Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RustyTank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I've been looking everywhere, but I don't seem to be able to find a sollution for my needs.

I have a mac mini (mid 2011) running in my living room with Plex Media server and client installed. I mostly play MKV files with subtitles embedded and sometimes external srt subtitle files. The Mac Mini is hooked up via HDMI with my TV and this works great! I can play all my files without problem.

Now I want to have a tv in my bedroom at the attic. I already have a 1gb ethernet cable running from the living room router, but I can't seem to find a (the best) sollution to play the MKV files with subtitles.

As far as I know plex will always transcode mkv files with subtitles and or DTS sound when the file is played on another device than were the Plex server is installed. Trancoding MKV files with subs and or DTS sound just doesn't seem possilbe.....

Currently I have nothing set up attic bedroom, so the sollutions I looked at are TV's on which I can install the Plex App, Roku players and other media players, but the problem is that Plex will always transcode and not direct play my files. I don't want to remux all my data (3tb) again to prevent this. I'm sure it should be possible to have player that directly accesses my data on the mac mini without transcoding, but I haven't found it yet.

Any suggestions that I can look at?

Last edited:

RustyTank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Handbrake has subs options and can transcode MKV files into pretty much anything you want...And it's free. You probably know this already, but VLC can play MKV files without requiring any further container change:

Thanks for the suggestion, but as stated in my post I don't want to remux my data again. To use VLC in the attic would mean I need a second computer there, while I think that cheaper sollutions should be possible (either apps on TV or network media players that don't transcode, but direct play)

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Put a Raspberry Pi (35$) with raspbmc on your bedroom TV to play the MKV's directly.

RustyTank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Does anyone know if the RasberryPi or the Plex server transcodes the data or can I use this in the same ways as the plex client as if it was on the same machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.