.:confused:

The code for that smiley you've got at the end is "confused" - it's a perfect match for your post. :D

I don't know if you're trying to write haiku or something with those line breaks. But maybe you should understand that perhaps newer iphones are faster and more stable because of more RAM? I haven't had a single jailbreak-related crash in about a year of having a jailbroken 4S.

I'm using a jailbroken 3GS, and haven't seen any jailbreak-related crashes at all. The phone is somewhat slow... but it's no slower jailbroken than it is running stock iOS. :p Actually while it's not snappy like my iPad Mini, the 3GS runs well and normally I don't have any delays to complain about - so here's a haiku:

iPhone 3GS
you've seen better days, but still
keep running (damn you!).

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
After installing the update yesterday my iPhone crashed while turning off the alarm clock this morning - anybody else?

Paulio

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.:confused:

I've just added nearly everything I can think of to my iPhone to make it optimised for my use. I can download files of any size over my paid for cellular data (including torrents, which is a great feature that is on Android) and integrate them into my apps, unlock my device with a more secure swipe maneuver negating a timely and annoying PIN entry, change music with volume buttons so when I'm using my amp through the dock connection I can blindly change music or just do so without any annoying on screen prompts, I even changed my feed for the default weather app that gives me more accuracy for my local area ... you know I could go on and on but I know you don't care to hear me.

I enjoy being able to fix tiny issues I have with the things I pay good money to use. Like setting up my PC, setting up a jailbroken device takes a lot of time and I'm not interested in upgrading to 6.1.2 (which is really barely worth upgrading to even if you're running stock iOS 6.1) in order to run that ordeal again (though you can back up everything done with cydia anyway).
iOS is secure, and as Apple updates it every time an exploit is found it minimises any risk when using it, even if it is an older version. Especially now with the vast majority of users on the latest OS.
And just for the sake of mentioning this; iOS 7 is going to have to be pretty bloody amazing for me to consider upgrading as there is nearly no possibility of it having what I desire my mobile to do.
I have just as much difficulty in pondering why you would use your phone for so long whilst not being able to tweak it in order to actually make it a more powerful computing device. The other option is waiting for Apple to upgrade it so it slowly turns into something it could have been right now and forever more.

Mostly, I would hope, people leave beating there chests to gorillas, and I realise this may be somewhat hypocritical (The only reason I have even bothered replying is because of the anonymity of forum posting and my desire to kill some time and your declared confusion, which I'm sure you share with others), but that's truly not what jailbreaking is about at all. At least for me, and many others. I have at times felt like an idiot for even having an iDevice as the majority of users just want the status of the apple because to them it means nothing but brand identity. I like Apple because they make great products, and if I can tweak them to be more optimised for my own personal use, I will.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
is it just me or did iOS 6.x seem to have more bug fixes in 6 months than any other version of iOS before it?

I am not sure this release is not going to cause other issues, even though my company is demanding we put it on our phones, problem is, I am in a JB state and will not install it until I am sure it is 100% stable and not going to cause some other issues.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK

Not running Auxo, eh? I like my jailbreak but it does crash...

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Turn off memory clean, turn off SnagIt, turn off Keycard
that actually worked this time and updated the software/firmware...

Update on the device itself? And perhaps deleting junk like memory clean might help. Also, why have SnagIt running all the time, what's wrong with Apple's Grab?

I've just added nearly everything I can think of to my iPhone to make it optimised for my use. I can download files of any size over my paid for cellular data (including torrents, which is a great feature that is on Android)

Torrents on your phone? Thanks for the laugh! You carry a car battery around in your backpack to power your phone all day too? :rolleyes:

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
- Not sure if its coincidence, but my iTunes -> Purchased -> Music appears almost instantly versus taking 1-3 minutes to display.

- Local weather appears faster to find my location.

- Safari definitely seems faster.

- Safari pops up an icon on the top asking me to download Google Search. Never did this before.

Those are the only things I've noticed so far with my iPhone 5

- Location in the weather app and other apps in general seems to be more effiecient

- Safari actually does seem to have improvements

- I have Google Search already installed but this has always done this on sites with apps in the App Store. Could this be triggered by Javascript being enabled or pop up ad blocking being disabled?

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
is it just me or did iOS 6.x seem to have more bug fixes in 6 months than any other version of iOS before it?

I am not sure this release is not going to cause other issues, even though my company is demanding we put it on our phones, problem is, I am in a JB state and will not install it until I am sure it is 100% stable and not going to cause some other issues.

I agree with you. It seems like apple is slipping lately, either they are too busy working on something else or they just dont care about it...

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
...I have at times felt like an idiot for even having an iDevice as the majority of users just want the status of the apple because to them it means nothing but brand identity. I like Apple because they make great products, and if I can tweak them to be more optimised for my own personal use, I will.

Just to offer another point of view: I get great satisfaction from my (not jailbroken) iPhone5 because of how very much it can do, and how well it does so much. Almost every day, certainly every week, I discover new functionality, new apps, new ways to use existing apps--in short, new ways to do more, better--that extend the power the iPhone gives me. I've got nothing against those who jailbreak. But I don't think they should sell short the capacity of the phone (pocket computer, really, of course) as it comes in the box. It's a remarkable product.

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
And what if same thing happens again in one, two months!?
By the way, my garanty period is over in January!

That is such a BIG BUG that APPLE just IGNORE, like they want from us to buy new iPhone 5 better then fixing problem with iPhone 4S!

Bad for you! Ours (my wife's) was from August and was replaced by brand new one....

----------

That came up for me too I just clicked later and then when I checked in iTunes and settings it said it was up to date. Probably another glitch with iTunes.

Am still in the "Infinite Loop" - love the address, hate the reality of it. Still at 6.1.1 and iPhone wants to update. Will return it this weekend. Shouldn't be like this....

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I've been JB'ing since the first release, however I noticed with the recent JB my iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 2 and 4 were running terribly slow. This is only with the JB and nothing "third party" Cydia wise installed. I also removed "Netatalk" (a Cydia app I liked to use for AFP access) from my iPad's as a test and it still shows up in Finder on the WiFi network. I performed a clean restore of my iPhone's and noticed my battery life was improved immensely and the WiFi was no longer dismally slow.

I checked background processes when JB'en and nothing appeared to the naked eye, which leads me to suspect there is something else going on.

iPhone 5 running just as fast, with better battery life than before I JB it here. 9 1/2 hours of pretty hard usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.