Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/...m=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+d0od+(OMG!+Ubuntu!)

The Ubuntu website is once again displaying a countdown - similar to the one shown ahead of January’s Ubuntu Phone announcement.

Next to the clock sits a not-so-subtle clue about the purpose of the countdown that reads: ‘Tick, tock, tablet time!‘

Unless Canonical decide to throw a curveball into the mix here by announcing the release of an Ubuntu-powered graphics tablet I think we can all safely assume that the reveal will concern the next step in Canonical’s ‘multi-device strategy’ – namely, tablets.

If this ends up being some pre-built images for the Nexus 7 I'll be overjoyed!

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I watched the video, and I must say I am impressed. The possibility of using your apps across phone,tablet and TV is very exciting. It appears that finally, someone has come up with a way to make use of the space on a tablet screen.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Finally getting close! I have already incorporated many Ubuntu features onto my Android devices.

For those interested in have apps open on a side bar with a swipe of your thumb and be able to scroll up and down, check out Home flip in the play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lean_and_mean.HomeFlip

See here on my Nex7. Simply swipe your thumb over the top right half edge of the screen. They also have a lefty version ↓

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-19-08-55-18.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-19-08-55-18.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 112

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I'm very excited about having the ability to dock the device and have it flip to a desktop OS.

As the platform matures, if Apple doesn't respond with something equally as functional, I could see me leaving the OS X/iOS platforms.

I think Ubuntu are really onto something here.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I wonder.... if it's good on phone and tablet, should I end up getting a Linux laptop when my Air gets older...

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I wonder.... if it's good on phone and tablet, should I end up getting a Linux laptop when my Air gets older...

Depending on what you do/ need it for, you might not need a laptop. Just an external monitor to plug it into. For anything heavy you're obviously going to still need a laptop for the horsepower

For work, I could possibly get away without needing a laptop with this set up. I would love it if Apple took this idea and provided a way for an iPad to dock to an external monitor and run a desktop OS. For road warriors like my self it would really cut down on weight and bulk, especially when I'm on the train.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Depending on what you do/ need it for, you might not need a laptop. Just an external monitor to plug it into. For anything heavy you're obviously going to still need a laptop for the horsepower

For work, I could possibly get away without needing a laptop with this set up. I would love it if Apple took this idea and provided a way for an iPad to dock to an external monitor and run a desktop OS. For road warriors like my self it would really cut down on weight and bulk, especially when I'm on the train.

I don't tend to stay at home when I do my work. I'm more likely to be at the library than anywhere else. Of course, I'd need something where I can dual-boot a copy of Windows (Visual Studio). Right now, my main use is school, though.

If System76 came out with a convertible? That'd be awesome. But they recently said they have no plans to come out with one soon (I emailed them, they responded with that).

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Cool, but I never found Ubuntu to be better than Mac OS or Win. I keep it on my laptop to play around with, but there isn't much developer support for it. Ubuntu on the tablet is gonna need more programs than its desktop counterpart to be successful.

I would love to test it out on my N7 though.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why does having that option there "kill it" for you?

BTW... I would feel the same way with any OS, not just Windows.

Ubuntu running Windows apps is like Sony saying they're let you play Wii games on the PlayStation 4. It's sorta like Apple letting you run Windows on their Intel machines.

I think that people need to make up their mind before committing to a new device. We didn't have the choice 10 years ago, why do we now? Developers are going to make word processors similar to Microsoft Office, you shouldn't be able to bring your own software.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
BTW... I would feel the same way with any OS, not just Windows.

Ubuntu running Windows apps is like Sony saying they're let you play Wii games on the PlayStation 4. It's sorta like Apple letting you run Windows on their Intel machines.

I think that people need to make up their mind before committing to a new device. We didn't have the choice 10 years ago, why do we now? Developers are going to make word processors similar to Microsoft Office, you shouldn't be able to bring your own software.

The way windows programmes are emulated on Ubuntu, can be done exactly the same way on OSX. It's not uncommon for macs to run windows programs, when needed.

Well I've put Ubuntu onto a Nexus 4, and it's very much an Alpha build. It's purely for developers at this stage. Hardly anything works on it, it certainly doesn't support voice calling on the EE network in the UK, neither does it support any form of network connectivity aside from WiFi.

The gestures looked much better in the youtube videos, and gestures along the top are possibly going to cause problems with web pages that have icons that need to be clicked. I tried to get rid of the cookies warning on the Ubuntu homepage, it was next to impossible.

The OS isn't going to frighten Apple or Google in the slightest, as a Phone OS, but I still think the advantage the platform has is the ability to boot into a full desktop OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.