Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Water dropped phone with non water problems?

Hey guys I'm wondering, if a phone is dropped in water but the sensors don't go off, is the warranty still void for all problems? Or does a water drop void all warranty, whether its related or not?
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:49 PM   #2
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around, who knows a tree fell?

I am saying if the senors didnt go off, who knows if the phone is water damaged?
dextr3k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:33 AM   #3
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

is there any water dripping out of it?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

It actually depends. If you dropped the phone in non-saltwater, there will be little to no residue left inside of the phone. However, if it took in salt water, there may be white residue on the inside that would indicate the phone was exposed to water. If there is residue, a quick cover up is to use some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, and clean the visible parts of the phone's internals with a cotton swab.

Even if the phone is water damaged, you can easily find replacement stickers that you can put in, and no one would be able to tell the difference.
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post

Even if the phone is water damaged, you can easily find replacement stickers that you can put in, and no one would be able to tell the difference.
In other words, engage in warranty fraud. Tacky... Besides the Apple tech could still find evidence.
old-wiz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
In other words, engage in warranty fraud. Tacky... Besides the Apple tech could still find evidence.
I am not condoning warranty fraud in any way, nor am I telling anyone to engage in warranty fraud... That is up to the person whose device is damaged, and their ethics when dealing with the situation. I am simply letting OP know what the options are, and what is on the market.

And although I do recommend being honest about an iPhone being water damaged, your statement that the Apple tech could still find out is wrong.

The reason they have the water damage indicators inside of the phone is so they can see if the indicators have been exposed to liquid (thereby changing color.) If the stickers do not change color, or are replaced with new water damage stickers, there is no indication of water damage.
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post
I am not condoning warranty fraud in any way, nor am I telling anyone to engage in warranty fraud... That is up to the person whose device is damaged, and their ethics when dealing with the situation. I am simply letting OP know what the options are, and what is on the market.

And although I do recommend being honest about an iPhone being water damaged, your statement that the Apple tech could still find out is wrong.

The reason they have the water damage indicators inside of the phone is so they can see if the indicators have been exposed to liquid (thereby changing color.) If the stickers do not change color, or are replaced with new water damage stickers, there is no indication of water damage.
It's easy to spot a water damaged phone without the sensors. The sensors are only there as a guide for technicians.

If you have rust in your phone, or internal water marks, but white stickers, your warranty is still going to be void.
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
It's easy to spot a water damaged phone without the sensors. The sensors are only there as a guide for technicians.

If you have rust in your phone, or internal water marks, but white stickers, your warranty is still going to be void.
It will not rust overnight, which is why I recommended using 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove any corrosive residue left from water. If you clean the internals of water marks, and replace the stickers, the tech has no point of reference to say that the phone is water damaged.

This thread is getting away from my intent of just informing OP of his options. This is not about trying to lie to Apple about a phone being water damaged, although OP does have that option.

I do not condone warranty fraud, nor do I think it is ethical. But we all have our own mind, and own opinions.
iRepairParts is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iPhone 4 into a pan of boiling water (crazy bubbling water) and it recovered after about 1 hour... at first I thought it was dead, the power button kept going off and on, and the headphone socket thought it was plugged in always..., but after shaking out the water and leaving it... it was fine, then I worried rust would eventually kill it... but 1 year later it's still fine!

I'm assuming the extremely bubbling water created kind of a bubble preventing much if any water actually getting in very far.
Ashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin View Post
I dropped my iPhone 4 into a pan of boiling water (crazy bubbling water) and it recovered after about 1 hour... at first I thought it was dead, the power button kept going off and on, and the headphone socket thought it was plugged in always..., but after shaking out the water and leaving it... it was fine, then I worried rust would eventually kill it... but 1 year later it's still fine!

I'm assuming the extremely bubbling water created kind of a bubble preventing much if any water actually getting in very far.
right...
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Cergman
macrumors 6502

In my experience with Apple, they rarely open the phone to check for water damage. I have taken my iPhone 5 in a few times (never dropped in water), and they never open the SIM tray to check the water sensor. If your sensors are white, I doubt they would look inside to further investigate.

I am not condoning warranty fraud like others have said above, but I am merely sharing my experiences with the water indicator stickers and Apple geniuses.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:09 PM   #12
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post

This is what I'm talking about, what if the water sensors are all good, but there is rust in the phone, and I'm having a NON-WATER related problem, such as software? DO they just assume that the only way my phone could have rust is if it was water dropped, and then reject my request for replacement even though the problem is unrelated to water?
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:16 PM   #13
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
This is what I'm talking about, what if the water sensors are all good, but there is rust in the phone, and I'm having a NON-WATER related problem, such as software? DO they just assume that the only way my phone could have rust is if it was water dropped, and then reject my request for replacement even though the problem is unrelated to water?
More than likely they would assume the rust was caused by water. However, as a previous poster said, it is unlikely that they will open the phone.

I'm sure you could plead your case with the genius if they say it was not caused by water, because you could say the sensors show no indication of being exposed to liquid.
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There's very few problems that cannot be caused by water.

And yes, your warranty would be void. To use a similar example, say you crash your car, but the airbags didn't go off. If your radio stopped working after the crash - would you take it back to the dealers before it had been repaired and expect them to replace the radio free of charge?
Brian Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:59 PM   #15
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
DO they just assume that the only way my phone could have rust is if it was water dropped, and then reject my request for replacement even though the problem is unrelated to water?
It doesn't matter if it was "water dropped" or not. Rust is caused by water. Evidence of water damage is evidence of water damage regardless of the condition of the water damage indicators. You'd have the burden of proof to demonstrate that it was a software issue and even if you did prove your case, depending on the software issue it might be a warranty matter anyway.

If you want insurance coverage then buy insurance coverage. Otherwise, deal with the consequences of your accidental damage just like everyone else.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone