Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I'm getting a Logan's Run flashback to the palm implant. This device will be your electronic identity. hopefully you will be able to remove it. I'll buy it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The neg comments on here are hi-lar-i-us. Bashing as-if they had ever invented anything of note or even taken an unknown product to "must have" levels.

A) It's just a patent. Who knows if it's the form factor, or if it will even be a real product. Apple files cases of patents every year, many of which never see the light of day.

B) It's been a long time since Apple has pushed out a product that was more unusable than usable. And generally Apple is conservative in pushing out all-new marquee products. Not sured I'd be betting against Apple here, though that never stopped any of the true visionaries here who dismiss all new Apple ideas... "who's going to buy a $500 iPad when you can get a more powerful netbook for half that price!"

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Now instead of seeing people playing with their iPhones everywhere, people will be looking at their watches every 10 seconds to see if they got an update from Facebook.

slprescott

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
The level of detail in this application sounds like they're really thinking through the details of building it -- not just blocking others from this category.

I'm optimistic about this -- it's an opportunity for Apple to create a new category that goes way beyond just a watch to really a wrist-mounted device that serves as a conduit to many other elements of the ecosystem: TV, iPod, GPS, phone, etc.

Last edited:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
The neg comments on here are hi-lar-i-us. Bashing as-if they had ever invented anything of note or even taken an unknown product to "must have" levels.

A) It's just a patent. Who knows if it's the form factor, or if it will even be a real product. Apple files cases of patents every year, many of which never see the light of day.

B) It's been a long time since Apple has pushed out a product that was more unusable than usable. And generally Apple is conservative in pushing out all-new marquee products. Not sured I'd be betting against Apple here, though that never stopped any of the true visionaries here who dismiss all new Apple ideas... "who's going to buy a $500 iPad when you can get a more powerful netbook for half that price!"

Love your comment! You hit the nail in the head!

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Not interested

The idea of a screen on your arm is good but unless it's at least as big as an iPhone screen I don't see much use. I stopped wearing a watch a few years ago because for the discomfort I didn't get enough out of it. Move it up to your arm and give it a 4"-5" screen then we can talk. Until then I'm not interested.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
If you had small wrists it could maybe be worn in other areas, perhaps around your ankle or on your gentleman's sausage.

And what if you had a small gentleman's...well...never mind!:eek:

-----------------

People still wear watches?

Yes, yes...for the millionth time...yes, people still wear watches.

Out-of-it, stupid, not-cool-like-you pathetic morons still wear watches!

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Pretty cool! I'm guessing that you'd be able to slap it on and not worry about orientation, as the gyroscopes would figure that out and show the display on the top of the wrist.

You see Samsung, THIS is innovation! Making a larger phone is not!

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Now there will be a "smart device" for all of your body parts: Apple's watch, Google's glasses, iPhone in your pocket, Bluetooth headset in your ear, Nike plus for your shoes...we are slowly becoming cyborgs if you think about it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Well, if your wrist was too small, it probably wouldn't fit there either. :D

Thanks for rubbing it in.:eek:

Ooops...wait...:eek:

Shhhhh! Maybe no one else will understand and your secret will be safe.

----------

Now there will be a "smart device" for all of your body parts: Apple's watch, Google's glasses, iPhone in your pocket, Bluetooth headset in your ear, Nike plus for your shoes...we are slowly becoming cyborgs if you think about it.

I just had a great thought, but I'd probably get suspended if I posted it. :D:D

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Exactly. Apple proving once again that it truly only emulates and rarely originates. But the fanboys will lap it up as evident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gTobCJHs

Apple pretty much copied everything to the T.

Who's the fanboy here? The one who goes to a site dedicated to something they love? Or the one who goes to a site dedicated to something they hate and wastes their lives posting about it there?

Look in the mirror kid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.