Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:42 PM   #1
alsec
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
What chair do you use?

I hope I'm in the right thread for this post. If not, sorry and let me know!

So I'm in the market for a new computer chair. I'm looking for something that will allow me to sit for hours as I work at home. Show me what you use?!

Thanks!
alsec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:13 AM   #2
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsec View Post
I hope I'm in the right thread for this post. If not, sorry and let me know!

So I'm in the market for a new computer chair. I'm looking for something that will allow me to sit for hours as I work at home. Show me what you use?!

Thanks!
This : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

You also should get a foot rest - 3M make a good one. What desk do you have ? Is it the right height ?
__________________
2014 13in MBA, 2014 i7 Mini, 2011 13in MBA, iPad2, iPhone5, iPhone4S.
Sonos System, NTV550s, ReadyNASs.
drsox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:16 AM   #3
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000
 
JesterJJZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Got one of these recently. Cheap and surprisingly awesome.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Torre...product_923571
__________________
jesterpictures.com theoryiseverything.com jarek.com
Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it
MacPro 12core, 64GB, GTX680, 30" ACD, 23" ACD -- 15" MBP 2.6 i7, Anti-Glare, 16GB, 240GB SSD + 1TB
JesterJJZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:20 AM   #4
entropi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
an all black Kinnarps 6244 N34



info
entropi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:48 AM   #5
shinji
macrumors 6502a
 
shinji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I'm using an Aeron with the posturefit lumbar support. If you buy one, make sure to sit in it in a store and pick the right size for you (A,B, or C). There are guidelines based on your height etc., but the wrong size will either not give you enough support or make the part right behind your knee fall asleep, unless you remove the little cushion in the front of the seat underneath it. Still better to get the right size to start with.

With the correct size it is a fantastic chair for working very long periods of time sitting at your computer. And I second the footrest recommendation.
shinji is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
dmax35
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Already a thread covering this topic.. >>> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1229159
__________________
(2) 3.5 GHz New Mac Pro 6 Core - (3) Macbook Pro's- iPad Air x 3,i,ATV3. Beech King Air 350,P645+ Phase One IQ280, Nikon D800E, .
dmax35 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:30 AM   #7
utekineir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
loved my aeron while it was good, but dissapointed on its longevity

but after about 3-4 years the mesh on the back and seat ripped down through the middle, from only home use, no office environment.

not exactly obesely huge either 6'3", 250.
utekineir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:48 PM   #8
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Steelcase Leap. Expensive... but industrial strength. I use one in the corporate office, and then bought two for our home office.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
ChumpyD
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
The Heckman Executive Leather chair..

http://www.hekman.com/ProductDisplay...&top_category=

Very comfortable
ChumpyD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:50 AM   #10
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
A $99 Staples Chair. It's comfortable, and comes with a 5 year warranty.

__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 46" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, Asus ChromeBox, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:54 AM   #11
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Herman Miller Aeron
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:00 PM   #12
dma550
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Humanscale freedom. Can find them on ebay for $400 used, amazing chair, I own two.
dma550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:09 PM   #13
forza69
macrumors 6502a
 
forza69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15.4" Retina Display running OS X Mavericks 10.9 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB & iPad Air Silver 32GB both running iOS 7.0.3
forza69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:18 PM   #14
SamPhoto
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I found an absolutely PERFECT Herman Miller Aeron chair in a consignment store a few years ago. Cost me $125 and it's the best chair I've ever owned, plus it has the lumbar attachment. It might be hard to cough up enough money to buy a new one, but if something happened to this one I just might. It doesn't get any better than this.
SamPhoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.
I agree. I personally think spending $600 on an office chair is a waste of money. At least for me it is. BTW I just got that Staples chair to replace a broken $100 Costco chair I bought in 2007. I took the chair back to Costco and I got full credit for it. Sounds unbelievable doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003_zps887d9f51.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	965.1 KB
ID:	398500  
__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 46" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, Asus ChromeBox, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's

Last edited by Mr. McMac; Feb 20, 2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added photo
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:29 AM   #16
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
A Serta office chair my wife and I got at Office Max. It was about $100 and it's comfortable.

We've had it about a year and it's held up good so far. It has a massaging thing built in that works well if you like that sort of thing (my kids use it all the time when they are sitting in it, I never use it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23016077i_01.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	398540  
__________________
2011 27" iMac i5 2011 13" MacBook Pro i5 2010 macMini C2D Server 2005 12" PowerBook G4 1.5
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:38 AM   #17
hkim1983
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I just took a chair from my kitchen table and use that...
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:51 PM   #18
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.
How can you justify spending only $99 on a chair? Is your health and well-being really not worth much to you?

"Excessive" is highly subjective (as are "comfortable" and countless other words). Use what works for you but don't assume that your preferences and situation are universal no matter what the topic. There are plenty that find your Apple products excessive.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:59 PM   #19
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
At work, Aeron, employer bought.

At home, Ive done away with PC and desk. iPad only, and a small tucked away media server. Couch, leather arm chair, bed, etc.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
loved my aeron while it was good, but dissapointed on its longevity

but after about 3-4 years the mesh on the back and seat ripped down through the middle, from only home use, no office environment.

not exactly obesely huge either 6'3", 250.
Wooow, freak occurance.

We have hundreds in our office, that have been here longer than me, 7 years. And are fine.
__________________
iPhone 5 \ iPad Air \ Mac mini i5/Radeon
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:30 PM   #20
tangfj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
herman miller aeron
+1
tangfj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:42 PM   #21
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000
 
jetjaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
Got one of these recently. Cheap and surprisingly awesome.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Torre...product_923571
just picked one of these up .. going to set it up later today .. my current staples chair lasted 7 years .. eventually going to pick up a herman miller embody though
__________________
Bunch of Apple products
jetjaguar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:12 PM   #22
brentsg
macrumors 68020
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.
I guess it's a function of how the chair takes care of your body, how many hours you spend in it, and how long the chair lasts.

I am using a ~$250 chair that was quite nice when new, but I'm 2 years in and it's been broken down for a long time. My problem isn't so much the justification of funds as much as the logistics of trying these things out. My local stores seem to carry high end "house brands" and such, but I've not been able to test drive the ones I'm interested in.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:41 PM   #23
flynz4
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I guess it's a function of how the chair takes care of your body, how many hours you spend in it, and how long the chair lasts.

I am using a ~$250 chair that was quite nice when new, but I'm 2 years in and it's been broken down for a long time. My problem isn't so much the justification of funds as much as the logistics of trying these things out. My local stores seem to carry high end "house brands" and such, but I've not been able to test drive the ones I'm interested in.
We have always bought inexpensive (~$100 - $200) chairs from Costco or Staples. They always seemed adequate. Then... at work we got Steelcase "Leap" ergonomic chairs and all of a sudden the home chairs started feeling like crap in comparison. Once spoiled, the inexpensive chairs just don't cut it anymore.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #24
forza69
macrumors 6502a
 
forza69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
How can you justify spending only $99 on a chair? Is your health and well-being really not worth much to you?

"Excessive" is highly subjective (as are "comfortable" and countless other words). Use what works for you but don't assume that your preferences and situation are universal no matter what the topic. There are plenty that find your Apple products excessive.
Those who find what I have excessive are those who can't afford it. I simply asked how (I'm guessing you) and others can spend $600+ on a chair. If your health and well-being is affected by sitting down too much, well I feel bad for you. I have a job where I'm active 95% of the time, so no, to me a chair is not worth the money nor does it affect my health, but I wanted to know from some of you why it would be. I guess I got my answer. Jesus Christ, can't ask a simple question nowadays without being snapped at by some kid who thinks they know everything.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15.4" Retina Display running OS X Mavericks 10.9 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB & iPad Air Silver 32GB both running iOS 7.0.3
forza69 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
Those who find what I have excessive are those who can't afford it. I simply asked how (I'm guessing you) and others can spend $600+ on a chair. If your health and well-being is affected by sitting down too much, well I feel bad for you. I have a job where I'm active 95% of the time, so no, to me a chair is not worth the money nor does it affect my health, but I wanted to know from some of you why it would be. I guess I got my answer. Jesus Christ, can't ask a simple question nowadays without being snapped at by some kid who thinks they know everything.
You are a serious chair snob. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That said, I can easily afford one, but I choose not to. BTW, I'm a 60 year old man in perfect health, even though I sit on cheap office chairs
__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 46" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, Asus ChromeBox, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's

Last edited by Mr. McMac; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend a computer chair Tech686239 Community Discussion 0 Apr 12, 2013 10:28 AM
Office Chair on Carpet. christurbo Community Discussion 11 Feb 5, 2013 01:06 PM
All iPads: iPad Rocking Chair Munch iPad Accessories 6 Dec 18, 2012 06:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC