Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alsec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Los Angeles
I hope I'm in the right thread for this post. If not, sorry and let me know!

So I'm in the market for a new computer chair. I'm looking for something that will allow me to sit for hours as I work at home. Show me what you use?!

Thanks!

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
an all black Kinnarps 6244 N34

6244N34.jpg

info

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I'm using an Aeron with the posturefit lumbar support. If you buy one, make sure to sit in it in a store and pick the right size for you (A,B, or C). There are guidelines based on your height etc., but the wrong size will either not give you enough support or make the part right behind your knee fall asleep, unless you remove the little cushion in the front of the seat underneath it. Still better to get the right size to start with.

With the correct size it is a fantastic chair for working very long periods of time sitting at your computer. And I second the footrest recommendation.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
loved my aeron while it was good, but dissapointed on its longevity

but after about 3-4 years the mesh on the back and seat ripped down through the middle, from only home use, no office environment.

not exactly obesely huge either 6'3", 250.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Steelcase Leap. Expensive... but industrial strength. I use one in the corporate office, and then bought two for our home office.

/Jim

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.

SamPhoto

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2007
I found an absolutely PERFECT Herman Miller Aeron chair in a consignment store a few years ago. Cost me $125 and it's the best chair I've ever owned, plus it has the lumbar attachment. It might be hard to cough up enough money to buy a new one, but if something happened to this one I just might. It doesn't get any better than this.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I have that $99 Staples chair and it's super comfortable. What I'd like to know from some of you is, how can you justify spending $600-??? on a chair? I know some of you sit on it for quite a while but damn. Seems a bit excessive.

I agree. I personally think spending $600 on an office chair is a waste of money. At least for me it is. BTW I just got that Staples chair to replace a broken $100 Costco chair I bought in 2007. I took the chair back to Costco and I got full credit for it. Sounds unbelievable doesn't it?

Attachments

• IMG_0003_zps887d9f51.jpg
    IMG_0003_zps887d9f51.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
A Serta office chair my wife and I got at Office Max. It was about $100 and it's comfortable.

We've had it about a year and it's held up good so far. It has a massaging thing built in that works well if you like that sort of thing (my kids use it all the time when they are sitting in it, I never use it).

Attachments

• 23016077i_01.jpg
    23016077i_01.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 175

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How can you justify spending only $99 on a chair? Is your health and well-being really not worth much to you?

"Excessive" is highly subjective (as are "comfortable" and countless other words). Use what works for you but don't assume that your preferences and situation are universal no matter what the topic. There are plenty that find your Apple products excessive.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
At work, Aeron, employer bought.

At home, Ive done away with PC and desk. iPad only, and a small tucked away media server. Couch, leather arm chair, bed, etc.

----------

loved my aeron while it was good, but dissapointed on its longevity

but after about 3-4 years the mesh on the back and seat ripped down through the middle, from only home use, no office environment.

not exactly obesely huge either 6'3", 250.
Wooow, freak occurance.

We have hundreds in our office, that have been here longer than me, 7 years. And are fine.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008

I guess it's a function of how the chair takes care of your body, how many hours you spend in it, and how long the chair lasts.

I am using a ~$250 chair that was quite nice when new, but I'm 2 years in and it's been broken down for a long time. My problem isn't so much the justification of funds as much as the logistics of trying these things out. My local stores seem to carry high end "house brands" and such, but I've not been able to test drive the ones I'm interested in.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I guess it's a function of how the chair takes care of your body, how many hours you spend in it, and how long the chair lasts.

I am using a ~$250 chair that was quite nice when new, but I'm 2 years in and it's been broken down for a long time. My problem isn't so much the justification of funds as much as the logistics of trying these things out. My local stores seem to carry high end "house brands" and such, but I've not been able to test drive the ones I'm interested in.

We have always bought inexpensive (~$100 - $200) chairs from Costco or Staples. They always seemed adequate. Then... at work we got Steelcase "Leap" ergonomic chairs and all of a sudden the home chairs started feeling like crap in comparison. Once spoiled, the inexpensive chairs just don't cut it anymore.

/Jim

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
How can you justify spending only $99 on a chair? Is your health and well-being really not worth much to you?

"Excessive" is highly subjective (as are "comfortable" and countless other words). Use what works for you but don't assume that your preferences and situation are universal no matter what the topic. There are plenty that find your Apple products excessive.

Those who find what I have excessive are those who can't afford it. I simply asked how (I'm guessing you) and others can spend $600+ on a chair. If your health and well-being is affected by sitting down too much, well I feel bad for you. I have a job where I'm active 95% of the time, so no, to me a chair is not worth the money nor does it affect my health, but I wanted to know from some of you why it would be. I guess I got my answer. Jesus Christ, can't ask a simple question nowadays without being snapped at by some kid who thinks they know everything.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Those who find what I have excessive are those who can't afford it. I simply asked how (I'm guessing you) and others can spend $600+ on a chair. If your health and well-being is affected by sitting down too much, well I feel bad for you. I have a job where I'm active 95% of the time, so no, to me a chair is not worth the money nor does it affect my health, but I wanted to know from some of you why it would be. I guess I got my answer. Jesus Christ, can't ask a simple question nowadays without being snapped at by some kid who thinks they know everything.

You are a serious chair snob. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That said, I can easily afford one, but I choose not to. BTW, I'm a 60 year old man in perfect health, even though I sit on cheap office chairs

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.