Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

And It's now up to XBOX

I was not impressed by the PS4. I will not be buying one. We waited all of this time for social integration? How much social integration does a person need? I knew it, most every company has run out of ideas.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I was not impressed by the PS4. I will not be buying one. We waited all of this time for social integration? How much social integration does a person need? I knew it, most every company has run out of ideas.
Obviously you didn't watch the whole video or missed a lot.

-8-core processor
-GDDR 5 memory 175GB/s bandwidth
-Dual Shock 4 controller w/ touch pad, share, lightbar and more.
-Games remain in session by pressing power off button on control...Put the PS4 into sleep mode...No more long boot times...Just wake it up and go...Low power consumption.
-Secondary chip to manage background processing
-Be able to stream legacy games; although I'd prefer the actual disc, but it's better than nothing.
-Personalize; system can get to know you. Likes and dislikes. Predict games you like to download ahead of time.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:03 PM   #3
7thson
macrumors 6502

Of course you're not going to buy it. Your parents will buy it for you.
7thson is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:07 PM   #4
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post

-8-core processor
-Games remain in session by pressing power off button on control...Put the PS4 into sleep mode...No more long boot times...Just wake it up and go...Low power consumption.
-Be able to stream legacy games; although I'd prefer the actual disc, but it's better than nothing.
-Personalize; system can get to know you. Likes and dislikes. Predict games you like to download ahead of time.
I can't wait!!! I was late to the conference but I swear I think I heard 8GB ram not processor but then you watch the whole thing so its prob an 8 core

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
Haha truee

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
Haha truee
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:14 PM   #5
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a

If there is no white version, not buying.
AbyssImpact is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:37 PM   #6
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post

-8-core processor
But all of this amounts to nothing. All that is PR psycho babble, I can pretty much guarantee that the console is not going to "know you", I always hated Genius.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:56 PM   #7
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
You didn't even see the console, and only know a tiny amount of info about it, and yet you've already definitively decided you aren't buying it? Something tells me you probably made up your mind before the presentation.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 AM   #8
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
You didn't even see the console, and only know a tiny amount of info about it, and yet you've already definitively decided you aren't buying it? Something tells me you probably made up your mind before the presentation.

Touch screens and social media, that's all anyone can think of nowadays. I was fed up with Facebook years ago.

Everyone knows that the console will look just like the PS3. We're smart enough now, you know when they've run out of ideas. Like the Wii U, sorry but these companies are going to have to try a little bit harder than that.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:09 AM   #9
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Touch screens and social media, that's all anyone can think of nowadays. I was fed up with Facebook years ago.

Everyone knows that the console will look just like the PS3. We're smart enough now, you know when they've run out of ideas. Like the Wii U, sorry but these companies are going to have to try a little bit harder than that.
So improved hardware and games aren't enough? What exactly were you looking for then? I'm not a big fan of the social aspect of the PS4, but the improved graphics look great, and should only get better as time goes on. I'm curious, what exactly would it take to impress you? What are you hoping the Xbox to offer?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:02 AM   #10
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:

How do you know it's going to look "just like the PS3"? Sure there's design lineage, but the PSOne looked different than the PS2, which looked different than the PS3.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:39 AM   #11
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

The only game I pretty much play is Halo, so the next Xbox will be my gaming system of choice. But I guarantee the PS4 will be just as, if not more, successful then the next Xbox. It seems to be a power-hour from the specs and I think it has a lot going for it. But for me, it's all about the games, and most games I play aside from Halo are not PS exclusives (NHL, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc).

But honestly, I cannot stand that placement of the left analog stick on the PS controller, nor even the general ergonomics of the entire controller. I realize this is personal opinion, but I just feel the 360 controller is far superior.

//I own a 360 and a PS3, so don't write me off as completely bias
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:03 AM   #12
Miharu
macrumors 6502

Facebook is everywhere... I use it a lot for communication but I don't really want it to integrate into every single aspect of my life. Soon all government services etc. will require a Facebook (or Twitter) account :P I can't wait for EU to put more regulations against it.

Best part of the PS4 is the ability to pause and resume games, it's a real time saver.
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Valkyre
macrumors regular

nobody is going to miss you OP...

your decision was made looooooooooong before the actual presentation.

Your trolling lvl is too damn low...
Valkyre is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:46 AM   #14
SumoHamster
macrumors 6502a

I'm currently an Xbox player and have never played with a PS3 (or 2, or 1). However, the specs on the PS4 certainly looked good. Looking forward to seeing Microsoft's presentation so I can begin figuring out which one I'll get.
SumoHamster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Kurri
macrumors member

obviously i'm waiting to see the 360 before i decide, but i was impressed with the ps4. looks great! cant wait to see the xbox to make an educated decision
Kurri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:36 AM   #16
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

First, not everything in this world is designed for you. While you may not care for the social integration, many others will.

What features would make a new console appealing to you? You've dismissed the PS4 features but now stated your benchmark. This way when the next XBox is released we'll have something to refer to.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:48 AM   #17
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

An easy way to put the console to sleep and later quickly jump back into a game = hell to the yes. I've wanted a feature like that for years.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:54 AM   #18
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
But all of this amounts to nothing. All that is PR psycho babble, I can pretty much guarantee that the console is not going to "know you", I always hated Genius.
There are plenty of features mentioned that does not focus on Facebook, yet you use it as your main argument. Why?

It will be able to play a downloaded game as it is being downloaded and update the system/games when powered off. This means no more waiting for updates to install and games to be downloaded. The streaming of gameplay will make it possible for friends to spectate or even join if you so choose. And then we have the hardware specifications that, while in this stage only numbers, will enable very heavy gameplay as the developers get to know the platform. And this is just a first look. I am not a fanboy, I will not be getting the PS4 at release and I do hate the whole Facebook/social gaming-thing, but I can't just stick my fingers in my ears and go "not impressed lalalala".
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:23 AM   #19
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
First, not everything in this world is designed for you. While you may not care for the social integration, many others will.
+ as far as we are aware - they are optional .....

Seriously OP your opening thread was the shallowest attempt at masking fanboyism and ignorance - which credit to the regular posters here in this forum section, none of us fell for....
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Your brilliant. I mean, last night I saw how good the machine was as both a game player/addict and a developer. But you've opened my eyes to how bad the machine is.
I don't know what to do now!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:10 PM   #21
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
That share button has destroyed my interest in buying the PS4...that button is too much of a distraction to ignore. Sony just lost a customer.

..and whats the deal with not having a start/select button I mean seriously

Bless
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

I'm surprised people are surprised that Sony did anything more than tease this far in advance of E3. If Sony laid it all on the table today they'd have nothing big to show at E3 and people would complain that Sony's E3 presser sucked because it was just a rehash of what they unveiled months prior. I assume MS will unveil the next Xbox at E3 and Sony can't afford to let *the* story of E3 be MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
The only game I pretty much play is Halo, so the next Xbox will be my gaming system of choice. But I guarantee the PS4 will be just as, if not more, successful then the next Xbox. It seems to be a power-hour from the specs and I think it has a lot going for it. But for me, it's all about the games, and most games I play aside from Halo are not PS exclusives (NHL, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc)
Sony always does a good job of selling specs even when reality doesn't agree with their PR. I mean, the PS3's cell processor and games on huge Blu-ray discs were supposed to rule this gen of consoles and the PS2's Emotion Engine was supposed to give us Toy Story level graphics in real time...

Announcements are cool but it's all just hot air until the products get out into the wild.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:41 PM   #23
gkarris
macrumors 604

I've always been partial to US consoles and games (Atari... )

I was happy when XBox came out and had Halo. Sony/Nintendo consoles and games are good too, but I'm happy that there's an American company making games and a console.

As you can see, the Sony intro seems to have showcased their Japanese game partners, oh, and they had to throw in Blizzard (US) for good measure.

It's all about the games anyways, not the systems - especially in this era where the hardware is more than capable. MS will deliver.

Since money is tight (I traded part of my collection for a Wii U and games - didn't have to spend any cash) I won't be getting the new MS or Sony until the systems are around $200.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:54 PM   #24
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
I've always been partial to US consoles and games (Atari... )

I was happy when XBox came out and had Halo. Sony/Nintendo consoles and games are good too, but I'm happy that there's an American company making games and a console.

As you can see, the Sony intro seems to have showcased their Japanese game partners, oh, and they had to throw in Blizzard (US) for good measure.

It's all about the games anyways, not the systems - especially in this era where the hardware is more than capable. MS will deliver.

Since money is tight (I traded part of my collection for a Wii U and games - didn't have to spend any cash) I won't be getting the new MS or Sony until the systems are around $200.
Sony's intro showcased their Global game partners; Ubisoft is Canadian, Media Molecule is British, Blizzard is American, SuckerPunch is American, Quantic Dream is French, SquarEnix is Japanese, Guerrilla Games is Dutch, etc.

I get the "America **** Yeah" mentality, but I know that the reality is, my 360 is made in the same Foxconn plant as my Macs and PS3.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:59 PM   #25
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
But all of this amounts to nothing.
What the **** are you looking for if those specs AND the useless frills do nothing for you?

I hate video games and I'm thoroughly impressed by the specs of this machine. What exactly are you looking for if the hugely improved gaming system, and the extras aren't what you are looking for?
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games