Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memin2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I'm getting an iPhone case but is there anyone who knows whether a silicone case is better or a hard case? Will the hard case protect the iPhone if it drops? Or will silicone be better. Also does silicone catch lint and dirt more easily than the hard plastic case? Let me know through your experience or preference which would be better. I'm thinking either one of below

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I personally like the semi-rigid TPU cases best. They seem to stay cleaner, are easy to put on/ take off, provide decent drop protection, and don't stretch/discolor like silicone. The hard cases are okay if they have foam or rubber lining inside to provide some shock protection when/if you drop your phone. Hard cases are inherently prone to tiny surface scratches which may or may not bother you. The cases with a front lip protect the glass front of your phone better in a drop/fall. Hope this helps.:)

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I broke two screens on my 4 with a hard case on. Seems to not do much other than crack the screen and crack the case. If you're looking for some good protection, I definitely think a silicon case is the way to go. I feel they absorb the shock of the fall better.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Define better. Provide your specific criteria. Every option always comes with pros and cons. You have to provide us with info on assessing which suits you better if you want recommendations.

Will the hard case protect the iPhone if it drops?
Depends on the case. Depends on the drop. No case is going to fully protect the device in every possible situation. Hardness != impact resistance. Hard objects tend to transfer more impact. That said, many hard cases are lined with padding of some sort.

Also does silicone catch lint and dirt more easily than the hard plastic case?
Generally speaking, yes.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm getting an iPhone case but is there anyone who knows whether a silicone case is better or a hard case? Will the hard case protect the iPhone if it drops? Or will silicone be better. Also does silicone catch lint and dirt more easily than the hard plastic case? Let me know through your experience or preference which would be better. I'm thinking either one of below

[url=http://www.bareprice.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/156537051a7b3f8bac0e1d813753d9cc/1/2/1201003.jpg]Image[/URL][url=http://www.bareprice.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/156537051a7b3f8bac0e1d813753d9cc/1/2/1207025.jpg]Image[/URL]
Softer, impact absorbing material will protect from drops better.
It's also more porous, and will discolor easier.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Silicone and rubber cases stretch out and collect lint and dog hair and dirt and the paint comes off and smell weird and stick in your pocket and lead to broken hopes and dreams.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
TPU is by far the best case material IMO. I would never go for silicone, hate the stuff. Some hard cases are OK I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.