Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
What evidence is there that the lack of optical drive or upgrade options are driven by Ive? Could very well be that Apple sees optical drive as something trending out of the product line and as a result of not having an optical drive they were a able to make a thiner machine that weighed less. I highly doubt the #1 consideration on the new iMac was getting a 5mm edge. :rolleyes:

That is all pure guesswork on your part. I don't see a single shred of evidence to back it up.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That is all pure guesswork on your part. I don't see a single shred of evidence to back it up.

Well so is the assumption that removing an optical drive or not being able to upgrade something is driven by Ive's obsession with thinness. Where is the evidence he gets to decide whether or not you can upgrade certain components in a device? He's not SVP of hardware engineering.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I can't wait to physical media is dead - furthermore that includes paper and printers, seriously in 2013 I don't understand my printing should be necessary in any situation...

I can't understand why people get so emotional over CD/DVD media.
Some of us need it some of us don't. I personally don't use (Physical media)
but my wife (through school) cannot live without it at this stage.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
This man is the reason I became and remain an Apple fan. Steve Jobs is a legend but what made me start paying attention was the unibody MacBook Pro and I believe that was Jony's idea among others.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
This man is the reason I became and remain an Apple fan. Steve Jobs is a legend but what made me start paying attention was the unibody MacBook Pro and I believe that was Jony's idea among others.

I agree, when Steve Jobs died I worried about the state of Apple, but if Jony went I would really worry about where Apple is heading!

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Well so is the assumption that removing an optical drive or not being able to upgrade something is driven by Ive's obsession with thinness. Where is the evidence he gets to decide whether or not you can upgrade certain components in a device? He's not SVP of hardware engineering.

ive has become more and more prominent (see your sig) and at the same time we have seen ridiculous limitations on hardware and upgrades in expensive machines. design is become even more important to apple which has led to scratchgate etc

wasnt it in the steve jobs book that at apple they designed the product and it was up to the engineer to make everything fit inside?

you obviously have quite the affection for him but what exactly do you want to credit him with if it is wrong to assume his design control is limiting the products?

and regarding people being sensitive about losing a feature most didnt use then why putting in thunderbolt which looks like its going to take off never. i dont know any mac user around me that used firewire etc etc

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I wonder when he'll actually create something fresh & new to demonstrate his skills? There's been lots of talk, but little to show for it in recent times. Surely he can do better than a stretched out iPhone.

Yes, yes I know... There's the iWatch, but I believe that was already in the pipeline before Steve died. Remember "the five years of products" Jobs supposedly left behind...

If recent rumors are true, the next iPhone will look just like the current one, save for a few millimeters here or there.

This is Apple remember...

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I wonder when he'll actually create something fresh & new to demonstrate his skills? There's been lots of talk, but little to show for it in recent times. Surely he can do better than a stretched out iPhone.

Yes, yes I know... There's the iWatch, but I believe that was already in the pipeline before Steve died. Remember "the five years of products" Jobs supposedly left behind...

If recent rumors are true, the next iPhone will look just like the current one, save for a few millimeters here or there.

I lost faith in the 5 year product life line when I saw the products come out this year and last year - minor changes and screen size changes doesn't count as a worthy update for 2 years...

Saying that - it was far more worthy than the past couple of iOS updates sigh..

I'm not sure what the staff has been doing - maybe they don't do anything until SJ shouts at them :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

So if the iPhone 5 had been taller AND wider that would have been fresh? And why does an iPhone need to look completely different every year? Especially when so many iPhone customers are on 2-year contracts? I don't care if the 5S hardware looks like the 5. iOS 7 is what matters and hopefully we see Ive's influence there.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
ive has become more and more prominent (see your sig) and at the same time we have seen ridiculous limitations on hardware and upgrades in expensive machines. design is become even more important to apple which has led to scratchgate etc

wasnt it in the steve jobs book that at apple they designed the product and it was up to the engineer to make everything fit inside?

you obviously have quite the affection for him but what exactly do you want to credit him with if it is wrong to assume his design control is limiting the products?

and regarding people being sensitive about losing a feature most didnt use then why putting in thunderbolt which looks like its going to take off never. i dont know any mac user around me that used firewire etc etc
All I'm saying is I don't think Ive is the final say on whether an product contains an optical drive, FW vs thunderblolt or you can upgrade the ram. I mean what's really different design-wise between the 21" and 27" iMac that would allow you upgrade ram on one but not the other? Seems to me if Apple wanted you to be able to upgrade the ram on the 21" there's nothing in the design that would have precluded them from doing it.

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Childlike excitement,

I loved the extended clip clip. Jonny Ive and I are about the same age and British. I which I could maintain his obvious playfulness in my own life! I loved how exited he looked in getting his gold Blue Peter badge!

Sweet...

Thanks for the MacBook Jonny, it's seen me through 4 years of mature undergraduate study!

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Just this video shows how much thought Jony puts into design. Critics can say that Apple is loosing its ground in OS X or iOS is becoming dated. But design is the only thing about Apple that has never been criticized. That's how good it is. Jony is Apple's greatest remaining soul.

You don't know the difference between loose and lose? Loose = opposite of tight (e.g. loose women, loose knot). Lose = no longer have possession of something (e.g. lose your shirt, lose money).

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
So if the iPhone 5 had been taller AND wider that would have been fresh? And why does an iPhone need to look completely different every year? Especially when so many iPhone customers are on 2-year contracts? I don't care if the 5S hardware looks like the 5. iOS 7 is what matters and hopefully we see Ive's influence there.

It's about functionality, not cosmetic appearance. If the iPhone 5 would have had a 4.7" or 4.8" display with the same aspect ratio as the Galaxy S 3 or HTC One series, that would have been a terrific improvement.

Believe it or not, there are a huge number of users that enjoy working in landscape mode when typing. The iPhones keyboard takes up half of the display in that mode leaving very little room to work. Compared to a larger display the iPhone slows one down & contributes to typing errors. Not to mention being a very little window with which to view the web. Not all of us are addicted to Apps when we can see the web natively on a larger display.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Apple didn't remove the internal optical drive in order to make the Mac thinner. What is wrong with you people?

localhost8080

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
Apple didn't remove the internal optical drive in order to make the Mac thinner. What is wrong with you people?

lol. I have to deal with people all the time who dont get the difference.
apple couldnt fit the drive into their new thin design, so they didnt shoehorn it in.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
This man is a genius. What I wouldn't give to have a one hour conversation with him.

This is something most brand managers and graphic designers all know. He's just blessed to be in a company where the design department has a lot more say than other departments like marketing. Almost any industrial designers can come up with a great looking design. Look at all the concept cars before they hit the production line. Design gets washed down tremendously due to all the different departments in the company pushing for things they want and need. In order for something to look as clean as Apple, the higher ups have to have a strong stance on design, otherwise it'll look like a mish mash of everyone's opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.