Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

There was plenty to show. They revealed the most important parts of the PS4, as well as the PSN Store, which will be huge for this console.

What you and others wanted was for them to unveil price, release date, and the consoles appearance. In due time. Sony did a good job in their presentation, and running out Blizzard and Bungie to show third party support is not something Sony PR is going to have to spin.

Bungie support was already known.
Blizzard showed Diablo III. We also knew that.
Who cares for a PSN Store when there are no amazing games?

All that social media stuff is something I don't need. All I want is a great gaming experience. Where are the good old days. No online gaming just you and you friends on the sofa playing games hardcore. Those were the golden years in gaming kids.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Who cares for a PSN Store when there are no amazing games?

All that social media stuff is something I don't need. All I want is a great gaming experience. Where are the good old days. No online gaming just you and you friends on the sofa playing games hardcore. Those were the golden years in gaming kids.
You're probably right. Since they didn't announce new games today, there probably won't be any at launch.

C

champ01

By the time 4K becomes the norm [i.e. even remotely affordable], we'll be talking about PlayStation 5.

No its not. As a businessman myself I go to a few fairs here and there. Prices could be affordable within 2 years. It all depends on the schemes companies try to pull.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Um no. It most likely won't. The raw computing power of PowerVR GPU in the A6X barely breaks 40 GFlops whereas the PS4 one is 1840 GFlops. There are rumored next gen PowerVR reference GPUs which reach all the way to 350 GFlops, but even those aren't anywhere near what the PS4 is bound to offer.

Do you know what the ps3 has by any chance? Cant seem to find it

----------

ps4 will fail harder than ps3. im so disappointed with you sony. but we had good times during ps1 and ps2 era.

RIP PlayStation 1994-2013

Please try harder next time

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
No its not. As a businessman myself I go to a few fairs here and there. Prices could be affordable within 2 years. It all depends on the schemes companies try to pull.
It could, but it's highly improbable, given the current roadmap.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
"Affordable" is a relative term but 4K TVs are $15,000 on the low end right now and I don't think prices will drop enough in the next 24 months for widespread adaption to start. 5-8yrs is a realistic timeframe for mainstream 4K TV adoption, IMO.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010

You knew about Blizzard? How? That's the news that surprised most of the gaming sites writing about this. Nothing were known seeing as nobody knew about the PS4 before this of course, but I haven't seen any rumors about Diablo III?
The good old days weren't better, you just remember it that way. Very basic psychology. Good thing you're not developing games. With that attitude we'd be stuck playing cowboys and indians outside with our hands.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
iOS games have got to be the most popular mobile games or at least extremely popular. Hardware and software-wise, the Apple TV could do everything a Wii or Wii U could do plus a lot more, but it couldn't do what a 360 or PS3 could do. Basically any game with less complicated graphics could be played on an ATV with the player's choice of Bluetooth controllers, all on the same device that runs the movies, music, and maybe TV shows on the TV.

Software wise? The main reason people buy Nintendo is their games, which won't be available on the Apple TV. Furthermore, the Apple TV can't do the dual screen asymmetric gameplay that the Wii U has and even if they integrate the iPad with the ATV to accomplish that it will be significantly more expensive and I doubt it will be as lag free as the Wii U controller (not to mention a lot more uncomfortable for gaming)

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
It's so mind blowing if they actually showed you the console your head would explode. This was like calling a press conference about a car and showing you the steering wheel and bragging about how great it is going to be to drive, but no car.

Regular people don't care what something looks like, they care how it performs, what's the experience like and so on. One could say that's the difference between Apple fanboys and regular people. Sony focused on what's important, not about how shiny their new console is.

No images, release date or pricing. Worst product announcement of 2013 so far? :rolleyes:

There is a release date, Q4 2013, which is as precise as one can get with such product. Images? Of what, the console? Read my comment above.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.
They are using AMD APU if the press release is to be believed. That means the CPU and GPU are already on one die. So the price should be fairly inexpensive.

C

champ01

You knew about Blizzard? How? That's the news that surprised most of the gaming sites writing about this. Nothing were known seeing as nobody knew about the PS4 before this of course, but I haven't seen any rumors about Diablo III?

If you kept an eye on some game sites you would've figured it out.

The good old days weren't better, you just remember it that way. Very basic psychology. Good thing you're not developing games. With that attitude we'd be stuck playing cowboys and indians outside with our hands.

Yes it was 100% better. We had new games every week. Its all about the games.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
All a bit meh really.. What does everyone else think?

I purchased a PS3 about 6 years ago. Use it every day for a little gaming and for an hour of TV which I transfer into it via the MacPro...

Why would I need a PS4?

The PS3 utilizes 1080, it is a brilliant media server, it is a great game center for anything from PS1-PS3, it's a smart TV system, and it can be expanded as needed.

Games on the PS3 have been less engaging than the ones for PS2, in general. I can't imagine PS4 games becoming that much better due to the trending in games.

When summed up, a PS4 seems like a redundant console if someone has a PS3. It only has gimmicky additions that are more icing and less cake. I'll skip this next generation unless there is something completely amazing. I think they should have waited a few more years until the tech shift settles and the processors are more advanced to handle HDK4 with ease.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If you kept an eye on some game sites you would've figured it out.

Yes it was 100% better. We had new games every week. Its all about the games.

Games didn't take as long to develop. They were cheaper to develop. And the bean counters allowed more experimentation. That is all missing with home consoles. Apple could get that back if they had a standard packed in controller with every AppleTV as the touchscreen doesn't allow for some type of games to be played (easily).

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
As a big sony fan, this looks very interesting.
The PS3 could pull of games like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Last of US etc. with just 512 mb of RAM (256 for cpu and 256 for GPU). You cant even run a modern OS with that amount of memory. It just goes to show the optimization capabilities that these developers have. Can wait to see what they pull off with 8 gigs of RAM.

What can they pull off with 8GB of RAM? More bloat! Tiger could be running perfectly with 512 MB RAM and it is a fully featured modern OS. Now compare that to Lion which chokes with 2 GB already. 8 GB of RAM does not mean anything - it may just mean the developers will stop caring about optimization.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Seriously. A console is about GAMES right?

Did we see the games we wanted to see?

Why do you think Naughty Dog wasn't there to present us something?
Why do you think there was no Final Fantasy, No MGS, No LBP, No Tekken, No GT, No Resident Evil etc. etc. All the games we hoped to see where not there!

And you claim to be from the PS1,2 and 3 generation? New console announcements always show off new IPs. Publishers withhold new IPs for the big generation leap. That's how it has always been. Only Nintendo relies on showing their series redone for the new generation, because people buy Nintendo for their first party content.

We got nothing but new series and new content. We all know there will be Resident Evil, LBP, MGS, Final Fantasy, GT. We know those games are coming, we also know the people who make those games are still heavily invested in current gen. There are new MGS, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil games coming out for current hardware. It'd be stupid of them to show off next gen content of those games. Marketing 101 (and I don't even work in marketing).

I've been a Sony fan from day one but when the year came by Sony became worse and worse. PS3 only had a few good titles but was nothing compared to the games available on the PS1 and PS2. Seeing this PS4 presentation going into history as the most boring one of all times I don't see a great future ahead.

I've been a gaming fan since the mid 80's. But I think you've got rose tinted glasses on there. This generation has more 90%+ rated games (http://www.gamerankings.com) than any other gen. It's insane how good games are getting. Next gen (just with Wii U and PS4 so far) are really going after the social side of gaming too, which is just another layer of addiction and immersion.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Sadly the PS4 is way behind iOS and XBOX 360.

1. Move, why is this still around? Who wants to wave a wand around. Microsoft has got something great and I think their Kinect will be even better with the next gen XBOX.

2. Apple updates hardware often, putting the latest thing out there. It also sells 100 million more devices than Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony ever made combined in less time. This is great for developers taking advantage of latest technologies. It's also great for consumers who want to play games wherever they go and have games made for their latest gen handheld device.

3. Apple TV can seriously kill the PS4 and Xbox. All Apple needs to do is put a little more hardware into it and you'll have games like COD or BF avaialble very soon. At a price of $99 this will be in EVERYONES living room. Don't believe me, just wait and see!

Not saying the PS and Xbox will die, all I'm saying is, developers will more likely deal with a company who can produce 100 million more units.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What can they pull off with 8GB of RAM? More bloat! Tiger could be running perfectly with 512 MB RAM and it is a fully featured modern OS. Now compare that to Lion which chokes with 2 GB already. 8 GB of RAM does not mean anything - it may just mean the developers will stop caring about optimization.

Hilarious. Old operating systems with less background services, less features needs less ram.
Consoles need more. Resolutions are high, so textures have to be larger. New mapping techniques, shaders, post-processing all requires so much video ram. The machine itself is recording footage all the time, it downloads and uploads content in the background. Can't you see why systems (consoles and computers) need more ram?

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I wonder if I will be able to play my PS3 games on the new PS4..?

They teased at this idea -- that when they get their network up and running by gaikai (spelling?), it's supposed to be blazing fast, provide instant try-before-you-buy and ability to purchase/download games from PS1--PS4.

Hopefully it happens!

MadJens

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Being an avid gamer since 1990 at the age of 3 I certainly know what a game machine needs to be and this PS4 is going to deliver that big time! And on a apple forum I certainly dont expect users to understand that. This machine calls for pure gaming by not wanting to revolutionize and setting new rules but rather through evolution of what has been amazing on the PS3. Games are aspiring to be like movies and with the PS4 they will get nearer to that! No motion control stuff, no mandatory second screen, because its what on the TV screen that counts! Getting better emotional stories, atmospheres, etc. is what future gaming needs and certainly no gadgets that will be outdated. Its all about the immersion and story-telling!

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
And you claim to be from the PS1,2 and 3 generation? New console announcements always show off new IPs. Publishers withhold new IPs for the big generation leap. That's how it has always been. Only Nintendo relies on showing their series redone for the new generation, because people buy Nintendo for their first party content.

We got nothing but new series and new content. We all know there will be Resident Evil, LBP, MGS, Final Fantasy, GT. We know those games are coming, we also know the people who make those games are still heavily invested in current gen. There are new MGS, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil games coming out for current hardware. It'd be stupid of them to show off next gen content of those games. Marketing 101 (and I don't even work in marketing).

Exactly. Not to mention Kojima Productions did show off Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes a few months ago, which uses their new FOX engine... I wouldn't be surprised if this is aimed at PS4. As you mentioned, there's the new release of Metal Gear Rising as of this week.

And didn't Square-Enix mention a new Final Fantasy for PS4 to be presented at E3?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sadly the PS4 is way behind iOS and XBOX 360.

1. Move, why is this still around? Who wants to wave a wand around. Microsoft has got something great and I think their Kinect will be even better with the next gen XBOX.
Huge potential with Move, and by the sounds of it MM have found a way to make it work. Did you see the video? If that really was done in 1 take then I'm impressed, and I can foresee lots of user generated content.

2. Apple updates hardware often, putting the latest thing out there. It also sells 100 million more devices than Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony ever made combined in less time. This is great for developers taking advantage of latest technologies. It's also great for consumers who want to play games wherever they go and have games made for their latest gen handheld device.
Yet Nintendo alone pulls in (and I worked this out once) £4 billion on the Pokemon series on the DS alone. £30 games that sell in their millions, even though cheaper games exist. Numbers may be smaller but it seems the profit isn't.

3. Apple TV can seriously kill the PS4 and Xbox. All Apple needs to do is put a little more hardware into it and you'll have games like COD or BF avaialble very soon. At a price of $99 this will be in EVERYONES living room. Don't believe me, just wait and see!
What Sony showed and what Nintendo are doing is way more than COD and BF. We've got games like Destiny coming out, which is a true "next gen" (as much as I hate that term) shooter.

Just wait and see, like we've been doing with the Apple TV for years now. A machine to compete against the hardware power of the PS4 for $99, sure!

Not saying the PS and Xbox will die, all I'm saying is, developers will more likely deal with a company who can produce 100 million more units.
So why aren't they already? The big hitters for iOS are tiny minigames. They're not from Konami, Capcom, Sega, Bungie, Valve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.